Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2020

To elope or not to elope

LuxuriousYellowCakes78531, 18 of May of 2018 at 08:07 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2

I just wanted some different opinions on eloping. Myself and my partner have actually already booked s venue in the UK, but we’re having second thoughts and thinking about just going abroad just us two and getting married. The guest list in the UK is getting out of control and so is the spending. What are people’s thoughts and opinions about eloping and where would you recommend to get married abroad?

Thank you

x

2 replies

Latest activity by cyn_cc, 18 of June of 2018 at 13:01
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I would have loved to elope - for those reasons as well as better weather!

However, I want my grandparents there, and they wouldn't be able to travel, plus my fiance has friends that he wants there but wouldn't be able to afford it, so we've stuck with a UK wedding. So think about who you want there and if they can make it.

I've been to a couple of weddings abroad for friends, one in Cuba, and one in Italy, and they were awesome! But they were expensive for a guest!

If you are happy with it just being you and your partner, or maybe with a couple of close friends, then fab, but do try and work out whether or not you'll regret not having other people there celebrating with you on the day.

Will you be having a big party for everyone when you get back? That will still have costs associated with it too.

Additionally, if you've already started paying deposits, consider whether you will get anything back - there's a high chance you will lose any money you've already paid.

Finally, try and work out, is getting married abroad your dream, or is it simply a kneejerk reaction to the current stress of planning and worry over money? Sometimes I get a bit like 'screw it, lets just elope' myself, I would imagine every couple does, but eloping could still be pricey and stressful (as you're organising everything from a different country, with people who maybe don't speak the same language!).

I hope this helps, or maybe it's just given you more things to think about.. apologies if so!

At the end of the day, whatever you decide will be worth it - you get to spend the rest of your life with the person you love, so just do what you think will make you the most happy! Good luck! X

• L
    Beginner May 2024 North Yorkshire
    Luxuriousgreenflowers72418 ·
    • Hide content

I’m having the same problem, I’m not sure if I will regret eloping. I like the idea of it being just me and my OH as I’m quite a private person and I think it would be such a special and romantic thing to do but then I worry I will regret/ miss out on the wedding/ bridal experience and regret not having family there.

We got engaged in New York and part of me things it would be amazing to go back and get married there but I’m just unsure.

• C
    Beginner May 2018
    cyn_cc ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I got married in St Lucia this may, just the two of us and I couldnt be happier about the decision [yet i would probably think twice before booking with anyone] We came back to UK and hosted a wedding BBQ with close friends and family, wwe also arranged that the wedding video is shown to our guests so felt like we had the best of both worlds.

Personally, we had some problems with Virgin Holidays and their wedding team from the start or booking to post booking, [I woudnt book with them again] the hotel looked after us on the day and we had a lovely ceremony at a gazebo. After that we arranged a local photographer to take photos of us and take around St Lucia which was the best part of the experience. Must say we also paid £500 to the hotel to record the video [I COULDNT BELIEVE IT] which in the end was a 10 minute wedding video. I am grateful that it was really cute and a lovely memory yet WAY TOO PRICEY! In the evening we just had dinner with cake being served and few drinks.

My dad committed suicide so I knew having a traditional wedding was not gonna be possible due to all the traditions - father walking down the aisle, father daughter first dance and i really wanted it to be a special day so the only option was just the two of us. I would definitely do it again abroad.

I think you should think about whats important to you... whether you feed 50 guests with three course meal or give yourself and your husband a holiday of lifetime Smiley winking)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics