Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pinkpeterpan
Beginner August 2016

Thursday Vs Sunday?

Pinkpeterpan, 13 of September of 2015 at 14:26 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi,

This is my first forum post as I've just started wedding planning and already hit a dilemma! We ideally wanted to get married on Thursday 11th August, however our preferred venue is already booked. They do have a Sunday available which we are now considering. However, a Thursday wedding was going to enable us to save on supplier costs. The venue hire is the same price as a Thursday, but I've noticed the registrar fee is £130 more expensive for a Sunday wedding and I'm now worried that photographers and videographers may not be as cheap as on a Thursday. Does anyone have any experience or advice on Thursday vs Sunday?

11 replies

Latest activity by Danteborderterrier, 15 of September of 2015 at 10:23
  • B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

As someone who got married on a Thursday through necessity, not choice, I would say that Sunday will probably be more convenient for your guests. Because most of our guests had to travel to our wedding, they had to take two days off work to attend - a pretty big commitment on their part and one I felt guilty asking them for. There were a lot of couples where the one who was closest to us came, but their partner stayed away and I couldn't blame them for that. Even if they do have to take the following day off, it will only be one day, not two.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm a wedding photographer and I'd go for the Thursday. In august many of us will be busy and you will find it hard to negotiate discounts with experienced/ established suppliers. However, you are more likely to save money on the Thursday as Sundays are a busy day.

The registrar costs are higher because they are paid overtime on Sundays, I think.

You may find venue decor/chair cover hire etc are slightly less on a Thursday.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If you need a Thursday to fit the venue of your choice into your budget can you try a different Thursday? On the plus side Sunday May be easier for guests but I wouldn't expect massive problems with the amount of notice you can give. X

• SarahGTree
    Beginner
    SarahGTree ·
    • Hide content

I had mine on a thurs! go with it xx

• Pinkpeterpan
    Beginner August 2016
    Pinkpeterpan ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your thoughts, there's definitely pros for the guests with the Sunday and cons for the supplier discounts for us. We're going to speak to our preferred suppliers and see what they can offer, hopefully that'll help us make a final decision.

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a Sunday and the only thing that was a bit more expensive was the registrar. The only other issue is that the cake shop isn't open on a Sunday and so they charged us lots for delivery. As a result, my fiancé is just going to pick up the cake on the Saturday instead! But the venue has said we can drop it off as early as Friday morning, so we're still trying to work that one out (as it's a sponge cake). I haven't noticed many other people charging different prices, they tend to go by seasons and as we're in July, everything is just more expensive Smiley sad

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Thursday, seeing as that's what we went for!

I do feel guilty about asking people to take time off for us - we've gone for a 3pm ceremony so hopefully some of our friends can still put a half day of work in and then just leave early!

I would much rather take two days off and then have the weekend, than take one day off on the Monday and be hungover... if that makes sense?!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Peter

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday and the only thing that's been more expensive is the registrar. The only other issue we've had is that a lot of the florists we looked at don't deliver on Sundays. We chose the day before a bank holiday Monday and as far as I'm aware no one has had to take time off work.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

We've gone for Thursday 4 August next year and so far had discounts on the venue and band and some photographers and videographers that we've researched will do a discount but it's usually about 10% it's not huge. A Saturday wasn't an option at our venue for the time we wanted but I sometimes think we could have gone with a Friday and not spent loads more (no discounts on a Friday usually) but we've made the choice now!

Between Sunday and Thursday I'd go with Thursday as long as it's in the school holidays for any teachers. I think with a Thursday wedding a lot of guests will take the Friday off rather than go back to work for one day and will just make a long weekend of it. With a Sunday they are more likely to go back to work on the Monday which means they might not stay late. Saying that my friend got married on a Sunday and she still had people there til the end (although some did leave as early as 9.30!) and I haven't been to a Thursday wedding yet so my theory could be totally wrong!

A weekend isn't always the most suitable for people either as many work shift work etc. With our wedding there are a lot of retired/ teachers/ shift workers so probably only a handful will have to take holidays, I do feel bad that they have to use their annual leave but at the end of the day much as I want them there if it's too difficult they can decline and I will understand. So far the response has been positive, at 11 months out the venue accommodation is already fully booked by guests after we sent the save the dates!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Sunday (venue was £500 cheaper), the only thing that was more expensive was the registrar. We didn't have a problem with any other suppliers and none were more expensive on a Sunday.

• Danteborderterrier
    Beginner March 2016
    Danteborderterrier ·
    • Hide content

Well we are getting married on a Wednesday (The weekend was fully booked and Wednesday was the only other day that our reception venue was available) but I haven’t noticed much in price difference. The reception venue was still the same price as was the registry office. I think that as weekday weddings are becoming more popular (due to weekends being so heavily booked these days) suppliers are keeping up the prices. The only major difference I noticed is the registrar fees. To hire a registrar for an approved premises ranges from £420 for Monday-Thursday to £450 for Friday and Saturday, £500 on a Sunday and £600 on a bank holiday Monday! And that is on top of what you would have to pay for the venue etc...Guest wise we haven’t had a problem so far. Most of our guests are making a long weekend of it but I won’t be at all offended by those who have to leave early due to work commitments, I am just grateful to those who have made the effort to book the day off to join us ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics