Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2022 Essex

Timings of the day?

Katie, 16 of February of 2021 at 16:12 Posted on Planning 0 2
Hello everyone! My partner and I have just started planning our wedding for July 2022, but we are keen to get things booked in quickly. I went to book a registrar but didn't realise we need a half hour wedding time slot, so the time has come to make decisions! I know many others have probably asked similar but any advice would be appreciated.

We can arrive at the venue from 11pm to get ready, I will most likely get hair done before this and then arrive at venue for make up/ dress/ photos.

So currently, our thinking is for our ceremony to be at 1pm (it will be outdoors in the middle of summer, some have warned me it should be later to avoid heat of the day but I don't want to miss half the day hiding from my soon to be hubby!)
I assume ceremonies then last around 30 mins so done by 1:30pm.
Photos and drinks/ canopes from 1:45- 4pm, then go in for our wedding breakfast.
Also, a silly question maybe, do people usually eat and then do speeches? Or vice versa?
Eve guests to arrive at 7pm.
Does that sound pretty standard?

2 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 18 of February of 2021 at 12:41
  • Kirsty
    Curious July 2022 Gloucestershire
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya,

Fellow July 2022 bride here! I think it’s whatever timings work best for you really. But I can say my timeline if it helps - as I’m also doing an outdoor ceremony.
    I have booked our registrar to start at 2pm. Originally, both of us thought this seemed late but after speaking to the venue, the registrar and families it seemed to work best with the timings of the rest of the day.
    It allows guests to arrive around 1:30 and then have about 1 and a half/ 2 hours between that and the wedding breakfast. Because we are in one place for the whole day, everyone said that any more than that and people can start to get either really hungry (canopies are not a good replacement meal with drinking), tired feet from standing and it would be lots of drinks needed at that point. However, we are providing interactive live music and hoping for some outdoor games! Meal then at 4/4:30 and band set up around 7.
    I have only attended weddings where it’s eating followed by speeches - or at least speeches between main and dessert. Again, usually it’s a long time since people have had breakfast and so people are usually focused on food first! But I’m sure it could work both ways.
    To be honest, I think whatever works best for your day! I like hearing what other people are doing anyway Smiley smile
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Both of your timings look great to me. So long as you have 1.5-2 hours between the end of the ceremony and being called in for the meal you should be ok, but always keeping a mind to not running things too late otherwise you will be still eating - or only just finished when the evening guests start arriving.

If you only have 40 guests and its the middle of winter then 2 hours may be too long but middle of summer long and lazy relaxed is the way to go.

Its about 50/50 for me how many people have the speeches before the meal or after. The main reason I hear for them being first is if someone is really nervous about it and therefore wont enjoy their food. Having them first is also a good excuse and reason to keep them short too --- food waiting.

But before you plan too far on having them first speak to your venue because they may not be able to accommodate them first because of the food you are having, remember for the venue the speeches are an unknown length of time and they have to time the service to the end of the speeches.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics