Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner March 2013

Those who bite their nails...

Chedi, 20 January, 2013 at 14:32 Posted on Planning 0 16

...did you bother getting anything done with them?

I've tried and tried and tried some more to grow mine - but I cant help but nibble, and then bam! The lovely long nail is gone! ...of which I will blame the recent Bat Man films as OH made me watch them, and literally 5 nails went in that last film! I've got now under 7 weeks left til the wedding, I dont have a single nail unbitten, and theyre so weak... I'm not embarrassed about them, but they just dont look nice, so its more a shame I havent been able to grow them.

I keep thinking about them gel nail things you can get, but they seem pretty expensive, I think they'll annoy me, and then you have to pay to remove them! ..I haven't budgetted for them either ?

Did you do anything with them? If not, in photo's did you just avoid any shots of your hands?

16 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 21 January, 2013 at 15:14
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, your hands appear in a lot more than close-up shots. If I look, I can pick out my nails in most shots of me, holding glasses of wine/bouquet/etc, putting rings on, and so on.

And you feel so much more elegant with long nails.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm.. I think I might have too. I've spent a little while looking at random flashes of married people (does that sound a bit weird ?) and you are right, the hands do appear quite often. Even things like holding bouquets - even though the bouquet is the focus, you can still see nails..

How soon before the wedding did you have them put on?

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chedi,

Have you thought about buying some stick on nails from Boots/Superdrug to try out for the next few weeks? They are relatively cheap, and quite easy to put on. If you buy the short kind, they won't feel too weird to begin with and you will get used to them very quickly. They are also easy enough to remove, and won't damage the nails underneath if you do it properly. If you find that these work, then you can eith use them up until your wedding day, or just try them out evey now and then (to get used to them), and then stick a pair on on the day of your wedding.

Hopefully that will be a more budget-friendly way to do things - and you won't be getting stressed out and worried about biting your nails!

Good luck x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Afternoon before.

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

My nails are v weak so I use the Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Clear nail polish to build then up and I will also use that nail bite solution if I have got back in to the habit of biting them again. If you use something like that, you should have long(ish) nails for the wedding. If not, go for the Nailene nails from Boots/Superdrug. I find they are better for staying stuck on tho make sure you have the glue on standby on the day!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I used to use broadway brand false, glue on nails 'natural deceptions' from boots & superdrug. They include the glue & plenty of spare nails incase any come off for about £7.50. Mine used to last at least a week before any came off. Even then, I'd just glue another on & get a few weeks worth out of them.

They come in square shaped, round, petite & also a short 'sport' version if you dont want really long tallons. When you dont want them anymore, they are easy to get off.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely have falsies done even as a one off, you can get a really natural looking job, but basically your hands will appear in photos in all sorts of unsuspecting ways, and it's better to have paid £20 than feel it detracts from an otherwise lovely photo. I share your sympathies as a lifetime biter!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I have used the shop bought falsies to stop biting my nails and although my nails do grow, I bite all the skin around them and that looks worse. So I have decided to have some fakes put on properly the day before so I can't destroy my fingers by the wedding day. My therapist says that nail biting is a form of self-harm and that mine stems from anxiety (not anxiety about my nails, just in general). We came up with a plan to help me stop but I haven't followed it. I have given up the dream of lovely nails that are all my own.

• Sara.Head
    Beginner June 2014
    Sara.Head ·
    • Hide content

I'm soooo getting my nails done as I am a bad nibbler of my nails, I am trying to grow them now but I know soon as I get stressed that's it they are gone.

You can remove them at home you just need to buy something from superdrug off the top of my head i forget what it is but its cheaper then having them taken off.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I think I'll have to try them shop bought ones. I hadnt even considered them ? This may need to be something for my MOH to do - I'm really squeemish with nails (probably why I bite them so I dont have to deal with them..)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

There's a lady local to me who does them for £20. To my mind it's worth that to finish your look, especially if you feel self-conscious. I've a friend who's been doing her own nails for years and sometimes she does mine and the kit is a tenner, maybe a friend could do that for you?

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

Mine were worth every penny. Lasted several weeks, I had them done the morning before the wedding and then spent the rest of the day rushing around and cleaning the house etc and because they were 'Set' from the moment I left the salon they were perfect.

I got a pot of soak off from the super market and although it took a while (a whole episode of Lewis) it was cheaper than going back to the salon.

• R
    Beginner April 2013
    roo2605 ·
    • Hide content

I really need to start thinking about this.

I'm a chewer of both nail and skin Smiley sad I used to be able to use stop n grow (the nasty tasting stuff) but it's all of the sudden decided to give me coldsores. So now I'm stuck with pure will power. might have to get gel nails or something for a month before the day to get my nails to grow then get it re-done for the day

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I'm terrible with my nails, but I like them nice when I have a wedding or party etc to go to. Three things work for me depending on how skint I am at the time. 1. I go have gel nails done £40. 2. I have gel-ish nails done £17. 3. I but falsies £3 2 weeks before. And as soon as they come off paint them with sally Hansen nail strenghthener and then on the day whatever colour I'm doing them. Would definitely recommend the strengthener. I naturally leave my alone a bit more when they're strong.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I had these done on Wednesday, they are acrylics and cost £25.00

They last a couple of weeks, sometimes I get them in filled which is £15.00 or I soak them off myself.

My nails are so weak and snap very easily, I find the acrylics really hard wearing. You can have any colours or white tip / French etc.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'm not really a nail biter but I do have quite brittle nails but I've been using Sally Hansen product - hard as nails - lately and it has made a difference.

Another tip I've learnt is not to let them get too long as not being used to having nails of any sort of length I seem to get them to a certain length and then catch them on things.

My hope is that they will be of a nice length to get a french manicure for my wedding ... * fingers crossed *

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have tried every nail hardener known to man (well, maybe not quite) and the best I've found is OPI Nail Envy. It was about £20 for the bottle but well worth it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics