Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Josiep00
Beginner December 2010

Time to start thinking about the wording for the ceremony

Josiep00, 14 April, 2010 at 14:04 Posted on Planning 0 7

We registered our intentions to marry over the weekend, so in the post yesterday we received our little wedding pack with wording for the ceremony and a choice of readings.

Some of the wording is really bland and others a bit too intense! My fella really likes the bit where it says "no legal impediment" as it he imagines it to be something Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice would say ?

We really enjoyed reading the "readings" as well and it got lots of ideas going about who should read what, we want a funny reading and a soppy one too (probably a Shakespeare sonnet).

Anyway, just wanted to share my little bit of news. Anyone made decisions regarding words/readings? Or even doing their own vows? Always nice to hear other peoples thoughts ?

7 replies

Latest activity by kj82, 14 April, 2010 at 20:30
  • waddle_thepenguin
    Beginner June 2010
    waddle_thepenguin ·
    • Hide content

We picked the middle choice for wordings, so not bland but no intense either.

And we've got these two readings all picked out:

Sooner or Later

By Anon

Sooner or later we begin to understand that love is more than verses on valentines, and romance in the movies.

We begin to know that love is here and now, real and true, the most important thing in our lives.

For love is the creator of our favourite memories, and the foundation of our fondest dreams.

Love is a promise that is always kept, a fortune that can never be spent, a seed that can flourish in even the most unlikely of places.

And this radiance that never fades, this mysterious and magical joy, is the greatest treasure of all -- one known only by those who love.

Chapter One of One Thousand

By O.J. Preston

For two people this dawn brought on a magical day

Now husband and wife they head on their way

As a boat setting sail may their journey begin

With calmest of waters, most helpful of wind

And if they should stumble upon turbulent sea

May it pass them unharming – leave them be.

For here are two people whom love has well bitten

Here opens their book which has yet to be written

As the first page unfolds and their life inks its path

May it write a true story where forever love lasts

Let their journey be happy till death do they part

Of one thousand chapters may this be the start.

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

Aww, they are both beautiful, but I especially like the first one!

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

We've not decided on vows yet, but I really like the idea of making up our own, seems just so much more personal.

As for readings, we're having:

Friendship, Judy Bielicki

It is often said that it is love that makes the world go round. However, without doubt, it is friendship which keeps our spinning existence on an even keel. True friendship provides so many of the essentials for a happy life-it is the foundation on which to build an enduring relationship, it is the mortar which bonds us together in harmony, and it is the calm, warm protection we sometimes need when the world outside seems cold and chaotic. True friendship holds a mirror to our foibles and failings, without destroying our sense of worthiness. True friendship nurtures our hopes, supports us in our disappointments, and encourages us to grow to our best potential. (Bride) and (Groom) came together as friends. Today, they pledge to each other not only their love, but also the strength, warmth and, most importantly, the fun of true friendship.

"The Art Of Marriage"
    by Wilferd A. Peterson

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens.
    A good marriage must be created.
    In the art of marriage the little things are the big things...

It is never being too old to hold hands.

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.

It is never going to sleep angry.

It is at no time taking the other for granted;
    the courtship should not end with the honeymoon,
    it should continue through all the years.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
    It is standing together facing the world.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude
    of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy.

It is speaking words of appreciation
    and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is not looking for perfection in each other.
    It is cultivating flexibility, patience,
    understanding and a sense of humour.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.

It is finding room for the things of the spirit.
    It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal,
    dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.

It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

It is discovering what marriage can be, at its best.

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

I love the one about friendship, very true and really pretty!

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

When we gave notice last year she gave us the book to choose our vows. We did this immediately and tucked the book away.

We made the decision we weren't having any readings and today we went off for our final appointment. I've had some bad family news this week so my head is all over the place and when we went in she said 'so have you got your book?'. I'd actually forgotten so much that I had no idea what she was talking about. I looked a right plank! Then came the lecture about how we should have read the book before we came (we did, 6 months ago!). So we had to sit outside and quickly choose everything again. Nightmare. I forgot my chequebook too but luckily OH had his credit card.

Lesson to you all (those having civil ceremony). Take your book with your vow choices in or you'll get told off!!!!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I knew instantly which ones i wanted after reading the vows (think we're skipping the "readings") i was very mindful that people are going to be staring at me and that will be quite nerve racking so i read them all out to OH in the car on the way home from the registra we picked the ones that were simple, easiest to pronounce and more "us".

• lynziloo
    Beginner August 2010
    lynziloo ·
    • Hide content

Stazzle - yrs are lovely!

My mum is going to read a love-y poem by one of the romantic poets (were both English grads so v. appropriate!) probably Wordsworth, and hopefully h2b's nephew or brother in law will read something else altho not sure yet what exactly...

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Me and h2b disagree on the ceremony wording - great way to start married life lol. He wants all the long drawn out 'traditional' wording whereas I would rather not have to say too much. The less i have to say the less i can *** up in front of everyone!!!!

We are having at least one reading - not sure what though but my sis who isnt bm is going to do that for us. Some lovely readings in this thread though, might be pinching some........

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics