Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Curious October 2022 Warwickshire

Tips for a *tiny* Wedding

Rebecca, 22 of March of 2021 at 18:31 Posted on Planning 1 12
Hello, I’m new here!

We got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and are starting to think that a normal big white wedding might not be for us. There are lots of reasons for this:• his family live abroad and unfortunately most are against our marriage because of differences in culture and religion. It’s really unlikely they would come, so he would only be able to invite friends • my family and social circle is quite small so I probably wouldn’t have many people to invite (45 max) to the ceremony• we’re both very quiet and shy!
Because of this, we think if we tried to do a normal wedding, it would fall flat on its face because there wouldn’t be enough people there to create a nice atmosphere, so we’re now thinking a tiny intimate wedding with only our closest family and friends (20 people max).
We’re both young and we’ve never been married before, so looking for advice really. Have you ever been to a tiny wedding? If you have, was it nice or was it really awkward? Do you have any suggestions to make it feel like a wedding? Or do you think we’re overthinking it and that a normal wedding would be fine?
Any advice or ideas are welcome, I have no idea where to start with wedding planning!
Thanks!

12 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 15:13
  • D
    Dedicated June 2021 Hertfordshire
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, congratulations on your engagement! When are you thinking of getting married?

We too are having a small wedding so felt that an evening disco/party feel wouldn't feel right with fewer people and might end up being awkward so we decided against that. Then I was concerned that not having an evening disco would mean that everything would finish early and we'd be left with a really anti-climactic end to our wedding day where everyone just goes home. So we've planned everything to happen a bit later than usual - our ceremony is at 3pm, followed by a drinks reception with some entertainment, then the wedding breakfast won't even start until 6pm-ish, so will run through til 8.30/9ish with the speeches too. Once everyone has another drink or two in the bar afterwards, and we cut the cake, maybe have a first dance too then this will bring us to the end of the night nicely. Still undecided whether to have any kind of official 'entertainment' after the meal, but not going to worry too much as there won't be lots of time to fill.

• R
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for this - it’s exactly what I needed as I’ve been really doubting myself!

We would like to get married within the next 12 months, ideally November to February as we both like the idea of a winter wedding.
    Your wedding sounds beautiful. Are you having it at a traditional wedding venue or somewhere else? Not really sure what to go for venue-wise at the moment, so any tips you have would be appreciated!
  • D
    Dedicated June 2021 Hertfordshire
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The most important thing is you plan a wedding that makes you and your fiance happy - I'm sure all your guests will have a lovely time no matter what as long as you two have the best day!

A winter wedding sounds lovely - you can make it so cosy and special! I'm sure you are aware of this, but with so many weddings being cancelled/postponed in 2020 and 2021, you may want to get onto securing a date and venue asap, as I believe lots of places are booking up fast!

We're having ours at an old farmhouse with a barn - it's quite modern but looks old and traditional. We wanted somewhere where we could have both the ceremony and reception, and wanted it to be a stunning looking venue which we also wouldn't get lost in having only 30 guests. Our venue did a couple of Covid weddings at the end of last year for 15 guests, so we've seen photos and read reviews on how they were able to adapt the space and feel for smaller numbers.

We haven't actually even seen the venue in person yet Smiley surprise We got engaged in December just gone and want to get married asap (and were happy to do it Covid-style with only 30 guests); we found this venue online that looked beautiful and they luckily had some Sundays in June left available (presumably due to people previously cancelling/postponing) so we were able to snap up a date only 5 months away...the only issue was they weren't open for viewings due to the lockdown. We decided to take a leap of faith and go for it based on photos and Zoom viewings alone. We're finally booked in to see it in mid-April - I can't wait!

Happy to chat and share ideas as a fellow small-wedding bride!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think small weddings are lovely because people get the chance to chat to each other in a more relaxed way than when there are 100s. Go for the size of wedding you want - your friends will love to celebrate with you however big the event is.

• Zoe
    Beginner May 2022 Kent
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    A couple of years back, I went to a wedding where there were only 16 people. It was not awkward at all, in fact it was really lovely and really great to get to chat to everyone there. If you want a small wedding, then go for it! Smiley smile
  • R
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s really reassuring - thank you! Can I be really cheeky and ask if you remember how the day ran (timings and what you did)? I’ve never been to a small wedding so I’m not really sure how to run things!
  • R
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your tips and reassurance by the way, I feel much more confident about this whole thing now ?
  • Zoe
    Beginner May 2022 Kent
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was a late start. This is roughly what it was: Ceremony was 4pm, followed by drinks reception and canapés in the bar area whilst photos were then taken. Wedding breakfast was at 6pm which must have been a good 2-3 hours followed by speeches, cutting the cake and more bubbly! Hope that helps X
  • D
    Missouri
    Dany ·
    • Hide content

I photographed a super small wedding a few years ago. Maybe 20 people total.

They got married in a public garden and had dinner in a private dining room at a restaurant.

Guests stood in the garden.

It was a super short ceremony.

Someone brought a speaker and they had a first dance, they also had cake. Just a regular sit down meal with a few extra drinks. It fit this couple perfectly.

• R
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds perfect! Thank you so much for this - it’s great to see that a small wedding is possible. I am so grateful for this, I can’t wait to get planning ?
  • Katelyn
    Beginner November 2021 Illinois
    Katelyn ·
    • Hide content

This tiny weddings looks so cute! and it's perfect to have tiny wedding due to coronavirus. I’m newly engaged and I’m so excited but stressed because covid but seeing this makes me feel more comfortable knowing that it’s possible To do without having to do so much. And in a small way.

• Paige
    Curious August 2023 Berkshire
    Paige ·
    • Hide content

I have been to a small wedding, it was on a small budget but was honestly perfect for them. They had a little ceremony in the registry office and then we all just headed down the local pub after - they hired out the back room for a small disco and buffet, there couldn't have been more than 20-30 people there but the atmosphere was nice and the couple was happy which was all that mattered! Just go with what will make you and your fiance happy, its your day and everyone else will work around you Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics