Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Tips and Tricks to saving money please

29 August, 2012 at 07:06 Posted on Planning 0 17

Good Morning Brides and Married Women (Not sure of the term haha)

I am finally back up and running after a crappy year with losing my job and taking 5 months to find another one but my Fiance and I have now decided that our new years resolution for next year will be to book a date! Yes I know it's early to make one but that way we can start looking at venues before the new year.

With that in mind I was wondering if anyone had any great tips on how to get venues a bit cheaper without last minute booking and any other ideas for making the day a bit cheaper. One I'm already looking at is going DIY with the chair covers (Hiring them but setting the up myself). I've managed a cheap DJ as he is a friend and I'm making all my own Invites and Orders of Service etc.

I think the biggest problem will be the centre pieces for my table as I am having a Disney themed table settings and they only thing I can really think of using is Disney Traditions. Any idea for what I could do for this other than Disney Traditions would be great as well (Picture below)

Any help would be appreciated as we are on a relatively tight budget (well compared to my sister anyway =D)

Thanks one and all

Future Mrs Negus

This is a Disney Traditions that I already have. I received it as an anniversary present this year from my fiancé.

17 replies

Latest activity by ESW, 29 August, 2012 at 20:03
  • K
    Beginner September 2012
    KimB1980 ·
    • Hide content

Could you do something that is an element of the films but not the actual figures?

• A rose in a glass dome for beauty & the beast
    • Pumpkin or glass slipper for Cinderella
    • Diving mask with Wallaby Way address in for Nemo (Disney?)
    • Apple for sleeping beauty
    • Playing cards & tea pot for Alice in wonderland

Can you tell I have a 2 year old???

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't use anything of value for a table centrepeice.

If you google Disney table centres there are lots of kids party ideas, especially on ebay. There are disney balloon ones that would work, and cheap, this is one but there were many different ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISNEY-PRINCESS-BALLOON-DECORATION-TABLE-DISPLAY-/280783356611?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&var=&hash=item415ffe02c3

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

In terms of venue, if you can be flexible with the day of the week you get married (midweek as opposed to weekend), and getting married out of peak season (October-April) then venues can normally work out considerably cheaper.

My venue for instance whacks the price up for peak season (theirs is June-August), so we decided end of May, and on a Friday, which has reduced our package down by a massive £3.5k.

HTH

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

We married on a Friday and saved a lot, but people still could have a good drink as it was the weekend. Also at 4pm so we cut out the traditional wedding breakfast and had an extra nice hot buffet. Cake came as dessert too!

we didn't have favours as in the scheme of things they're not important and iv seen a lot get left behind/wasted before. We put nice glass bowls out full of white choc and normal maltesers and kept then refilled. People really appreciated something so simple.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Sorry thought of more... We didn't hire wedding cars. Used my dads gorgeous big shiny civic and he bought wedding ribbon to decorate, then got my step brother to drive it for us. Looked really good.

If you just think about what's important and cut out the rest you really can save a lot. We only had 8 weeks to plan. I decided I didn't want bridesmaids. My friends knew I loved them and still helped out but didn't have to pay £100's for matching dresses.

See if your local college has any students who need to build a photography portfolio, often for free. Or any keen friends who like photography. We had a friend who does it as a hobby, charged us £150 so potentially saved thousands

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

How about sdomething like this

i had to add this as i love this cake

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

Here are some liniks on ebay for some disney traditions -

if you do want the disney traditions go on ebay, not sure of the heights etc but these are some of the ones listed on there but there are plenty more depending on what ones you what and how much you wish to spend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eeyore-snow-globe-great-condition-Disney-Traditions-/230842019414?pt=UK_Collectables_Disneyana_EH&hash=item35bf41ae56 eeyore snow globe current bid is £4.20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tinkerbell-great-condition-Disney-Traditions-/230842028677?pt=UK_Collectables_Disneyana_EH&hash=item35bf41d285 tinkerbell current bid is £3.20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donald-Duck-great-condition-Disney-Traditions-/230842056563?pt=UK_Collectables_Disneyana_EH&hash=item35bf423f73 donald duck current bid is £3.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disney-Traditions-Royal-Romance-Cinderella-New-Boxed-/190719878460?pt=UK_Collectables_Disneyana_EH&hash=item2c67ca653c cinderalla current bid is £15.00

• Disneynut14
    Beginner July 2014
    Disneynut14 ·
    • Hide content

I love looking through this website for inspiration - https://www.magicaldayweddings.com/

It's a blog of weddings that take place at Disney World/Disneyland or at home Disney inspired weddings. You can get lots of ideas from these - my Save the Dates were inspired by something I saw on here (Disney Fastpasses!). I'm sure many things can be recreated quite cheaply with some research and assembling ?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think the easiest way to save money is by considering your timings. i.e. time of year (non peak season cheaper, honeymoons are also cheaper outside of school holidays), day of the week (weekday venue hire, hotel accomodation, registrar fees are usually cheaper) time of ceremony (if you get married later in the afternoon and just have an evening reception you do not need to feed people twice).

• daintydisco
    Beginner October 2013
    daintydisco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow!!! Love those ideas!

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

You mention a problem with getting the kids out of school. Depending on there age (ie no exams) then the school don't normally have a problem with family weddings especially there parents! It's worth asking if you can save a few thousand! and if you have it on a Friday it is only one day.

If you already have a venue in mind then this won't help but don't diss-miss complete packages either these can be good value and takes out alot of the stresses.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I still think they/you should ask the school I only mentioned it as I understand why schools do it, ours does not normally allow, it but they do give approval for weddings - this should only happen once and you will have a marriage certificate to prove it. There is no harm in asking its a honeymoon not a family holiday!

With regards to the DJ etc you can only ask, but remember the reason the package is so cheap is because they will get discounts for multi bookings thoughout the year. We have table flowers included in our pack but my mum is a florist I have had to pay £50 extra for two extra tables, when I could have done the whole lot for about that!

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Sorry fogot to say if it is witnesses kids can they not collect/some one bring them later? My CBM and OH Best man are partners and a firend is bring them later so the can look after us during the prep and ceromony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics