Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner

Tipi wedding - FIRST POST :D

Jaxcat86, 10 of June of 2016 at 03:23 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello all!

First post - hurrah! I've only recently gotten engaged, so we've only just started to think about all the different millions of avenues we can go down.

One is - hiring a tipi. If we do, I would like to have it somewhere next to accommodation. Like, a big house or a stately home. I'd ideally like to bring our own alcohol and have a free bar, but we'll see how that pans out. I want to have it next to a big house because I want people to be able to stay over. I really want people to have a good time, and not feel like they have to leave because of trains etc.

I currently live in London, but am looking for a venue outside. Kent, Essex, Hertfordshire, I'm not really picky.

Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions, they would be very welcome!! ?

12 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 13 of June of 2016 at 14:28
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

No suggestions but hello ?, congratulations and welcome to hitched

• J
    Beginner November 2016
    JadeyPops98 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I don't know that area at all, just wanted to say why don't you have people camp? You can hire companies that set up like individual tipis for guest so they don't have to struggle to put up a tent

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations & welcome! Exciting times ahead!

I had Lodge Farm House nr Hitchin on my shortlist - there's not masses of accommodation on site (but it's quite close to Hitchin where there's a few hotels & a new Premier Inn etc), but you hire the grounds & can put up your own marquee or tipi - didn't look round there in the end but it sounded great:

www.lodgefarmbandb.co.uk

The only thing is, you can't marry there so will have to do that bit elsewhere.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and congratulations!! I don't have any suggestions for places as I'm right in the coast in kent so all local venues will be a mission to get to for you but be aware tipis do not come cheap and combined with a state home or hotel for accomodation your looking at a large budget. We looked at the options in the UK including marque and tipi and found the cost including the ground needed to put them up was extortionate although tipis do look stunning for weddings! I would ask a tipi company for an estimate and go from there

• F
    Beginner June 2016
    FloLo ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Fellow Tipi bride here Smiley smile

I'm sure someone will have mentioned this but be aware of extra costs for hiring the venue + the tipis and everything they come with.

I get married next Saturday, we're really lucky that we have our own land to put them on... But it is still very expensive

They're so beautiful and memorable, if you can do it then go for it!

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

You might want to look into renting a private home that allows weddings on AirBnb or a similar website. That might save you from having to pay a high venue fee for a stately home as well as tipi costs. All of your guests won't be able to stay overnight, but you should be able to find somewhere with room for your wedding party and parents. We originally looked in to that but ending up finding another venue that suited our needs.

ETA: Just did a quick google and this was on a list of AirBnB's "ultimate wedding venues". Not in the area you're looking for, but just an example: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1117501?wl_source=list&wl_id=73&role=public

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Hello! Congratulations!!!

love a tipi wedding. My Sis had one in a similar area to you at the Henry Moore foundation in Perry Green. There was lots of space for the tipi and the grounds were amazing. There was also indoor space available too. We stayed at Down Hall hotel afterwards, which was not too far away.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Tipis generally stay around the £3000 mark then most places charge around £2000 for the grounds, there ate a few places where you can have a licenced ceremony, look for somewhere with a barn perhaps x

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Whoever you look at try to find somewhere that allows you exclusivity across the weekend. The setup and take down times may clash with any wedding venue if they hold multiple weddings over a weekend.

Off the top of my head a couple of lovely places to look at with grounds would be Firle Place in Lewes (Sussex), MASSIVE grounds there and very pretty with a big Stately home overlooking it as well as the Sussex Beacons to go for photos.

Also, there's Hexton Manor, nice usable house for the ceremony with a large field by a river next door to it. Plus a covered area outside for the ceremony too.

Umm, and there's probably more. It's just not something I see lots of because cost stops people from doing it most times. Then apply venue rules about exclusivity and it tends to dampen things down further.

Mostly, tipi weddings I've shot ended up being on a family farm or in the garden of the parents.

The other caveat would be that most wedding venues with overnight accommodation are hotels. Stately homes usually have space for 10 people overnight and that's about it.

Oakley Hall Hotel, Buxted Park, Stoke Place, Hintlesham Hall and Shendish Manor all have grounds.

Buxted Park I know for sure can do it as there was a wedding I shot one December and they had a 200 guest Marquee erected outside and they've lots of rooms there too.

Hope that helps!

• J
    Beginner
    Jaxcat86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I haven't really thought about budget yet, we just wanted to test the waters first. Thank you Smiley smile

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Tipi weddings are awesome!!! We played at a lavender farm near Hitchin... just google Hitchin lavender farm and it comes up.

Not so sure about close accomodation but you could always coach people in and out.

It's a beautiful place.

• Neil Walker Photography
    Neil Walker Photography ·
    • Hide content

Tipi weddings can be fantastic, though just a quick note as a wedding photographer, is that they can be quite dark.

Not a problem as long as you get a good photographer used to using available light, but it will effect how the photos look.

Marquees's, because they are generally white, give beautiful soft light that means lovely skin tones, while tipi's can mean quite directional light from spotlights rather than the sun through the canvas.

There are some lovely marquees around now, here's a link to a wedding I shot with a marquee the couple had imported from India for the wedding. It cost very little to import & they were planning to sell it afterwards for a profit!

http://www.neilwalkerphotography.co.uk/sussex-marquee-wedding-photography-freya-chris/

Most tipi or marquee weddings do tend to be in family gardens or farms, however you might try pubs which now often will host tipi weddings as well as having accommodation.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hitchin Lavender is an awesome place, I agree - but last time I looked they were fully booked for weddings until 2019!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics