Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner January 2011

Tipi's and tents

Ditssy, 11 February, 2013 at 21:25 Posted on Planning 0 11

I dont have a set date of our wedding at the minute, but I am toying with the idea of using Tipi's as a venue.

Biggest reason is that the Church I want to get married in is in the village I grew up in which is very very rural, and any venue is a good trip away. But what we do have is my parents house close to it (less than 5 min drive) and they have plenty of land that can be used for this purpose.

Anyway reason im posting is to ask whether anyone has used these for a venue? If yes were they worth it? What extras will we need? What is a rough guestimate on prices?

I was thinking of the guests also, there isnt anywhere for lodgings either to which I was thinking we could hire lots of little tipi's as accommodation (find out how many wanted to stay then find out how many of them we would need, get the prices and then ask the guests for the money for them? seeing as they would have to pay for their own accommodation anyway)

I hope that makes sense and would appreciate any ideas, hints, tips and any opinions on this.

Thanks you Smiley smile

11 replies

Latest activity by Ditssy, 13 February, 2013 at 15:30
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Sounds wonderful and there is a couple on here doing just that. Hopefully they will see this soon.

Hello and welcome too.

• D
    Beginner January 2011
    Ditssy ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh thank you very much Smiley smile I'm so nervous lol and no clue where to start and what to do!!

Just I know it will make things much easier if this is something we can manage.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome! Check out Festival Brides, I remember they showed a lot of Tipi/tent suppliers and I guess you might be interested in the other stuff they recommend along with the theme!

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Get a quote from World Inspired tents - they are amazing. Extras you will need to think about are as follows:

- Location (must be flat)

- Electricity supply - hire a generator or can you tap into a domestic supply?

- Water supply - hire a large water caddy or tap into domestic supply?

- Toilet hire - between £500 - £1000

- Separate catering tent will be required with adequate flooring

- Possible separate bar tent (my friend's tipi didn't have enough room)

- Decorating and arranging furniture falls down to you - plus clearing out the marquee afterwards - allow 1 day either side of the wedding to do this.

• D
    Beginner January 2011
    Ditssy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your replies. The more I think about it, the more I want this style.

I emailed cariad canvas and she has given me a breakdown of costs and extras which will help, and I can hopefully see some estimate of what were looking at and work from there.

I think access will have to be thought of.... It is doable as farm machinery go down the lane and years ago we managed to get a chalet in two halve down to the area.

Hmm never thought about who would shift things... something to keep in mind and see who i can muster.

If we could pull this off I would be so happy.... but must check other options as well.

Thank you ever so much, you have given me more things to think about Smiley smile xxxx

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're having tipis!

Most things have been covered above, but definitely just bear in mind that there are lots of "hidden" costs for things you wouldn't usually think of and these can be a lot more than you may initially have budgeted for. You're more than welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions, as we're more or less sorted now I think.

With regards to the mini-tipis thing for guest accommodation, this is something we looked into as well, but I think we're swaying against it. The mini one's we've looked at actually sleep 10 people. We didn't think many of our guests would appreciate bunking up with 4/5 other couples so we're now looking at alternatives. I think it was about £500 extra for 10 mini tipis.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Here is a wedding I photographed which sounds similar to some of your ideas. The Church is next door to Mum and Dads and the tipis are in the field behind the Church.
    It was just too windy to have the sides open, but that just shows how versatile they can be, it was speeches and drinks and then hog roast later.They had benches with faux fur throws.
    One thing that people have said is that it is not to be seen as a cheep option for your day.

• D
    Beginner January 2011
    Ditssy ·
    • Hide content

Again thank you for your replies.

It seems I have gone for an expensive option.

But if everyone is fully aware before the wedding of what's to come then at least only those that want to do what were intending will stay with us. I can't see my friends complaining. But if i offer tents as 2's and 4's as well and show the prices they might like to choose that option?

I had intended for the guests to pay for the housing tents... seeing as they would have spent to stay in a hotel or somewhere else. If they chose to stay in the one that sleeps 6 then its 55 pounds each to pay. And i think they can get 2 nights out of that. The ones that don't want to stay in them could go to the b&b pub in the next village.

Because it is a rural area there is very few options available when it comes to accommodation unfortunately. But I thought it would add to the feel of the wedding itself.

Those who don't like it can choose not to come I guess. I'm not having an excessive amount of people at this time.

Lol I sound harsh. I might float the idea and see what a lot of people think.

I can make certain other aspects myself to make it more affordable. i.e Make our own invitations and other stationary. Decorate ourselves. I can get a family member to make a cake. So only need to pay for ingredients.

I have found some very beautiful dresses for bridesmaids on ebay which don't break the bank.

As well as that the tractor idea might fit in well lol. My grandfathers old fashioned tractor dressed up, pulling a decent trailer, add some hay bales and then cover with white sheets and decorate to the colour of the wedding itself....

Am I being unrealistic in getting this wedding?!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Not unrealistic at all, sounds wonderful. Asking people to pay to their accommodation is reasonable. Like you said, they would have to if it was a hotel wedding.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to know what everyone is paying for their tents as where we've looked so far they seem quite a cost. We're thinking of have a couple of Capri tents instead.

TBH we're budgeting 14k for the wedding and these lovely tents seem to push things to the 20k mark and that's a figure I just can't get over.

• D
    Beginner January 2011
    Ditssy ·
    • Hide content

I think it varies massively on how many people you're having and how much of the extras you are using from the companies as well. One quote (rough) of what we'll need is 6000 pounds. But if i do need the extra tents for accommodation then they wont add to the budget as I would get the guests to pay for those.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics