Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner April 2018

Tipping Etiquette?

FilleNouvelle, 28 of August of 2017 at 01:55 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi there,

American bride getting married in Scotland over here! In the states, you're expected to pretty much tip every wedding vendor (and some places even charge a service free which they then demand a tip on top of). I know that it's likely not that crazy in the UK, but am wondering which vendors (if any) I should be prepared to tip and how much? We're having approximately 150 guests. We're also providing dinner (same dinner as the guests) for the photographer, videographer, celebrant, and DJ.

4 replies

Latest activity by HappyBrownConfetti849, 30 of August of 2017 at 08:15
  • H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I probably wouldn't tip any of them! They charge enough as it is. I live in Scotland.

• M
    Beginner May 2019
    MrsT2019 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

the only people we may be tipping are the waiting staff on the day. Otherwise, I won't be tipping anyone. The amount that they charge in the first place is ridiculous just because it's a 'wedding' and not an 'event', so that seems enough to me!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Unlike in the US, you don't HAVE to tip over here.

It's not expected at all here in the UK, because the vendors charge what they want to earn from providing the service. Like in restaurants here: you aren't expected to make up the waiting staff's wages, because they're paid a fair wage in the first place. You CAN tip if you wish, so if someone goes above and beyond for your big day and you want to give them a little something as a thank you, then go for it.

It's nice to tip someone if they deserve it, but it's not necessary.

Sorry for the mini rant about restaurants, I could go on, but I won't.

• F
    Beginner April 2018
    FilleNouvelle ·
    • Hide content

Haha, trust me, I get you on the restaurant rant. It's absurd that they let that go on over here.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah it really annoys me. "It's not MY job to pay YOUR staff, pay them a fair wage!"

If I'm paying for something I'm expecting the overhead and profit to be included in the price, not to have to pay extra just so the servers can make ends meet. I already paid for the service, pay your staff!

Waiting staff already have to deal with a lot of sh*t to begin with...

But yeah, tipping is optional here, it's more of a thank you for good service than a "I don't get to pay my rent if you don't tip me" scenario.

So, restaurant example again, but the same principle applies to weddings: my OH and I went for a meal and were planning to see a movie after, we let the server know that we had limited time to eat and he suggested we have the starter and mains together to save time so we could make it in time for the movie. Our starter was garlic bread so we just had it as a side rather than a starter and were really happy with how quickly he got them out. We joked about having time for pudding and decided to do just that. Our food came out of the kitchen so fast that night and the server was just so great that we had to tip him. I don't usually remember the waiters very much but I remember that guy and he deserved that tip.

So yeah, if someone goes out of their way to make sure your day is awesome, feel free to tip but there's no pressure to either.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics