Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Tipi wedding

30 of June of 2013 at 17:29 Posted on Planning 0 23

We are hoping to have our wedding reception in a tipi. I was wondering if there is anyone who has done this before who can give me a breakdown of the cost. I know there will be a lot of add ons: generators, toilets, field hire, etc. and I know it won't be cheap.

And also how hard you've found it to organise everything.

It would be for approx 100 people.

Thank you in advance.

23 replies

Latest activity by Sam&Louise, 11 of August of 2015 at 19:02
  • H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I can't really help with specifics but we looked into this when we started wedding planning and yes, it is very expensive! From what we found: tipis were between 3k and 5k - this was the Papa Kata ones, set up for 100 people. This was literally set up and didn't include tables, seating, toilets, etc. The price depended on the configuration of the tents. Another big cost to bear in mind is where you will actually set up the tipis - so you may also need to think about venue hire for grounds, which could easily be 1 - 2k on top of the tipi price. The place we looked at wanted full hire of their barns for the weekend and then the tipi went outside in the acres of field. In the end, it was just waaaaaay out of our price and we settled for a village hall!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Literally just shot a wedding yesterday, 100 people in a tipi, they managed it well, although I can't speak for the costs tbh, if you're really interested I can email the bride to ask

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I shot a tipi wedding a few years back and you can

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    Sarah_coxy ·
    • Hide content

I had fallen in love with the idea of tipis too.

Weenquired about tipis big enough to house 120 guests and were quoted just over 6k to hire the tipis alone.

Which was justway out if our budget - made the mistake of seeing one set up as well. They are BEAUTIFUL.

Got engaged Oct 12and are marrying Oct 13 though so without waiting til 2014 it just wasn't an option. We're now getting wed in a converted farm which is also beautiful Smiley smile

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

The quote I got for one was £7k

Hahahahhahahahahahahaha. No.

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

It was my first avenue of research after I got engaged. Naively I also thought it would be a cheaper option. Where I am from this IS the cheaper option! Oh wellSmiley smile One alternative to tipis are Capri marquees - not as nice..but they are still impressive - though yes you still need all the extras really.

Hope someone has had one, would love to see some pics and report!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I believe they are quite pricey. My sister recently went to the wedding of a quite "well off" couple. They had a tipi and it looked amazing inside!! It was sort of moroccan themed with chill out areas and was stunning in the photos I saw.

Sorry, not sure on exact prices. Contact a company and just ask them for a quote. You have no obligation to go ahead, it's just an initial enquiry. ?

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

I've done a few tipis weddings. The atmosphere is always amazing but the last one I did, the weather wasn't great and it was what only can be described as 'sludgy' inside! I'm not sure how / why the flooring differs from a normal marquee. If you go ahead make sure everyone brings wellies just in case... See here:

http://instagram.com/p/TjivxzmgiG/

James

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Only advice I have is make sure you pay the money for proper flooring, we should have attended a wedding last May with a tipi but due to the rain the whole thing was flooded and therefore couldn’t be used!!!! If they had paid the money for correct flooring it would have been fine.

So only actually seen it from a distance, looked the part!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're having a tipi wedding Smiley laugh

They're not a cheap option, but not really any more expensive than having an averagely priced venue (IMO)

Organising wise, I know I have a while to go (2015 bride) but to be honest it's been fairly easy so far....famous last words maybe? It's just a case of getting things booked. We've already got all the big stuff booked and out of the way, so for the next year or so we'll just be saving, paying things off and picking up bits and pieces as we go.

Costings wise, we are having

2x Giant tipis (suitable for up to 125 guests)

Bench style tables and seating with reindeer hides

Flooring

Fairy lights for the beams,

16ft x 16ft wooden dancefloor

Matted walkway (30metres)

Large open fire (+ Fire safety kit)

Bar

A relax lounge for 20 (beanbag style seating, low tables etc)

2 sets of lighting for each tipi

+ a damage waiver fee

Quote is less than £5k

All with up to 125 guests in mind.

Additional costs are:

If you need to hire some land (ours is £1800 + VAT)

Toilets (Portaloos £50 + VAT each, right through to fancy posh toilet blocks up to about £500)

If your venue doesn't have a water supply, you may need to provide this. This isn't a problem for us, so I don't know costing for that i'm afraid)

Generator approx £600, but will vary depending how much power you need.

+ All your usual wedding expenses, such as catering, decorating etc

You're welcome to PM me if you want any more specifics Smiley smile

PS: They definitely shouldn't be sludgy inside if the weather is poor...I can only assume that the couple opted not to book flooring? Flooring for us was almost £400. There are a range of flooring options, from tightly woven matting (suitable for heels) through to wooden flooring. Both of which should have plastics underneath to stop moisture coming through. Setting them up straight onto grass isn't wise.

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    Sarah_coxy ·
    • Hide content

I'm in chesterfield veggievampire, so not too far off south yorks - not sure if it would be a bit far out for you, but my converted farm venue is Swancar Farm, might be worth a look Smiley smile

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Are you location bound? I know a venue that has one up permanently and I'm wondering if that's cheaper?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, only just seen your reply.
    We've booked with Beautiful World Tents.
    We also looked at Papa Kata though, who are based further north ?

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Pinkymallow ·
    • Hide content

I've been looking into this too and have a quote from Beautiful World Tents, it's come out a bit more expensive than the£5k someone else said but maybe there is some negotiation to be had! I'm hoping anyway!

I did did see a post where someone quoted thatcher wedding only cost £4k in a tipi but is suspect it was for sub 80 people and by the looks of it was in their family garden. Whe you add up all the costs it is quite expensive compared to other options.

If I may be cheeky canI ask The other person who posted about beautiful world tents to mention the venue as it is cheaper than the one we have been looking stand I'm trying to look at ways we can make this tipi thing work!

Have a great wedding! :-)

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh - my Sis had a tipi wedding back in August - it was STUNNING! I have asked her for her costs breakdown so will post them when she send them through.

Meanwhile, you may want to check out this fab website, where they have a land directory - perfect if you are looking for locations for the tipi! https://www.festivalbrides.co.uk/venuesland-hire/

Good luck!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Here is the link to the tipi featured in my slide show on the other page if its any use.

https://www.peaktipis.co.uk/index.html
  • NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

OK, my lovely Sis got back with her Tipi quote details. DM me if you want to know who the supplier was. :-)

For 150 people seated, and all the extras, she was quoted c.£8k.

Key costs contributing to this included:

- Tipi £3.2k

- Catering tent £600

- Flooring (matting) £600

- lights / disco ball / fairy lights - £480

- Furniture (tables and benches) - c. £1k

- Dance floor £200

- Bar £140

- Fire pit - £160

Hope that helps!

Nathalie

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I believe that was me Smiley smile

The £5k we were quoted was based on all the things I mentioned previously. That was back in September/October 2012, so prices are likely to have increased a bit since then. I also imagine quotes vary a lot depending on the individual options you might have gone for, such as different choice of tables, chairs, lighting, flooring etc.

The cost of land to have them on is an additional cost. So it's £5k + land hire and everything else. We have booked at the House Meadow in Kent. But I believe for a limited time BWT are offering free delivery to any venue in Kent or Sussex (usually about £500+) - so you might also like to consider Knepp castle which has toilet and kitchen facilities included in the price. Most other places do not

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Knepp Castle tipi wedding about 2 years ago, I think the couple said it was about 5k.

http://www.inframeweddings.co.uk/knepp-castle-wedding-photography/

• S
    Beginner August 2016
    Soontobe22 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I have read on here that you were planning a Tipi wedding (Congratulations if you have had it btw!).
    I am looking into this option now, the quote you got seems really reasonable. Which company did you go for? How did you find it? What flooring option did you go for? I want to make sure we pick the right one but need to get a comprehensive idea of costs before we go ahead and book!

I would really appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Helloo

Did you mean me and my quote? If so we booked with Beautiful world tents. We did book in 2012 though (this is quite an old thread) so pricing may have changed in the last couple of years. I know that our original venue for example has doubled in price since we booked, but unsure on any changes to the tipis.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics