Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

Time off work for wedding etc

*Pugsley*, 27 of August of 2013 at 21:37 Posted on Planning 0 14

I just wanted a few opinions please...

I've had a little bit of a calculation with my annual leave allowance for work and totted up how many days I need off for hen weekend, wedding, honeymoon plus my bro is getting married 6 months after me in America. If I literally just take off the days I absolutely need this will leave me with 1 spare day off. This is with giving me 7-8 days in America ( it's a long long way, approx 13 hours to get to where my bro is) so I wouldn't really want to go for any less time there.

My work doesn't usually let people carry annual leave days over but do you think it'd be cheeky for me to ask to carry a couple of this years over?

I'm also worried that I will need a day off next year to meet registrar as I think they only do mid week appointments.

I'm now worried I don't really have enough annual leave to do everything but will be gutted to go to America for less than a week as it is so far.

What do you all think? Is it worth asking or do you think work will say no to carrying days over as they normally say no?

14 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 28 of August of 2013 at 12:25
  • Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Everywhere I've worked as the no-carryover policy to prevent people taking the mick... storing loads up or trying to book at worst times. You've got great reasons and you can set out for them exactly when you need them. I reckon you've a good chance and it's definitely worth a punt.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Mine did - I reckon most (nice) employers would make an excepting for a wedding year!

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

My place of work doesn't usually allow carry over of leave, but there are always special circumstances

When we got engaged I asked to carry over leave from this year to next year, to allow me to have extra time for the wedding - they agreed to 5 days carry over....

it means this year is fully accounted for, (which is a weird feeling) , but i have agreement to have extended leave for our wedding next year, and that's really exciting Smiley smileSmiley smile

ask nicely, and hopefully they'll say yes - you have very genuine reasons to do so. Smiley smile

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely ask - no harm in asking and you never know - as Kentish Gal says it's usually to stop people storing up leave etc, and you've got good reasons and I'm not sure when your leave year is calculated but if your wedding is in March it sounds like you'd be using the carried over leave fairly early. If not could you ask to take a couple of unpaid days? Also, have you double-checked your work's holiday policy? Me and my OH found we both got an extra holiday day for getting married, which helped. And could you just go in late or take a half day for the registrar?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I have 4 days left this year an was thinking to ask to move 2 or 3 over.

I'll ask my boss tomorrow and fingers crossed they'll ok it. I don't see my brother much so don't really want to compromise on time over there to see him but I literally any make cut backs anywhere else.

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

It's definitely worth asking! I'm guessing you've already thought of this but I don't suppose your work would consider a flexi-time scheme for you? Or time off in lieu? Just as a one off.

Also worth checking whether you would actually get special leave for your wedding day and maybe even your brother's wedding? Usually only one day but it might help a bit? I got special days off for moving house and for attending my parents' 35th wedding anniversary!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately my work aren't very flexible at all but I'll try my best to convince them to let me carry a couple of days over or something.

I guess if you don't ask you don't get.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately my work aren't very flexible at all but I'll try my best to convince them to let me carry a couple of days over or something.

I guess if you don't ask you don't get.... Fingers crossed!

• TheMrsMeFo
    Beginner April 2015
    TheMrsMeFo ·
    • Hide content

I would ask, they can only say no. You have great reasons for needing a few extra days so I would think they will hopefully understand and allow you to carry a few days over. Its better than taking 'sick' days or having to leave early etc so you can meet all your appointments.

Fingers and toes crossed for you!!!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I am kind of in the same position as you.

Next year I have my wedding in February and also a friends wedding abroad in April - after both it leaves me with probably 3 days holiday for the rest of the year. However currently I have 16 days remaining this year, I would love to carry over 3 or 4 days, would be a great help and mean I can take a few days off before the wedding. My work have previously said no to carrying days over though, but I'm going to try again this year explaining I have the wedding, I don't hold out with hope though.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

?I've found before where I've worked at places that are fairly strict with holiday that they tend to make allowances for weddings etc.

Good luck

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Don't ask don't get and all that, but if they won't let you carry over a couple would you be able to take a couple days unpaid leave? Or work extra hours/days and get the time off in lieu? That's actually how I got most of the week before my wedding off; I had worked several weekend days in the 2 months previous and saved the time up for pre wedding!

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I would hope they would allow you as it's for a special reason. You could always say you would be willing to carry some and then take a couple of days unpaid leave (if you would be willing to do so) I am going to speak to my boss about a sabbatical as I have so much on next year and we fancy a nice 6 week honeymoon travelling. If they say no they say no, you work with what you got but I think you don't ask you don't get

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. When I used to teach, a colleague of mine was allowed to have a week off in TERM TIME (like, the most impossible, worst thing ever) for her wedding / honeymoon. If my evil, devil-biotch of an ex-boss would agree to that, I think you're laughing! ?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Pugsley I have to admit to having a bit of a chuckle to myself about this thread after your comments on the Tuesday Wedding thread ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics