Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

'Tit for Tat' Wedding Invites?

Flowmojo, 28 February, 2011 at 14:46 Posted on Planning 0 29

Have any of you, or would any of you, you feel inclinced to invite someone to your wedding merely on the basis that they invited you to theirs?!

I ask as i nipped home at lunch and lying on the mat is an invite to a wedding for July...for the whole day. Its the wedding of some girl who OH knew from growing up and lived next door to for most of his life.her paretns still live next door to OH. hes never really been friends with her, his little sister has, and when ia sked if he'd want to invite her and her husband he was like 'no ive got people i want to invite to my wedding who i speak to'!

So, she knows were getting married next year, is it the 'done thing' to reciprocate the invitige and when the time comes, invite them to ours?!

I dont intend to, am i going to look like a mardy bum sour faced cow bag?

29 replies

Latest activity by Arquard, 1 March, 2011 at 16:52
  • Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You won't but your H2B might! ?

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I dont know if there is a proper etiquette on this, but imagine its polite to ask them, if they asked you. It would however depend on budget and if you actually get on with her or she will know anyone other your OH's sister. I am not inviting a few people on principal, even though I was invited to theirs. I sent money with the RSVP as coudlnt go, & despite several emails to check she got it, never heard a thing! Really rude I thought so they are off my list of invites.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ive met her properly once, il always say hi in passing if i see her but never stop to chat....neither does OH really. Ohhhh bums :/

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

There are people I am not inviting even though I went to their weddings. These wedding were a few years ago though, so it's a bit easier not to as we've lost touch. Difficult one really.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what ettiqute says but I felt I had to invite an ex colleague to our wedding in Aug '11 who invited us to theirs in Aug '10. Slightly annoyed as we only have all day invites and we were only her evening guest.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have bothered Kayl, and just would have explained that it was a small gathering etc, hence no evening invites.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I did think that, but she will see the pics online and know I am lying... And as much as I don't count her as a close friend, she is still a friend if I needed her IYSWIM?

She is also very good friends with one of my BMs.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

If I were you, I would decline her invite. Then you won't feel bad about not inviting her to yours. Don't invite her just for the sake of it!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Kayl, if you aren't having evening guests and you were only an evening guests then you should not feel compelled to invite them yours. Just say that you both have big families and you haven't got space. That covers having a big wedding yet not inviting.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I personally would feel obliged to ask them.....

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

The title of this thread conjured up all sorts of images for me!! ?

Regards your OP though, I wouldn't. I would probably decline theirs as well. We had an invite to some old family friend's last year and couldn't go and tbh I don't think we've even thought about inviting them at all!

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    monkey_nut ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't feel like I had to invite someone just because I was invited to their wedding. I think budget and numbers have a lot to do with it... we're only having 45 close family & friends so we're only inviting people we really really want to. Some people on the other hand can invite 200 people because they want a big do and have the budget for that size of wedding.

I certainly wouldn't be offended if someone on my guest list didn't invite me to their wedding, I would assume they'll invite who they want based on the size of their wedding/budget and not be worried if that doesn't include me.

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh Flow Im in a similar situation. Last year a girl who Im not that close to at work invited me and OH to their wedding for the whole day which we attended and I might add was the only one invited from work!

Me and OH are getting married next year but havent put her and OH down on the day invites - only the evening. This is mainly because of budget - we havent even got all our cousins etc coming as there is too many of them for the day, also another reason is I have 5 friends I am very close to at work but if i invite them and their partners there is another 10 people again which we cant afford. Also I am alot closer to the 5 girls that the ones whos wedding was last year so if I had a choice Id have them over her. I just hope shes not dissappointed that shes not invited to the day - only the evening but I have a feeling shes expecting a day invite as we were invited to hers :/

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Tricky one…..it all depends on what type of wedding you are having. We are not having a separate day do or evening do and only 80 guests in total so there is no room to add on extra people that neither of us really know, whereas if you are having a separate evening do then doing that might be easier?

To be honest I have become pretty ruthless about the guest list (and this is even before the invites have gone out!) and if someone that we knew vaguely invited us to their wedding I wouldn’t feel obliged to invite them to ours, but saying that, if we didn’t really know them, I probably wouldn’t be that interested in actually going to their wedding either!

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I would politely decline that I had plans that day. Wish them well and then not invite them back lol

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

How annoying! Personally, as long as numbers allow it, if it were me I would have them as my day guests.

Have you spoken to OH's parents about it, I just think it may be embarrassing for them if an invite is not "reciprocated" to this couple and they still live next door to the bride's parents.

If you decide you def don't want to have them as day guests to yours, then as others have suggested, I would refuse their invitation, buy a them a half decent present and hope it all goes away before your invites are sent out!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I would also decline their invite and then you don't have to invite them either.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We have a few people that we considered acquaintances but had invitations too their whole wedding! We just invited them to the evening do. It's your OH that will take the flack not you though!

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

I'm another that would decline their invite, then wouldnt invite them to mine

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content

Hey up mardy bum face! lol

Id be inclined not to go to theirs or make up an excuse that will only allow you to attend the evening.

Either way I certainly wouldnt invite her all day to yours.

Will you be moving in with OH when you get married or finding another place together? If your both moving to a new place place then I wouldnt worry too much about it as your not really going to see her or her parents much again I would imagine.

And then you could invite me!!!!!

xxx

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

As others have said I would decline their invite and therfore not feel obliged to invite them to yours. Either that or i'd invite them just to my evening do.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

wtf!? i live with OH u silly mare!! her parents live next door to OH parents, i see where you got confused there lol ?

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Oooooppppssss!!

You know I thought you lived with your OH!! But just thought I was wrong which I usually am!!

But you do waffle on Flow!! lol?

Right got to stop drinking Rose when OH is away!!?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

and start drinking when YOUR away in Brum!

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Why is it terrible and childish ? I actually think it would be rude to accept and not invite them back. If you don't accept they have the opportunity to invite someone else who would reciprocate. Given the tentative connection they may be inviting them at the wishes of the parents anyway.

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For sure!! Just give me the bottle and a straw!! Hic

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

OT but just realise only 7 months to our wedding as I read that back lol !

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I'd probably just cave and invite them tbh. That said, I am a total wuss about refusing to invite people and so have at least a dozen people on my guest list that I've never even met :-S

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics