Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2012

Tiara questions... with *flash*

kingfisher1923, 11 July, 2012 at 19:41 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi there

Counting on my fellow Hitchers to help me out with your wisdom again!

I bought a reduced price tiara from a bridal shop last week - reduced because a couple of the tiny stones were missing. I don't think it would be very noticeable when I had it on, tbh, but I'd quite like to replace them if I could. Can anyone advise me on what I need to buy and where, and how I'd go about sticking them in place? Hopefully you can see where one of them is missing - along the wavy bottom edge, about 40% of the way from the left hand side...

Also, there are round metal holes at each end of the tiara. My friend (more knowledgeable than me) tells me that little elastic 'bands' go in these, and then that's how they secure the tiara in place with grips etc. Should there have been bands there when I bought it, or will the hairdresser supply them, or should I try and find some to put in there?

Thanks so much! ?

8 replies

Latest activity by kingfisher1923, 29 July, 2012 at 20:17
  • 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

You need a special glue as ordinary glue clouds the stone something like this http://www.e-beads.co.uk/the-benefits-of-resurge-review-and-complaints/ The stones will be foil backed with a point at the back but you need the right size. you may be better takeing one out of each end where you won;t see it and moving them. Also you friend is wrong about the holes they are for hair grips, so they don't have anything in when you buy them

hope that helps

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

You can see it but to be honest, your hair is going to cover that part and it won't even notice.

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

I didnt even notice the missing stone. If this happens to my jewellery I usually just put a tiny blob of white nail varnosh where the missing stone went Smiley tongue

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Ah that's really helpful - thanks so much for the expert advice - I appreciate it! Would never have known that ordinary glue was no good for something like this ? That's a good idea about moving some stones too - I'll have a think about that.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

You can buy little pots of stones in hobbycraft if you need to replace a couple. it is fiddly but worth it, or move them along. It probably only notices to you and not to other people, so try not to worry.

Lynne

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I agree, you can't see it! And when it's on it won't notice at all. I have a couple missing in my tiara (bought cheap on an ebay shop so I don't care!), luckily they were loose in the box. I'm going to dab some clear nail varnish in the gap on the day before and put them in with that, it only has to hold for one day so that will be absolutely fine!

I am a hairdresser and you can use anything through the loops on the end to secure them. You can either use grips directly through the loops, or wrap ribbon around the loop and the end of the arms to allow the grips to loop through the ribbon aswell, so you can have more to hold it in place.

Gorgeous tiara by the way! xx

• LilyGrace
    LilyGrace ·
    • Hide content

I have a few of those tiny stones, not sure whether they will fit but happy to send you a few to try.

I don't come on here that often but email me me through the website if you want me to send them

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Ah thank you sooo much everyone for the comments and advice - and that's really kind LilyGrace, I will send an email.

It was reduced to £35 in the bridal shop so it seemed too good an opportunity to miss, as I liked it so much ?

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to say thank you soo much to LilyGrace for sending me some stones at no charge - that was really kind of you and I appreciate it very much. They have now arrived and I think will do the job for the larger stone which is missing, and as people have said hopefully the tiny ones won't notice. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics