Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner September 2015

Tipi and running water- any advice?

flaw27, 4 of November of 2014 at 12:57 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello!

I'm getting married in September next year, in a field, at a farm, with no running water. I'm starting to regret wanting to have a dry hire, blank canvas wedding- the planning is quite overwhelming as well as the prices!! I could have gone for a very pricey barn for the money I'm ending up having to spend in hidden costs.

Anyway, my caterers sent over my detailed quote and right at the very end it specifies that they need me to supply the catering tent (which i maybe naively assumed they would supply) - an extra £600- and they also need running water, obviously.

However, there isn't any access to running water in my field. Can anyone else as bonkers as me that has dry hired somewhere in the middle of nowhere shed some light around this and offer me any other advice which I may not have been given yet?

Thanks!

Carly

8 replies

Latest activity by Sam&Louise, 13 of November of 2014 at 10:41
  • R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

What are you doing for toilets? If it is the traditional chemical portaloo with no running water then that won't help you but if you are getting a the fancier toilet trailer, where the toilets flush and people can actually wash their hands then they come with a second truck which is a water carrier- they usually have several outlets, one of which could be hooked up to your catering tent (the water is drinking quality) if you ask and pre-arrange this with them.

If you are having the chemi-loo portable toilets which have no running water then you will have to hire a 'water truck' these come in several types but which ever you go for you need to ensure that it is drinking quality water if they are using it for cooking/ washing up. I suspect however that these are going to be quite expensive, though I have never actually hired hem, just seen them used at friends weddings.

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    flaw27 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Rambosmum!

I am having the fancier toilets so I will speak to them and see what they say. Phew! I was feeling sick at having to hire something else too!

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

great. I hope they are happy for it to do the dual function. If not then goole 'water tank hire uk' and a few companies come up.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Rather than hiring a catering tent, try looking at gazebos that have sides. When I was planning my outdoor wedding (which is now indoor due to cost), I found it was a fraction of the price to buy a gazebo with sides. I checked with the caterer and they said the size was big enough.

Might save you some money there :-)

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    flaw27 ·
    • Hide content

I'll look into that, thanks Smiley smile

We're having a teepee so I really want the catering tent to match- they have support tents which fit on to the side of the teepee but they're £600 quid. It needs to be matted and lit.

it's all become so expensive, I'll definitely be trying to find a way to get the suppliers in a 6m x 6m tent under that amount.

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    MellieMoo ·
    • Hide content

Contact your local scouts! I was surprised to find they have loads of stuff for hire, including marquees and gazebos for really cheap :-)

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I really feel for you! We're having tipis in a field too and it can so easily become one expense after another cant it Smiley sad (also september next year!)

We're really lucky in the fact that we started planning with 3 whole years to go, so we had ages to research the ins and outs of the type of wedding we wanted- and luckily found some land with a water supply and a caterer who provides their own tent.

A couple of other things to consider if you've not yet;

Set up and delivery of everything- do you need to be around to supervise the delivery and set up the tipis? We do, if we're not available we have to pay someone else to do it. This also applies to the fancy loos, generator and pretty much everything else.

External lighting for at night. Seems obvious but it was one of the last things we thought of! Floodlights, lit pathways to the loos etc

I'm sure there's more, i'll update if I can think of anything else.

Good luck, fingers crossed it wont work out too costly!

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    flaw27 ·
    • Hide content

Luckily we have the Friday for set up so I can be there all day for the deliveries and can set the whole place up. I can't imagine having to do it all on the Saturday morning of the wedding! I think I'd have a heart attack!

I've got a big list of things not to forget- i must remember to write down lighting the path to the loos! Do stay in touch if something little pops up that you think I may have also forgotten. There's so much to arrange I'm sure there will be something really big that I completely forget about till the day.

I've just found out that there is a natural spring that we can tap in to for the running water- hurrah!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Yay! So pleased you've managed to sort the water issue. That's one more thing ticked off of the list ?

If we come across any other issues i'll definitely update. Fingers crossed that'll be it though. The 10 month countdown is on!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics