Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

miss_winter14
Beginner February 2014

titanium rings *WARNING*

miss_winter14, 5 of August of 2014 at 16:13 Posted on Planning 0 7

My friend wears a titanium ring on his left hand all the time. his niece gave it to him and it looks similar to some of these funky mens wedding rings.

well over the weekend something bit him. some kind of midge or something. about an hour later his hand was twice the normal size! and the ring, stuck on his finger, was cutting off the blood.

off to the hospital he popped whereupon they informed him the ring would have to be cut off. he was upset of course but needs must. HOWEVER the machines REALLY struggled because of how tough titanium is!!! if he'd gone to the hospital any later, it would have been the finger coming off, not the ring. but if the ring had been gold, he'd have been ok.

SO the point to my post, if you or your partner are having a titanium ring and ANYTHING happens to your hand- a bite, a twist, any injury which may result in swelling- take your ring off ASAP because even if you head to a hospital immediately, with titanium being so tough, by the time the ring is off, it still might be too late!!!

i'd genuinely never thought of this til it happened to my friend. so glad now that mr winter had a gold ring!!!

7 replies

Latest activity by LittleSnowflake, 5 of August of 2014 at 23:18
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ugh, my H2B has gone for a titanium ring. Thanks for the heads up.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Oh god your poor friend! Hope his hand has returned to normal now?!

I worry for OH wearing his ring when he gets it as he often gets hurt at work catching himself on things in the wear house even though he's meant to be office based! I worry his ring may get cought on one of the endless belts as it's happened before! He made sure his ring was easy enough to get off in case of an emergency and luckily it's not too thick to cut off!

Not log ago I was at MILS flat, it's one of them house splits and she has the upstairs flat, I went to the bathroom right next to the open stair case, as I shut the door my ER got cought on the door handle as it had a little bit of decoration that sticks up rigt on the end, I starte walking to the living room passed the stairs as I was shutting the door and as my had got yanked back I slipped on a rug and almost fell down the stairs... I was only there to get ready for a funeral... Felt like it could of been my own!

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mellypoos ·
    • Hide content

Also remind them to take any rings (of any metal) off during sports, a girl at works partner wa 'de-gloved' as a result of a ring vs football incident Smiley sad

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yikes, I just looked up "degloved"... no thanks!! Thankfully I'm paranoid and already take my ring off whenever there's a hint it might get damanged or lost, so should also protect me.

I'd also add to the advice above that it's worth considering a ring a half size above what you "normally" wear - it's a little bit of extra breathing room for hot days, and the half size shouldn't be too much that it slips off your finger on a normal day!

And here's the magic dental floss trick for a stuck ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSq_7e6DJMg

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

First aid 101: always remove jewellery asap!

my fella has gone for titanium for exactly that reason, its tough! He'd destroy a gold one:-)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Normal grade titanium should present absolutely zero problem to regular jewellery-cutting instruments, or even most home tools. The only deviation to the normal procedure is to make two cuts on opposite sides, because titanium doesn't bend like gold/etc so can't be prised open from a single cut.

Aerospace titanium is tougher and should maybe be avoided. But regular titanium is fine, perhaps the hospital didn't carry good enough basic tools?

I have a tungsten carbide ring. Apparently, removal would require a good crack in a vice (or a sharp tap with a hammer).

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Also, you'd be glad of the harder metals if you receive a blunt blow to your hand. Gold/silver/platinum will deform and dig in. Smiley smile

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just looked up de-gloved .. Yuk!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics