Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2015

Tiny wedding- what to wear?

Sums2b, 16 of November of 2014 at 20:39 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi everyone,

i am getting married next March and it's all booked but nobody apart from my fiancé and I know yet! We have decided to have a tiny wedding with just two witnesses (we are going to ask his parents) and then go on a four day holiday to Italy.

There are quite a few reasons for this but the main ones are that I have been married before and although I think my family will be very happy for us, most of them won't be overly concerned about attending and my fiances family are the other extreme and will have an opinion about everything- his worst nightmare. There is also a member of his family who disapproved of our relationship as I am older than him(nobody else cared!) but although the rest of the family were supportive, it is still very awkward and I want to avoid a big drama about who to invite etc.

In addition, I have two children with special needs (and another child too) who wouldn't cope at all with a wedding and I don't want a big wedding without them there. We also work together so we want to keep it quiet and personal, although we will tell our families before hand.

we are planning a party later in the year to celebrate with people. And we are thinking of a meal with his grandmother after the ceremony.

its been a big decision but we are happy that nobody will be upset and we are both excited and looking forward to being married. We have been together for a couple of years and love together.

It's all booked and we have the rings (went for palladium in the end!) and the honeymoon sorted.. I just don't know what to wear! It's a very short service and I don't want to wear a wedding dress but I was thinking a pale coloured dress might be a good compromise?

Has anybody else gone for a less formal, tiny wedding? What are you planning to wear??

Thanks for any replies!

15 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 18 of November of 2014 at 12:35
  • Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds so romantic :-) have you considered a knee length wedding dress? Or did you want floor length?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, congratulations. Have you considered a bridesmaid dress? They're still a little more formal and structured but arent a full on wedding dress, and they come in a vast array of colours, could be a good compromise? To be honest though you could wear any dress you like! I love 50s dresses for a less formal feel, or even check out the current high street sales in debenhams, bhs etc and grab yourself an expensive dress for a bit less! Good luck, keep us updated on your plans!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Sounds very intimate & romantic. Monsoon & coast have some beautiful dresses in at the mo. I think this one is in the monsoon bridesmaid section but i love, love, love it!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Do you really not want white because these are cute but more informal:

a suit is another good casual option:

or some coloured ideas:

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

this is beautiful

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I had a tiny wedding (2 witnesses, and my 2 sons), and wore this...

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!! A tiny wedding sounds lovely - we were very close to doing this ourselves, but have ended up with a big shindig, although very happy to be doing so!

The honest answer is that nothing will be too understated or too OTT - regardless of size, location, or your age, it is STILL YOUR WEDDING, and if you wanted to go down the Katie Price/Big Fat Gypsy route and have flashing lights in your tiara, you would hear no criticism from any of us, as long as it is what you want! Equally, if you quite fancy a new pair of jeans and a top to get married in, then so be it!

The good thing is that there are lots of lovely dresses out there that will be more than gorgeous, whether "bridal" in terms of being white/ivory or something a bit more contemporary or casual. Get yourself around the high street sales - Coast have some beautiful dresses, as do Debenhams, for very very good prices. Also go and have a look at bridal boutiques or an outlet store if you have one nearby - you can get some beauties from their sample rail if you're lucky, for a fraction of full price.

Do you have ANY leanings towards style/colour/length etc. How old are you (if you don't mind me asking - I'm 44 and had quite a battle with myself initially thinking I should go for a "old person, 2nd time bride" twin set and pearls type outfit before saying s*d it, I'm getting married, and I'll bloomin well wear what I like!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I don't really have anything to add, there've been some great suggestions above, but I just wanted to add a whole-hearted "hear hear" to the suggestion that you wear whatever you like, that you will feel great in, and blow anyone else's expectations. ?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My friend got married in this dress this year ... GORGEOUS!

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for all the lovely replies and links to those amazing dresses! I think the bridesmaid dress idea is excellent and that's where I will start to look :-)

i am 33 so not exactly young but ok to still wear most stuff I think? I am really tall so probably won't go for full length as it will end at an awkward above the ankle place lol.

such helpful replies, I am really excited to get dress shopping now!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a colour in mind? hitchers are amazing at helping out with ideas on things like this, and if we have direction we can be even better helpers!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yay! Im glad we helped to inspire you :-) this is the dress i'll be wearing as a bridesmaid and I had to have loads taken off it:

http://www.abride2bee.co.uk/monica-p-1570.html?page=all&cPath=4_5_6

The dress my bridesmaids wore came in two different lengths, so you don't necessarily have to rule out full length.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Well worth a trip to savvy Cinderella where they have a huge selection of dresses and all things wedding. Very helpful too

lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics