Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

waddle_thepenguin
Beginner June 2010

To fake tan or not to fake tan...

waddle_thepenguin, 4 of March of 2010 at 22:30 Posted on Planning 0 20

Something else occurred to me along the beauty route.

I tend to wear a lot of strappy tops in the summertime (when we actually get sunshine) and I've always been left with slight tan lines on my shoulders.

My wedding dress is strapless, but I am loathed to try a tfake tan just in case it goes horrible wrong.

What would you do?

20 replies

Latest activity by smccallum, 18 of August of 2014 at 21:38
  • Foddette
    Beginner March 2010
    Foddette ·
    • Hide content

My main worry about fake tanning was it coming off on the dress. That & my skin can be quite dry in places & the tanning stuff can apparently stick heavily to dry skin.

Hope that helps.

• MrsWinwood2B
    Beginner April 2010
    MrsWinwood2B ·
    • Hide content

I've been umming and ahhing about this too. I never usually fake tan, but feel really washed out at this time of year. I don't want to use sunbeds, but I can't decide between going pale and interesting or risking the fake tan....

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

This is what I am planning to do this summer up till the wedding, and I plan to get out in the sun as much as poss. I thought about fake tan, but I am worried about rubbing off on dress. I don't like sunbeds.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the buy lots of strapless tops groups! I've been looking for some online! I'm not wearing straps until after the wedding! I will give my bridesmaids this order advise too.

• emsa1
    Beginner May 2011
    emsa1 ·
    • Hide content

My best friend only wore strapless tops for an entire summer and holiday before her wedding, she refused to pack anything else in her suitcase so as to avoid tanlines!!

but if you do decide to fake it there are some really good ones on the market, and its easy to do yourself just have a practice run before hand (and either a willing friend/H2B or buy a back applicator to do your back (you can get them from boots or ebay)

my favourite brand at the moment is Xen-Tan which you can buy online and if you don't want to go for the darker lotion the gradual ones (Luxe in particular) is fantastic.

St Tropez is also a classic for a reason.

I wouldn't recommend the cheaper supermarket brands personally for your wedding as they can streak.

As for the coming off on clothes, if its a decent brand it won't. I've never had this problem once it's dried of course. I usually apply the night before a big night out, sleep in it then shower off the residue the next morning.

also remember to shave legs, exfoliate and moisturise the day before applying too!

hope this helps xx

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*nods head* also avoid the ones that build up gradually, because unless you are really good, then dry patches will get absorbed faster/exfoliated more, so you will get shading...not a good look.

I have a big problem in that I dont moisturise enough, so while the fake tan looks ace for about 4 days, after ive showered a few times it tends to go scaly (thats probably not the right word) But after the wedding it doesnt matter that much, and i'll probably moisturise more, knowing that i'll get scaly if I dont!!

• M
    MsCheerful ·
    • Hide content

I would also recommend xen-tan, its a really natural colour but without the fake tan smell. I would do a trial first and see if you like it , if so then put it on a couple of days before your wedding

x

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is soon (so I don't have the summer to tan - but I don't tan anyway!). I'm wearing a bolero anyway so not much of my skin will show. I never tan naturally - I spent three months in the South Pacific and had about three freckles to show for it. I was considering fake tanning but H2B says it makes me "smell like biscuits". So pale and interesting it is.

If I were you, I'd do the strapless top thing - but just make sure they're low enough (oo-er) so you don't have an unexpected tan mark on your back or front.

• waddle_thepenguin
    Beginner June 2010
    waddle_thepenguin ·
    • Hide content

I've never exfoliated in my life, so I reckon I'm going with the strapless tops plan - which means I'll have to buy some. Smiley smile

Shopping trip this weekend!

• emsa1
    Beginner May 2011
    emsa1 ·
    • Hide content

i totally wholeheartedly agree with all you've said esp re sunbeds. don't use them!

i also use st tropez regularly although apply it myself rather than salon but it is fantastic.

• L
    Beginner April 2010
    loxtonm ·
    • Hide content

I have bought Jiffy Tan from Benefit. You just put it on a few hours before you are putting on your dress. I am like you and have strap marks and this has really helped cover them up. The jiffy tan then comes off after a good wash in the shower.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

This thread from a few weeks back might help https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/p/153302/1559794.aspx

San Tropez all the way!!

• sameeraraaa
    Beginner November 2010
    sameeraraaa ·
    • Hide content

Am just going to go on the sunbeds because am not going on holiday anywhere before my wedding and as my wedding is in november there wont be any sun here and i dont think spray tans or fake tans look that nice so just using teh sunbeds this once! x

• S
    Sara92j ·
    • Hide content

My BFs wedding is in November in Glasgow. We are definitely going to fake tan it! As a peely wally myself I can recommend the lanaform self tanning wipes. Unfortunately I got them in Germany last year and cannot find them anywhere in Glasgow. If anyone comes across the lanaform ones anywhere send me a PM.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I had a spray tan on Saturday. Bathed yesterday and am wearing. White top today and still getting orange patches undert arms on the top. I was going to go for another 2 days before the wedding but not going to bother. The beautician toldenif I care for this tan and don't scrub in the bath it should last 10 days so I'm thinking if I look after it really well it may last until the 30th I normally have tan lines ( due to fake tan now not visable ) but not being so close to the wedding their the last thing on my mind!

• smccallum
    Beginner May 2015
    smccallum ·
    • Hide content

I had a spray tan on Friday and preferred how I looked on the second day after two showers! Wish I had though to wear a white top to see if there were any marks, didn't see any on my other clothes or on my bed linen! Going to try and have another spray tan later in the year and see how I feel again.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics