Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner June 2014

Thoughts on a Friday Wedding

hannahgosney, 21 of May of 2013 at 16:52 Posted on Planning 0 25

I'm recently engaged and after being with my fiancée for 10 years already we want to get married next year. I'm visiting my first few venues on the weekend, but looking at their booking calendars online it looks like all the Saturdays in June are fully booked already. I'm more than happy to have a weekday wedding, but I think I'll have to have it on a Friday to try to accommodate the guests better. My mum has already voiced her opinion that it should be a Saturday wedding because 'I can't expect people to take the day off work' but surely if I give them enough warning in advance everyone would be happy to do it.

What's everyone's thoughts on weekday weddings, is it wrong to expect people to take a day off work?

25 replies

Latest activity by Childhood-Sweet<3, 22 of May of 2013 at 15:28
  • J
    Beginner July 2023 Buckinghamshire
    Judesmummy ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on Friday 21st June this year, if you send out 'Save the Date' cards as soon as you book your venue then people have plenty of notice for booking time off etc its perfectly acceptable to get married on a day of your choosing & it frees up some of your budget too Smiley smile

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Is there any reason you're only looking at June? Places book up early but there might still be saturday availability later in the summer. If you do decide to go for a weekday wedding Friday would be better than other days because at least people won't be worried about going to work the day after but I do think unless you're having quite a small do that a Saturday would be preferable (although not forgetting that not everyone does actually work Monday to Friday). I think if you opt for the weekday you may find some people decline your invitation due to restrictions on annual leave allowance etc. I suppose it depends on your expectations for the day. On the other hand a lot of places do offer better value on weekday bookings.

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, that's what I thought, it'd hopefully be a big help budget wise, but my mum seemed to be outraged!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I'd say they were nearly as popular as Saturday weddings now

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds nice, a good excuse for a day off! The only thing is I would probably be reluctant to take my son out of school for the day so you might have to think about how many people with kids you are inviting.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

It depends on your guests really. Friday weddings are becoming really popular & loads of people don't work the standard Mon-Fri 9-5, so weekdays wont necessarily be an issue for everyone. They can be tricky for teachers if it's in term time however, so bear that in mind if friends/family are in that profession.

Weekends are a nightmare for us when it comes to family weddings/plans in general as we are always working and it's not the kind of thing you can just get a day off for! I'd welcome a weekday wedding ?

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

I'm looking for June because it is close to our actually anniversary which is the 9th June, and I think it would be great to have them close by so we can still celebrate the years after we're married too. If a venue has availability on that Saturday then dependent on price I think that would be fine for us, but I guess it depends on the venue as to what date we book it for - if it's the perfect venue then I might consider different months to get married in.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

We're having a Friday wedding, and have one teacher who can't come. Other than that, everyone is more than happy to take the day off

It saved us £5k on our venue and I actually prefer them to Saturday weddings as it means you still get your weekend (and also, as I have a season ticket at football, Saturdays weddings mean I have to miss games sometimes - I don't enjoy this!).

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

I will have 1 toddler coming and two school teachers, so I don't think that's a bad ratio so far.

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

We've had to swap to a Friday wedding because we're having our wedding breakfast at a restaurant. All the ceremony venues wanted us to book for a full package on a Saturday so we either had to get married in a registry office or switch days. It's a selfish decision but I'm okay with that - those who matter won't mind ?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

It's not unreasonable to ask people to take a day off, but if you have teachers on your guest list you should be aware that they will not be able to attend in term time. If you want them there and a midweek or Friday wedding then maybe consider w/b 26th May, as it is half term (in England at least).

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Ours was a Friday and despite having three teachers there and a few children of school age everyone came. I think the key is making sure people know well in advance

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I've shot a Thursday wedding! Now in the recession it's becoming more common, like how there isn't really a wedding season anymore, there's just as many winter weddings as summer (ish). Only thing to note is weekday weddings tend to be difficult for teachers, so if you have any teachery friends that might present an issue.

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Mrs2014 ·
    • Hide content

I think Fridays are as popular as Saturdays now..it's now more of a three day event which I think people are drawn too..and I have noticed a lot of suppliers charge the same for Fridays as Saturdays... I couldn't do mine as my fil is a teacher x

• H
    Beginner
    HannyNanny ·
    • Hide content

Any day goes with weddings now, I'm getting married on a Sunday.

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married on a Friday. We needed minimum numbers at our venue for a Saturday which we didn't have, so went for the Friday. At first I was really disappointed as I always imagine weddings on a Saturday. I've got used to the idea now though. Just going to make sure we send our save the days about a year before and put Friday on there rather than just the date.

I did go to a wedding last year on a Thursday last year and it was fine.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I REALLY wanted a Friday wedding but we're inviting 23 kids, most of which are school-age, so it wouldn't have been right to pick a Friday.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I think it's also important to bear in mind that many people these days simply don't work Mon to Fri, 9 -5. I work shifts, and getting a weekend off is much harder than a Friday. I'm also just as likely to be working a weekday as a Saturday. Same applies to anyone working in the NHS, as carers, in the hospitality industry, emergency services, retail and many many other lines of work. I'd choose a day that suits you, then just give people plenty of notice, and accept that a few may not be able to come.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I work in retail so trying to get a Saturday off is a nightmare, I've even struggled to book a weekend off for my hen with 50 Saturdays to choose from between now and the wedding! A weekday wedding would be welcomed by me. Only reason we aren't going for one ourselves is that our anniversary of when we got together falls on a Saturday next year and that's the day we'll get married.

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    miago ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was me last year? We had been together 10 years by the time we got engaged, so didn't want to wait too long, and the venue we wanted was already fully booked on Saturdays in late spring/early summer. We decided on a Friday, and it's worked out really well! Everyone is looking forward to a three day weekend, and we've booked a local pub for the Saturday to carry on celebrating!! Only two guests are unable to get the time off work (one teacher), but they will be coming in the evening. Both my sister and her boyfriend are teachers (at the same school), and they've had no problem getting the day off work. I think most teachers can take the odd day off, for close family weddings etc. Everyone else has been fine with taking a day off work if needed, and like others have said, not everyone works 9-5 Mon-Fri. The venue was 10% cheaper, the photographer was cheaper I think, and we've able to get our first choice bands/florists/mua etc, although that could just be luck.

Personally I'd rather book a Friday than a Sunday. I've been to two weddings on Sundays recently, and there were a few people who were not able/willing to get the Monday off work, as the wedding wasn't actually on the Monday. It meant there was a noticable drop in numbers in the evening, as people had to leave early to get home.

Three weeks until my Friday wedding, can't wait!!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    msmt ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on a thursday. Have given everyone a years notice and it's only family we are inviting really, so everyone is happy to have the time off work. In fact people can book 2 days off work and have a 5 day break as there is the bank holiday monday afterwards.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a Friday. If that's what you want, go for it.

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I am not a fan of week day weddings because I work mon-fri 9-5 and get very little annual leave, so for me week day weddings I have to attend, especially if there are several in a year, can mean OH and myself don't get a holiday that year. However, I think it depends on your guests. If you have lots of people who work weekends regularly on your guest list it makes sense to have a week day wedding.

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

I work shifts so welcome weekday weddings! Weddings are normally expensive annual leave wise, once you add the hen do! For me anyway!!

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

My sister had got married on the Scilly Isles, so even though it was a saturday we had to travel there on the Friday and there is no transport off the islands on a Sunday, so couldn't get back until Monday. My mum and dad are both teachers and i worked in a school at the time. As we had a years notice, we were able to ask for the time off. The govenors had to make the final decision and it was un paid, but we all got the time off, so it really is not the end of the world! I would love to go to a Friday wedding as you get the weekend to recover Smiley smile Also, lots of people work throughout the weekends anyway!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics