Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

To neuteur or not to neuteur?

pandorasbox, 25 November, 2011 at 09:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 28

Boy kitten Charlie will def be done. But what to do about the girl?

Conflicting opinion says let her have a litter, opposites say kinder to never let her have any.

What is the best thing for her? After we had our old cat done she went from a friendly loving animal to a vicious nightmare beast. Really don't want to see that happen to our little Layla. I don't mind putting the work in to raise the babies and either keep them or find homes for them if it is the best thing for her.

Anyone know what the correct way is on this? Vet says it is personal preference.

28 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 25 November, 2011 at 17:33
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Ours improved after being neutered, she was little cowbag before having her done!!

I was always advised to have them neutered as they can get some sort of specific infection/disease if not! It was Mr F who made the final decision, I couldnt, all i kept saying to him was 'would you have me neutered and stop me having babies?' ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I would neuteur.

There are enough little kitties out there looking for homes. She will drive you crazy when she comes into season and is howling to go out. And you don't know who she could mate with, she could pick up all sorts of diseases.

Both of my girls have been done without having a litter and it hasn't changed them at all.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I would neuteur too.

I've just this week made the decision to neuteur my (female) dog and I'm worried about her personality changing too, so I know how you feel.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

exactly this!

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

According to my vet its kinder to neuter them without ever having a litter. Have you ever heard a female cat when shes in season? It is the most distressing sound ive ever heard!!! I got both mine done as soon as they were old enough.

And agree with the others, there are far too many kittens/cats already, the cat charities simply cannot cope with it.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. It was horrible listening to her.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely neuter. We got ours done before they had a litter and they were absolutely fine, nothing changed at all.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes and the only thing that stops it is jiggy jiggy or neutering. Our cats were in season every 10 days at one point, lasting about 4 or 5. It drove us all crazy as its non stop all night too, and theyre so affectionate and amorous, wouldnt leave us alone at all!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, quite embarassing if you have a visitor.

One of ours used to parade herself in the window where a tom cat used to lurk, like she was in Amsterdam ?

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This made me laugh so much!!!! Exactly how ours behaved too.....durty kitties!!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Unless you KNOW you could raise all the kittens or that you have loving, responsible homes already lined up for them, don't let her have a litter. My lady cat got upduffed before we got round to having her done and we found a home for one kitten but the other two had to stay with us (which wouldn't have been our first choice although I love them to pieces). We saved up to have her done when the kittens were six weeks old, only to then find she was already pregnant again! God only knows how and when she managed to get out and shag another moggy, but at that point we had to ask the RSPCA to help rehome her because it just wasn't fair on her. They recommended a lovely home for her and I had to say bye to her. That broke my heart but it was so much better for her.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Even then I would advise against it. If there is someone who says they will have the kitten when it arrives, that person could have another kitten which is already here instead.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

*THREAD DERAIL*

Should I get my dog done? He is 6 months old now.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unless you are planning to breed him then I don't see why you wouldn't. I need to get Bubba done but want to do it when I have some time off work so that he's not on his own at all while recovering.

B is loopy so I'm hoping it may calm him down.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Our dog is loopy but he's a Boxer so I doubt having his nuts chopped off will calm down much!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

*THREAD RE-RAIL* (is that even a thing?)

I definitely don't want Layla to be miserable in heat, or have a litter and then not ever have more, and obviously I know how hard it can be to find homes. Our local shelter is a disaster and would never put them in there. I do know many people who wants cats, but saying they do and then actually taking them on is a whole different thing.

I just want to make sure I do the right thing this time. I always regretted having the first cat done because she just altered so drastically afterwards and we lost our loving friendly pet. I would hate that to happen again as she is so lovely right now. Fret fret...

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll be getting Shea done when he starts cocking his leg (apparently thats when you know they are ready) as it reduces the risk of some kinds of cancers

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't know this. I was so proud of Bubba when he cocked his leg up a month or so ago ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Pandorasbox - I know you're worried about how it may change your kitty but honestly I think the pros far outweigh the cons. When in season they are desperate to get out, and if they do escape who knows what kind of trouble they could get into. There's also the health risks if she doesn't have the op.

Worst case scenario if she has the op is that it could affect her personailty, but at least she would be healthy.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Harley has cocked his leg a couple of times a couple of weeks ago but not since. I'll wait until then. Cheers for the head's up as I didnt know that.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I've had 5 lady cats in my lifetime and never found that having them spayed has changed their personality. Generally I've always found lady cats to be less cuddly and affectionate than boys anyway (with the exception of one, but she was a rescue cat and adopted me!) but that hasn't changed before and after being done.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is very true. I would rather her be healthy and living safely even if she does turn into a meanie! And I definitely don't want to add more to the list of sad little kittens wanting homes.

Boy is booked in for his in a few weeks so at least that's an immediate worry of pregnancy sorted. He has tried to hump her a few times that we have seen, god knows what they are up to when we are at work.

Wonder if it is better to get them done at the same time? I am worried he will be recovering and she will be leaping about all playful. If they were both recovering at the same time it might be better...hmm...

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

The girl will be need longer to recover than the boy, my Mikey was back to normal almost straight away whereas the girls took a while. One of the buggers managed to pull her stitches out and had a gaping hole!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no! I hope she was ok.

Maybe we should get her done a few weeks before we have him done, and just keep him away from her as much as possible. I wanted them doing when I am off around Christmas so I can keep an eye on them when they are first healing. She is a bit too underweight I think. My first cat had a cone thing on for a few weeks after spaying and seemed to heal fairly fast, but she had no other cats to bounce around with.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Yes she was fine, just cost me an extra £150 at the vets the lttle monkey!

I would get the girl done first then so you can keep an eye on her when you're off. Bless her, she'll be much happier in the long run.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics