Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

minerva
Beginner January 2007

Tipping removal men - do you and how much?

minerva, 10 of August of 2008 at 21:36 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

As per title really. Got them packing up most of a house (quite a bit of furniture staying) and moving it a short distance. Any views?

11 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousRedConfetti76745, 15 of December of 2017 at 08:04
  • NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

When we last moved, there was the boss and threee guys. i gave the guys 50 quid each. it was three full days.

• Katchoo
    Katchoo ·
    • Hide content

We tipped our 3 removal men £20 each when we moved. They moved us from a second floor apartment to a third floor apartment with no lift at either end, so I think they deserved it.

Edited to add - it was one day's work and we did the packing.

• E
    Beginner February 2013
    eastybabe ·
    • Hide content

We moved from a 2 bed (and did the packing) to a larger house so was relatively easy even though they worked like donkeys. We gave them a couple of beers each that we had on the patio when we finished and 20 quid for the 3 of them as they were off to the pub together that evening.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

When we moved we had the same driver / foreman at both ends but different packers at each end (which we hadn't known). We gave the drive £150 and it was up to him what he did with it. Weren't impressed with the unpackers tbh as they did nothing but winge and moan.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

My OH's Dad owns a removals company, and he reckons anything from £5 to £20 per person if they have been brilliant. But they wouldn't expect it.

• minerva
    Beginner January 2007
    minerva ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. It is meant to take 2 days but actually we've decided to leave a fair amount of stuff since we agreed they would do it so I think it probably won't be too bad a job for them - less lugging washing machines and a like. I'll take what you've all said on board and decide what I think when they're done.

We moved house once as a child and I remember my Dad giving the movers a good tip - something unheard of by my parents who don't really "believe" in tipping.

• phooey74
    Beginner June 2004
    phooey74 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't tip our unpackers but they were useless ?

• swampytiggaa
    swampytiggaa ·
    • Hide content

When we moved last time H tipped the blokes £20 each - they had been really good. We didn't move far - but we had a lot of stuff [4 kids] and we didn't have to lift a finger all day.

• Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't thought of tipping removal men.....I shall keep some money spare for this just in case. We have quite a bit of heavy furniture, and if they have to move Mr Mal's toolbox (it's about as tall as me and probably twice as heavy!) then it's going to have to be a big tip.

• C
    Beginner June 2006
    Croyde ·
    • Hide content

Feck ...our removal men were fantastic but it didn't cross my mind to tip them ? I bet my name was mud ....

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

Oh and keep the kettle out / put it somewhere easy to unpack! My OH's Dad seems to have a no tea, no work rule!!

• L
    LuxuriousRedConfetti76745 ·
    • Hide content

Yes

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics