Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Victoria
Beginner December 2024 Somerset

To invite or not to invite?

Victoria, 5 of November of 2023 at 09:46 Posted on Planning 0 2
Ok, I have 3 half siblings from my dad’s first marriage who are somewhat older than me and have, over the years, had varying levels of keeping in touch.

Sister 1: very good at keeping in touch. We visit a few times a year. Christmas/birthday cards plus texts etc. DEFINITELY INVITED
Sister 2: didn’t see her for 15 years, added each other on Facebook and have kept in touch ever since but only birthday/Christmas cards and the odd text message. She lives in Spain with her family. UNSURE WHETHER TO INVITE.
Brother: The worst at keeping in touch. Last saw him 30 years ago at his own wedding when I was 13. Christmas cards only. I don’t really feel like I even know him and if I invited him it would purely be out of familial ‘duty’. NO IDEA.
These 3 are all reasonably close with each other and it feels weird inviting 1 and not the other 2.
Can anyone have an opinion?

2 replies

Latest activity by Victoria, 5 of November of 2023 at 19:09
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The general rule is to invite in 'groups', so, for example, if you invite one cousin, then you invite them all. However, I think you can get away with it when there is such a huge gap between the contact you have with one sibling and the contact you have with the other two.

It's a bit more problematic if you invite sibling 2 but not sibling 3 as there is not such a big gap in the kind of contact you have with them. There isn't a huge amount of difference between birthday/Christmas cards + an occasional text and Christmas cards only. So in your place, I would probably invite either just sibling 1 or all three. But it really is up to you - you can invite whoever you want to, you just need to be prepared for possible fallout!

If you are unsure and you are close to sibling 1, why not ask her what she thinks?

I don't have siblings, but I do have uncles and aunts. I invited 2 aunts and one uncle whom I see multiple times a year - with the others, my only contact is the annual Christmas card and I hadn't seen any of them for a good 5 years before the wedding. I still had complaints from one aunt that she was deeply hurt because I hadn't invited her, but since she'd turned down invitations to meet my OH before we got married, I didn't feel too guilty. (We didn't want anyone at the wedding whom we didn't both know)

• Victoria
    Beginner December 2024 Somerset
    Victoria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I’m inclined to agree with all that. I think it’s definitely worth consulting with sister 1 and see what she thinks. Thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics