Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2009

To Lock or Unlock Suitcases on Flight?

claireac, 10 June, 2009 at 15:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

Hi,

Flying to the Dominican Republic on honeymoon on Monday and was wondering if you lock your suitcases or not??

I've seen both sides of the arguement, but what do you do?

I have lost the key to one of the cases - ooops.........

Thanks!

15 replies

Latest activity by Sunny Day, 10 June, 2009 at 17:25
  • claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

I know when you fly to US you can get a lock that only customs can open if they need to. Is that the sane for Dom Rep?

• C
    Beginner June 2009
    claireac ·
    • Hide content

I have heard about the US type lock, but don't think it's applicable to Dom Rep unfortunately. Would solve all my probs!

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

I usually lock mine, but i'm sure that i read somewhere that you're supposed to leave them open so that customs can check them if they need to.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

Last time I flew to the caribbean they ripped my case to shreds because it was locked so now I don't bother locking it ever.

• English Girl in Bangkok
    Beginner August 2008
    English Girl in Bangkok ·
    • Hide content

My friend used to be a customs' officer and scared me with some of the stories she told me. I never used to lock my case but she explained that even though locks can be tampered with, at least if something is smuggled in you have half a leg to stand on by showing that you had your case locked, rather than no legs at all by leaving it unlocked.

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

We use cable ties, easy for customs to open if they need to but usually enough to deter the casual observer.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I always lock them, mainly cause i'm worried i've over-packed and my stuff will fall out if I don't ?

When we went to Las Vegas and NY on our honeymoon I locked them and the security just got me to unlock them and then let me lock them again.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a really good idea! We have loads of cable ties too.

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just make sure you take spares for the way back, oh and have access to something that can cut the tie! I must credit my rather smart MIL for this idea.

• C
    Beginner June 2009
    claireac ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like a great idea! How do you do it? So that they go all the way round the case?

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

Great idea for the cable ties, will be giving this a go when we go away in a couple of weeks. I will try and remember the spares for the trip home too.

I suppose you just tie them through the pull bits on the zips?

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

I always lock my suitcase, but am loving the cable tie idea. Although where would I put the pen knife needed to cut through them at the other end - dangerous weapon in hand luggage alert?! ?

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

You can either put the tie through the holes for the lock (if it will fit) or through the zip pulls (there is usually a hole in them somewhere). I actually dont remember if my H has the penknife in his pocket or not or how we opened the cases if not oops, it might have been scissors we asked for at the reception.

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content

Cable ties are the easiest thing to use, and a simple pair of scissors just break them!

• S
    Beginner November 2006
    Sunny Day ·
    • Hide content

Lock them somehow, either locks or cable ties (Fab idea!)

We have just come back from holiday and didnt lock the case and had 40 euros worth of cigeraettes stolen, my h was not best pleased :-( NOt sure where it happened but probably the spanish bag handlers, argh!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics