Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2b_MrsB
Beginner June 2013

Timing of evening food .......Help !!

2b_MrsB, 16 September, 2012 at 11:50 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi again to everyone,

Please excuse any rambling here but my heads in a bit of a pickle !

Due to our ceremony not being until 3.30pm, we'll have drinks in the garden and formal photos taken before sitting down to our meal until 5.15pm and the speeches will done before it is served so based on the timing that our venue has given us for the room to be turned around our evening reception won't begin until 8pm (we'll have some more photos taken during the room change), so we are planning on opening the evening with the cutting of the cake followed by the first dance at 8pm.

This has got us me thinking about the timing of our evening food. Originally we had planning to have bacon/sausage baps and a cheese selection along with a chocolate fountain/dips served at 9.45pm and the cake would also be served at this time, but now I'm thinking this will be too much and too early ?????

Our quote for the chocolate fountain is for a 3 hours period but it is up to ourselves if we use for this long but we pay the same anyway. So now I'm thinking of having the fountain set up when the evening starts (8pm) until 11pm and having the bacon/sausage butties and cake served at around 10/10.30pm along with the cake and just cutting out the cheese selection all together (venue can do veggie sausage so no problem for the couple of vegetarian guests).

There will be no extra evening guests and the fountain will be set up in an adjoining room to the main one so our guests can just go and pick from it as they want to and it wont disturb the flow of the evening plus we get the full time use of the fountain.

My heads in a spin with it all, so what do you lot think ?????

Thanks in advance

L x

6 replies

Latest activity by Selenalee69, 17 September, 2012 at 12:13
  • Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

It does sound like a lot of food . I think perhaps if there is both a choc fountain and cake, whether some will be wasted...perhaps the cake could be boxed up for people to take home so they make full use of the fountain ? If it were me personally, I would set the fountain up so it was availalable after the meal,then serve the butties at around 10-10.30- I would go for either a cheese selection or the butties . If I were going for cheese buffet instead of butties, I would set that up a little earlier so people can pick as they want to-maybe 9-9.30 ? x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Selena,

Boxing the cake is something I hadn't thought of so thanks for the idea but still not sure what to do timing wise

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'm inclined to think that is a good time to serve evening food too gracefly

Are you having a full evening buffet and do you have guests invited to your evening reception only ??

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

We don't have any evening guests only but do think that the day guests will need something later too soak up some of the drink .

I've given it some thought during the day and think it best that the chocolate fountain be set up when the room is being set up for the evening reception to save hassle later and so the younger children can enjoy it as some might be taken to bed and miss out otherwise.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I definitely agree with setting the fountain up early. I suppose with your timing problem, it's best to work out roughly how long the main meal will take to be served and completed...is it a 2 course or 3 ? On a normal day,how long do people normally have in between meals-at least 4 hours or more? You wouldn't want to serve the evening food too early (especially if it's hot) when people are still feeling full up and can't manage it. I think if it were me, I'd abandon the hot buttie idea and go for cold buffet instead-then it doesn't matter what time you put it out :-) x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics