Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Madam
Beginner

Those having 1 Corinthians 13

Little Madam, 4 May, 2011 at 17:16 Posted on Planning 0 7

How much are you having?

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love

I like the second paragraph, and the last line but I find the other parts a little confussing. Do you think it would be OK just to have lines 4-12?

7 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 5 May, 2011 at 09:01
  • lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

We didnt really a choice of how much the book of reading just had this...

Be ambitious for the higher gifts. And I am going to show you a way that is better than any of them.

If I have all the eloquence of men or of angels, but speak without love, I am simply a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. If I have the gift of prophecy, understanding all the mysteries there are, and knowing everything, and If I have faith in all its fullness, to move mountains, but without love, then I am nothing at all. If I give away all that I possess, piece by piece, and if I even let them take my body to burn it, but am without love, it will do me no good whatever.

Love is always patient and kind, it is never jealous; love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish; it does not take offence, and is not resentful.

Love takes no pleasure in other people’s sins but delights in the truth; it is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to ensure whatever comes.

Love does not come to an end.

This is the word of the Lord.

All: Thanks be to god

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I tried to go for the shorter version...... but..... FIL2b has had his way and we are having the longer traditional version....

I too find in confusing, but plan on making FIL2b to talk me through each line!

What other reading are you having?

• M
    Beginner
    me87 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the full version from 1-13

x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i can only reply on my phone tonight so format is poor. Our other reading is called 'the bargain' and is a short poem. Can i ask who's reading this for you? I dont know if any of my loved ones would feel comfortable with such a complicated reading.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

This is our other reading

Song of Songs 2:8-10, 14, 16; 8:6-7

For love is as strong as death.

A reading from the Song of Songs

Hark! My lover-here he comes springing across the mountains, leaping across the hills. My lover is like a gazelle or a young stag. Here he stands behind our wall, gazing through the windows, peering through the lattices. My lover speaks; he says to me, “Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one, and come! “For see, the winter is past, the rains are over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of pruning the vines has come, and the song of the dove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines, in bloom, give forth fragrance. Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one, and come! “O my dove in the clefts of the rock, in the secret recesses of the cliff, let me see you, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and you are lovely.” My lover belongs to me and I to him. He said to me: Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm; for stern as death is love, relentless as the nether world is devotion; its flames are a blazing fire. Deep waters cannot quench love, nor floods sweep it away.

H2bs sisters are doing our readings, the sister who is an altar person is doing the corinthians one, but FIL2b is planning on coaching them on where the emphasis' should be.... I know what you mean about picking who does what, as very few of our friends are christian so would not feel comfortable on that front.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I wish there was something I could find that would be more appropriate for our guests.

I remember an amazing sermon once at church about a Mirror, and how we could see love, and it was based around a reading, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was!

You are lucky to have someone on hand Lovelygirl. May have to ask the vicar to sit down and talk me through the reading.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I've found an alternative that we both really like, but worried it's too short as our second one is short too:

Mark 10:6-9

6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’[a] 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] 8 and the two will become one flesh.’[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Our second reading is:

The poem The Bargain by Sir Philip Sidney

My true love hath my heart, and I have his,
    By just exchange one for another given:
    I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss,
    There never was a better bargain driven:
    My true love hath my heart, and I have his.

His heart in me keeps him and me in one,
    My heart in him his thoughts and senses guides:
    He loves my heart, for once it was his own,
    I cherish his because in me it bides:
    My true love hath my heart, and I have his.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics