Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

Tips to reduce traffic noise?

Irisbride, 20 February, 2013 at 16:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

So we've been in our house since last summer. It's right by a roundabout- albeit a small roundabout but one that has a steady stream of traffic. Before we bought the house, I worried that there might be noise from the road, but we decided it was OK. I've always been aware that we can hear the cars on the road from inside, but recently it has really started to annoy me. It's not always particularly loud but I'm just constantly aware of being able to hear traffic. I think now I've noticed it I've become particularly sensitive to it and am working myself up about it. I find it a particular problem in our bedroom which is at the front of the house. The traffic doesn't wake me up (I don't think), but as soon as I am awake I am aware of it and find it difficult to get back to sleep.

Moving isn't an option as we've only just bought the house and it's the only real negative about it. We have another double room at the back of the house but am reluctant to make that our master bedroom as the one at the front is much bigger and has an en suite, and the idea of not being able to use rooms in my houee because of the traffic annoys me!

Windows are double-glazed and I've read about some thermal curtains you can buy which reduce noise so we're hopefully going to get some of those, but I just wondered if anyone has any other tips on solutions or ways I can get used to it?

I'm surprised it's bothering me so much as in my uni days I lived in a flat right opposite Kings Cross Station and slept through sirens, motorbikes, etc without being bothered.

15 replies

Latest activity by Irisbride, 24 February, 2013 at 15:18
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

How recent is the double glazing?

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I don't know actually- The house was built 10years ago so I assume it was put in then? Can it deteriorate? If it was that, sounds like a costly job!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

It can make a difference sometimes but not always.

do you have a lot of hard surfaces to reflect the sound? Try nets, heavy curtains, carpets, soft furnishings to try and deaden the sound. Could you plant anything outside, erect a fence to try and divert the noise?

alternatively music or earplugs.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Also loft insulation helps. Sound gets in through all sorts of places, not just windows.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Double glazing can fail, even if it is new. The house we currently live in has failed double glazing, so we hear quite a lot of road noise. Might be worth checking it.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like a good suggestion but how would I check? The cynical side of me worries I'd get someone round to look at it and they'd tell me it needed doing even if it didn't to make a load of money?

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we have a big hedge and a tree outside which I think helps in the summer as I don't recall it being so noticeable then. I think because all the leaves have fallen off during winter that's probably why it's so noticeable. We've got a blind up and curtains (not heavy) in the bedroom at the moment but I'm going to get my OH to replace those with a blackout blind and some heavy, thermal curtains!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

We are a few hundred yards from a major A road & apart from the early hours there is a reasonably constant road noise, it doesn't bother me and we have the window open every night and is preferable to the flat where you'd get lorries crashing over a mini roundabout because they were too lazy to drive round it!

Our house is a new build so the double glazing is new & energy efficient, once the windows are shut you can't hear the road at all.

I think you can get triple glazing which might help as well. You might be able to just get the glass replaced and not the frames.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Pretty sure you can get them without white noise - I've had a couple over the years & none had white noise.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our EA told us whe she came to value the house. Then it clicked why we hear so much of the noise on our road. Also you can tell if you get a lot of condensation around the edge of the seals and sometimes ours seems to be between the panes of glass.

I think you can get people out for a quote, with no obligation.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

As a slightly cheaper option we have blinds and thick blackout curtains. Obv don't shut during the day or block everything out but they block a lot out. They have been a godsend for us.

I know it doesn't help now but you do get used to it after some time and then you don't hear it unless you are listening out for it.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am wondering whether it is just you've noticed and now you've noticed you can't help not noticing it. I get like that with the birds in our garden - if I notice them singing it really starts to grate on me.

This really struck a chord with me.

Maybe you need the white noise app to help distract you or soemthign along those lines - as I think the other options are going to end up being costly and might not make a difference when it is you noticing it that is th eproblem.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this- when I wake up now, it's the first thing I notice and think of. It wasn't as much a problem before, so I think like you say, I've made myself hypersensitive to it.

I swapped sides of the bed with my OH last week (as I was closest to the window) and that seems to have helped a bit. I'm going to try the blackout blind and some heavy curtains (as ours are really light and flimsy) as it seems a reasonable cost option, but other than that I think it will be a case of just getting used to it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics