Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

Time limit paying cheques in?

Nutella, 31 March, 2012 at 16:53 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Anyone know if cheques expire after a certain amount of time? Just been sorting through some old paperwork and found a letter from my solicitors when I bought my flat refunding part of my fee by cheque but I've never paid it in. Cheque is dated 30/3/11 so we're literally just over the year mark.

Have tried google but can't find a definitive answer on any of my bank's websites or even generally.

5 replies

Latest activity by Ice Queen, 31 March, 2012 at 23:16
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

6 months normally - but it might be worth contacting the solicitors and asking if they can reissue the cheque if you return the old one?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Eeek! I might have some time Monday morning to nip to the bank and give it a go, but if not or they say no then thats a very good idea to phone the solicitors, hadn't really considered that they might reissue it! ?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

The time limit on cheques is 6 months unless the cheque states otherwise. Some commercial cheques are 12 months, but normally that is the maximum time limit. Most companies will re- issue an in cashed cheque.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

A solicitors should definitely reissue the cheque no problems. Their accounts rules have just got even stricter.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeedy!

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

I agree normally 6 months

You voted for . Add a comment 👇