Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

PennyFarthing
Beginner

Those having a church wedding - what hymns are you having?

PennyFarthing, 27 April, 2010 at 12:29

Posted on Planning 37

I can't really decide what to have so am just being nosey as to what everyone else is having lol!

I can't really decide what to have so am just being nosey as to what everyone else is having lol!

37 replies

• Rusty the Clown
    Rusty the Clown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had these and Bind us Together. Great because every one knew them.

We also had "If you're happy and you know it" curtisy of our crazy but lovely vicar! ?

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Lord of all Hopefullness and Love Divine

By George, the other one you had was also on our shortlist but we only needed 2 in the end!

• T
    Beginner October 2010
    tango1 ·
    • Hide content

Ive just read pennyfarthings post about copyrights on songs, we havent decided on hymes yet but we have already been told that if we want to video the service we have to pay an extra £50 for copyright reasons for thr organ player playing the hymes which i think is totally crazy!

I cant understand why paying £50 makes it ok?? you should either be allowed to sing/video these songs or not!, what difference does paying extra money make?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We haven't decided yet but are quite likely to have some of the more upbeat hymns.

With regards to filming licences, some churches pay these, some expect you to pay.

As for copyright, this exists for any creative works for 70 years after the death of the writer. During this time it is illegal to reproduce the works in any form (lyrics, sheet music etc.) in any form with the permission of the copyright holder. Therefore should you wish to reproduce the words of a hymn in your OOS, you will need permission, which is what the charge is for.

For example if you bought a book of sheet music you will have paid for the copyright. If you photocopy sheet music out of a book, then you are reproducing without permission and need to pay for it. This is the same for the lyrics. Some churches will have paid for this, some will charge you. Some will also charge you for the purchase of the sheet music if they don't already have it.

As for playing songs recorded by someone else, these require a Public Licence (PPL or PRS). This can be held by the venue/church. I think that to have musicians play a song written by someone else you will need to have purchased the sheet music....

Edited to add:

Just found this http://www.djassociates.org/pro%20dub%20licence/pro%20dub%20licence.html

Q) Is there a licence for the public use of sound recordings at domestic events, eg. Birthdays, Weddings?

A) PPL state For Domestic events (eg. birthdays, weddings), no PPL licence is required.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooh, very interesting Mrs C - I had no idea before reading this thread about paying for copyright of hymns.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics