Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

snow bride
Beginner June 2016

Thursday weddings anymore awkward than a Friday?

snow bride, 28 of April of 2014 at 15:23 Posted on Planning 0 62

So we're looking at our date, we we're going to get married on a Friday in half term due to lots of teachers in the bridal party.

Our venue doesn't have a lisence so the plan from day one was to have a 15 minute legal ceremony in the morning at the registry office for £45 then have our 'wedding' in the afternoon at our venue. The morning bit would have no dress, suits, rings, flowers, photos etc.

However the local council have now changed it so that they only offer the basic ceremony Mon - Thur and only do the full one on a Fri. It's not only about £150 but we'd have to do the 30 - 45 minute ceremony which we don't really want.

Weve chosen to do both on the same day so that our wedding certificate has the 'right' date on :-)

The idea of doing it the day before has come up, but are Thursday weddings anymore awkward than Friday ones? We've put it to our bridal party and they've said it wouldn't matter as they are either teachers or don't work Mon - Fri anyway.

So asking you lot now, would a Thurs be anymore 'complicated' than a Fri? My fear is people will leave at like 9pm because they have an early start etc the next day.

Any OM had a midweek wedding? How did guests take it?

62 replies

Latest activity by Bubbahumpska, 1 of May of 2014 at 13:38
  • ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

That is absolutely preposterous - the registrar can't *make* you have a 30-45 minute ceremony. The legal declarations take all of 5 minutes, and they can't force you to do more than that.

Anyway, that's just me getting on my high horse, and is irrelevant. The issue is that they are charging you £150 rather than £45, which they can get away with.

Personally, in your situation, I'd consider doing the Thursday ceremony, and keeping the Friday wedding, if the £105 difference is important in the budget. It makes sod all odds that there is a day difference in it. The anniversary is celebrated by you each year, and tbh, no one other than the parents care about anyone's anniversaries until they've been married for 50 years, so it'll not come up again until you're a pensioner.

Yes, if I was invited to your wedding and was a 'general' type guest, I might leave at 10pm on a Thursday if I had to go to work the next day. Plus I wouldn't drink quite so much, although I'd still totally throw myself into the party spirit ? If I was a bestie of yours, I'd take Friday off work, and party the night away with you. I recently went to a Sunday wedding, and saw a lot of people sneak off around 10pm.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

If it was for me, I'd just do the legal bit the day before. I can see why you want the dates to match though.

Thursday weddings are becoming more popular as brides look for ways to cut the costs. You might even find better deals if you move to the Thursday. Your day will be fab whatever day it's on!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately we had the same trouble ☹️

Our venue was un- licenced for marriages at the time we booked so we were going to do the legal bit 2 days before (the anniversary of the date we met) However when it came to booking they told us they will only allow us to have a basic ceremony on a Tuesday at either 9:15 am or 9:45am! We found the same when we enquired at another registry office, except there it was Thursdays at 10:20am only.

It sucks, but rules are rules I guess Smiley sad

Is it an absolute must for you to have the legalities and wedding on the same day?

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I guess it's not a must but what date do you celebrate your anniversary? Wedding day or legal day?

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    LRsoontobeLH ·
    • Hide content

As a non-teacher, Yes Thursdays are more awkward. We went to a wedding last year which was a Thursday wedding and in NI so it involved 3 days off work (we travelled there on the Wednesday and came back on the Friday). We treated it like a bit of a mini-break and luckily our jobs are very flexible on holidays and when we can take them but 3 days of my precious annual leave is quite a big ask in my opinion which is why we opted for a Saturday wedding, we had discussed beforehand a Friday wedding if Saturday availability was an issue but luckily for us at our chosen venue (the wedding coordinator couldn't believe it when she checked availability for us!) the Saturday of the August bank holiday was the only Friday or Saturday free in the whole month and we put our names down for it straight away!

I think doing the legal bit the day before and having the wedding on the Friday would work fine. No one but you will really know anyway.

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Thursday, it doesn't seem to be causing any issues for our guests, we are of the opinion that if people want to come, they will come regardless

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Thursday, it doesn't seem to be causing any issues for our guests, we are of the opinion that if people want to come, they will come regardless

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Friday and apart from my sister being a complete pain in the backside about it, everyone is fine, and I can't see that if it was the Thursday rather than the Friday it would be a lot different. People can take the Friday off and make a long weekend of it if they want :-)

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I personally would find it slightly more awkward than a Friday but only because I'd want the next day off to recover so would need to book 2 days rather than just the one day if it was a Friday.

Saying that, I would 100% do it for any of my friends and family because I'd want to be there to share their day.

I do find it odd that they only do certain ceremonies on certain days. Very strange, but I know these things vary from county to county.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Thursdays are no more awkward and in all the Thursday weddings I have shot, I haven't seen people leave earlier than any other day.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This^^^^^^^^^^ Thursday weddings seems to be catching up with Friday weddings for 2015? well it seems that way for my 2015 weddings they are neck & neck with 2-2?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We'll be celebrating our anniversary on the day of the "wedding". The paperwork signing legal bit is, to us, in this case just a bit of a formality that we have to do for it to be legal. We're having a ceremony of our own at the wedding a couple of days later. All vows etc will be saved for then.

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a Thursday wedding. We have booked it in the Easter holidays so that my nieces, nephews and sil can be there but not one person has batted an eyelid when we said what day it's on. I'm of the same option as another poster, if people want to come they will. Just be aware that some people may not be able to make mid week.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, the age old quote that really gets my goat! Some people do not have the option of attending a wedding (on any day of the week) due to their job/finances/family etc it does not mean that they don't 'want to come'

OP for me as a regular 9-5er yes a Thursday would be more awkward as I'd have to book 2 days off work. But only you know your guests and whether or not it would be a problem for them. I think just give people enough notice and you shouldn't have a problem.

Another thing to bear in mind is how far your guests need to travel, if they are all local then they wouldn't need to consider having the day before off too but if any of them need to travel a distance they may need to consider staying the night before too.

• Fleur88
    Beginner March 2016
    Fleur88 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on the Thursday before Easter so that when OH's family travel over from France he won't have to take so many holidays from work to spend time with his family, as we will have the long bank holiday off together. I am a teacher and most of our friends are teachers too, the few who aren't have all been ok with the date as it's Good Friday the day after anyway. P x

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Have you asked the register office if you can pay the full ceremony fee but only have a short ceremony? Surely it's just the fee they are bothered about. I can't see why they would insist on you having a full-on ceremony.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

There's the extra cost too, our budget is very tight so the extra £100 would be a big deal to us.

With regards to those travelling, they are either teachers, a bridesmaid who said she'd be down for the week anyway or distant family I don't actually want there but inviting them would keep the family quiet... Lol

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I've been to two Thursday weddings I think and didn't make much difference, other than I took 2 days off work instead of 1. The only thing that put me off (could have got out venue for £1000 less ?) was people not coming in the evening due to just finishing work, going to work the next day etc, but if all your friends are happy then I don't see a problem at all.

• daffodilly
    Beginner August 2015
    daffodilly ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to be getting married on a Thursday too.

I'm a teacher and lots of my friends are involved in education in some way.... sorry the summer holidays are the best for us. We will also be inviting lots of children so don't need to worry about getting them ready for bed. If our guests aren't in education then they are mostly shift workers so even if we had it on a Saturday they might still have to book time off.

I'm also of the opinion that if your guests want to be there they will.

Hth

Xxx

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

it doesn't get my goat per se but i understand why some people, yourself included, get annoyed with the 'if they want they will' way of thinking.

one friend was denied his brothers wedding off by his boss and he was supposed to be best man!!! work just couldn't spare him at that time of year and he couldn't have the day. he arrived at 9pm Smiley sad

another friend had already been told that any holiday in december would be denied so he threw a sickie.....his boss found out and he was threatened with dismissal, given an official warning and lost his £1500 christmas bonus!!

to the OP, in all genuine honesty it would make me leave a tiny bit earlier than i normally would BUT i have two children to look after and get up for the next day so i'm guessing i'm not your target audience anyways.

you and your h2b know YOUR wedding and you know what will be best for you. whatever happens, whoever comes, the main people will be there (you and h2b!!), you will finish the day married and you will have an amazing day because it will be YOUR wedding!!

have a beautiful day hun! Smiley smile x

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    Bets2015 ·
    • Hide content

We're also getting married on a Thursday as we refused to get any more ripped off with venue hire than you already do. We are in love with our converted barn but it cost more than double for a Saturday than a Thursday. We looked into Friday but they are getting more like Saturday prices all of the time. I am a teacher as are lots of my friends and family and like others have said are having lots of children around so being the six weeks holiday will cause no problem for them. But if they are true friends they will come no matter what. If one of my friends chose not to come because they didn't want to book 2 days off work for my wedding then personally I wouldn't want them there anyway! Smiley winking x

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Aah it's wonderful being ignored...

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't holey- even quoted you and everything! Smiley smile

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I was just going to say. I understand holeys point totally, but I didn't get the being ignored comment because of yo quoting her?!

sorry just had to comment there as I had frown lines lol xx

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I was just going to say. I understand holeys point totally, but I didn't get the being ignored comment because of yo quoting her?!

sorry just had to comment there as I had frown lines lol xx

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I think you have to understand that some people cannot attend a wedding no matter what day it is. I suppose depending what sorts if jobs your guests have would be a huge decider- if your friends work in service type jobs then most likely whatever day you pick will cause issues as people work 7 days a week in theses sorts if roles.

if your friends are professional types who work Monday to Friday then perhaps a Saturday is better.

Either way- you won't please everyone. However Some people can't get time off- I would struggle based on my role to just bugger off to a friends wedding if it was a weekday, I can't always delegate the work I have to do. I would be bloody riled if someone was saying I 'couldn't be bothered' to go. How very rude and narrow minded.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Sorry miss winter I didn't mean you. It was more for the two posters that completely ignored what I'd said and quoted about friends not being friends or something

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I guessed chicken Smiley winking

i understand things from both sides of the coin- it's a wedding- of course you want your loved ones all around and when you're wrapped up in wedding planning, spending insane amounts of money, it does feel like people 'aren't making the effort' or that they 'can't be bothered', i mean some studies suggest that wedding planning can cause types of mania! and we do feel and say things we wouldn't normally.

but on the flip side, i've been in the position, and i know of others (those cited in previous comment and others), who no matter what they WANT, simply cannot manage to come. not from a lack of trying or less care/concern, just because life sucks like that sometimes.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish!

I've invited my best friend to my wedding. I live in Kent, she lives in the Wirral and I'm getting married on a Monday. I knew before I sent the invitation that she wouldn't be able to come but I sent it so she could have a memento of my day. She has made and sent me a beautiful guestbook as her contribution and she will be enjoying the day vicariously through photographs.

She has two children who would have to take at least two days off school to attend - she's not a relative so this wouldn't be seen as exceptional circumstances. Also, she works in a hospital and getting days off for her is something that has to be organised with great difficulty, so is something she can only do in very exceptional circumstances.

Does any of this make her less of a true friend? Of course not!! She loves me and I love her and although I can't have her there in person, I know she will be thinking of me and my OH and wishing she could be.

OP, have your wedding whenever you wish, but if people can't make it, please be understanding and don't cut them off because of this kind of thinking.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

I would struggle slightly more with a Thursday wedding as I would have to take two days' holiday instead of one and it's not always a given that I will be able to get the time off. If I have plenty of notice though it's usually fine. We're getting married on a Sunday meaning people will have to take the Monday off if they want some time to recover, but none to actually come to the wedding. We didn't do save the dates as we set the date at the end of Jan but we did get our invites out by March to try and give people as much notice as possible.

As previous posters have said, you know your guests and whilst some people may struggle, no date is going to work completely for everyone anyway.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

This! I'm all for people having weddings any day they like but don't think any worse of people if they can't make it Smiley smile

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed, it's important not to fall into the trap of the belief that friends *should* allocate two or three days of their lives to your wedding, *should* use up two or three days of their precious annual leave from work, and *should* allocate a certain amount of their hard earned salary towards making the trip to your wedding.

It just doesn't work like that. The only people that *should* be doing that are members of the wedding party. Everyone else should be thanked for taking the trouble to do so.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics