Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Climoo22
Beginner March 2015

Time between Ceremony and Wedding Breakfast

Climoo22, 25 of November of 2014 at 18:50 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi All,

Our reception is on in the same place we get married. We marry at 3pm and sit down for food at 5pm, I've got a band from 8pm, photo booth from 7pm, sweet cart all day.

Ive realised today, that after the ceremony our guests only have a glass of prosecco to keep them entertained whilst we do photos (prob an hour im guessing even though we are not planning too many staged ones)

First I thought canapés but the selection is actually awful even though all the main food and eve food is great. And with eating so soon it's prob too much food.

Then I thought harp, but after 3 songs I'd probably be giving up the will to live, then I thought maybe a pianist.

I didn't really leave any money in the budget for entertainment for guests at the reception after the ceremony. Not sure if I should do anything or if time will just fly and I should just let people mingle & chat?

What have you got planned?

13 replies

Latest activity by millbankandkent, 1 of December of 2014 at 23:45
  • S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We only have about an hour between the two but have asked a friend to play his guitar just while people mingle. Do you have any musical friends? Ours is doing this and our first dance as a wedding present maybe if you have any friends like this then you can go down the same route - it doesn't cost you anything but stops guests being bored.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMatson ·
    • Hide content

I am having some giant games outside like jenga, hoopla etc. I have also bought some mini games and quizzes for the tables. I am also thinking of a children's entertainer but I have a long time between eating and the evening do so it will probably be worth it. People can choose to play games/ quiz each other or just chat and mingle

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As a second time bride I can assure you that people will mingle and the time will fly.

We have a similar time gap (ceremony at 2pm, hog roast begins at 4pm) and we haven't planned in anything.

• MrsScott2be2018
    Beginner September 2018
    MrsScott2be2018 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a magician brilliant guy.

• EdenNI
    Beginner December 2014
    EdenNI ·
    • Hide content

I think people enjoy that time just to mingle, chat and have a drink. I wouldn't worry about planning anything!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having garden games for between our meal and evening do. Getting married at 12 sit down meal at 2.30ish evening do at 7/7.30 I'm guessing meal will be over by 4.30/5 so guests will have at least 2 hours to kill. Some will be staying over so may go to their rooms for a freshen up/rest. I'm not too fussed about what happens between the ceremony and the sit down meal as everyone will be chatting/mingling and hopefully congratulating us!

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to have about an hour and a half between ceremony and wedding breakfast. Couple of drinks, maybe a couple of canapes and that's all we're doing. I have it on good authority that most people will be more interested in trying to get photos of the bride and groom!

We are planning to have music playing through the venue's sound system though. Vitamin String Quartet covers. Will not offend my nan and will keep younger guests entertained trying to figure out if that tune really IS Paramore/The Killers/Greenday etc!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

We're all at one venue too. Our ceremony is at 2, and our wedding breakfast at 4. I'm fully expecting the time to just pass with people at the bar, out in the gardens if it is a nice day (we've got croquet etc) or just coming up to us and telling me how amazingly stunning I look, before the usual air kisses or attempts to get out of Great Auntie Ann's squeezy hugs haha!!

I certainly wouldn't worry about trying to fill the time, especially if there is no budget left - with photos and catching up with people, the time will whizz by. People may well want to nip to their rooms to freshen up, so don't forget to ensure that they know what time they need to be back in the wedding room, so that if they have a bit of a nap, they don't miss your Grand entrance as Mr & Mrs!!!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest the above - although our ceremony is just down the road from our reception venue, we've got about this gap, slightly longer, between leaving church and sitting down for the wedding breakfast. We're giving them a drink, and will be yanking them all out for photos in groups/ individually, so that will keep them busy, but definitely going to ask the hotel to pipe music in as well.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Its a short time and people and families get to meet up......I honestly wouldn't worry too much...

Peter

• Dave Sanders
    Dave Sanders ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

Message me for details of my budget. I've got a number of flexible options that are ideal for this situation. For instance, a guitar/ duo will easily keep your guests entertained in a sophisticated manner.

Get in touch on ****************@*****.***

Or to hear examples of my work look at www.davesandersmusic.com

Thanks,

Dave Sanders

• It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

I also think the time will fly by so don't worry, although you could always suggest your own canapés to the venue? We had strawberries dipped in chocolate for ours, because that's what we had on our first date. Went down really well!

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Agreed. An hour is nothing. People will appreciate some time to catch up with friends and family so I really wouldn't sweat it.

• millbankandkent
    millbankandkent ·
    • Hide content

Stick with the time you have allocated. Your guests are there for a day out and can relax, enjoy the surroundings and have a drink and get to know each other. For a three o'clock wedding most guests would have had some lunch in advance so canopies not necessarily required. I am sure if you do want them the venue can adapt the menu to produce something you actually want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics