Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner April 2014

tipping

Katty1234, 10 of March of 2014 at 11:56 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi guys!

Does anyone know what the etiquette is for tipping suppliers (i.e band, other musicians, caterers) on the wedding day when you pay the balance?

Obviously given that they provide good service!) xx

11 replies

Latest activity by Hisgirl, 10 of March of 2014 at 18:27
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Tipping most definitely is not expected by any of the suppliers I know or work with.

A "Thank You" is more than enough ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We tipped the venue/staff and my MUA/hairdresser. We didn't tip the photographer or the DJ, but we did provide food and drinks for both. There had also been a few tips along the planning stages e.g. to the lady who altered my dress.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Our venue adds a service charge on all food and drink anyway so I won't be giving them an additional tip on top.

I'll probably give the hairdresser a tip as it's kind of standard practice but that's it.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I hate the whole concept of tipping so won't be giving anything, unless someone went particulary above and beyond on the day.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I didn't tip any of the suppliers, except a small one for the hairdresses & MUA. I did send a thankyou card & big box of chocolates to the wedding co-ordinator at the venue, & also gave nice feedback to the DJ & suppliers I was pleased with.

The photographer & DJ both got full price, 3 course guest meals, as they were family friends & we had spare seats. Never considered tipping after the amounts we paid for everything. I don't like the whole tipping thing, in America its ridiculous. I can work all hours of the day & night, give fantastic service & not gets tips, so it shouldn't be expected by others. Its a nice gesture if the service was outstanding, but shouldn't be the norm or expected.

• ApricotTree
    Beginner December 2013
    ApricotTree ·
    • Hide content

We've been tipped a few times, but I find it a bit awkward as a supplier. Definitely not necessary, though is a nice gesture. A hot meal is much more appreciated on the day!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I don't really like the tipping culture - that tips can be expected. I tip when I want to say 'thanks' to someone for good service as opposed to when i feel etiquette demands that I ought to.

I've done my fair share of service jobs in years gone by, and I learned that I had to go above and beyond for tips.

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

I tipped my seamstress as she did a fantastic job on altering my dress. Will most likely tip the bar/waiting staff at the venue as we always tip in restaurants (where the service is good) but hadn't really considered the tog etc. We're paying enough for their services as it is!!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for a really interesting thread. Certainly provoked some thoughts for me as I hadn't given this any thought at all. I don't expect to tip anyone, including the MUA and hairdresser as they're self employed and will be coming to me plus I'm sure we'll have some goodies on offer for them lol. We are having a couple of serving staff joining us on the bus ride to serve drinks and canapes and if they do a good job then they'll get a little something.

We recently tipped serving staff at my mums funeral as they came to the house and did such a fantastic job of looking after everyone, especially my dad and me, we felt they deserved it. That's what tipping is about for me. People who are employed by others, who don't set the rate and who won't get anywhere near what we pay.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Gosh I hadn't even thought to do this. I'm paying them all before the day so I feel a bit weird then tipping my MUA/hairdresser just randomly...hmmm.

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

As others have said, I will only tip when I get really good service, except with hairdressers for some reason, I always feel I need to tip them (even when one cut my hair all wonky, go figure!!!!).

If I think that people do a great job on the day and gone above and beyond then I will send them something after the wedding as thank you (wine or chocolates).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics