Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2021 Merseyside

To not wear high heels on my wedding day

Rebecca, 6 of May of 2021 at 14:36 Posted on Planning 1 13
I’m torn whether or not to wear heels on my wedding day, without heels me and my partner are the same height and I really don’t want to be taller than him in our wedding pictures or when I’m standing next to him. Does anyone know where I could get some elegant flats to wear or am I being silly not wanting high heels?

13 replies

Latest activity by Ebony, 9 of May of 2021 at 00:18
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    There are some beautiful flats across the various bridal ranges -Harriet Wilde, Charlotte mills and Emmy London are my faves (they are pricey though c£150). I’m sure there will be lovely flats on the high street too.

If you wear heels comfortably with your partner (ie you don’t mind him being shorter than you) usually then I wouldn’t see how your wedding day would be different. Though your feet will probably thank you for wearing flats after a night of dancing!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Not silly at all for not wanting heels.

I would say 80% of my brides who have low or no heels do so for exactly the same reason as you.

Its funny - in the rare occasions that I have not already met the groom and I am at the brides prep I ask "are you taller than - Adam/ Paul" and the bride says "how did you know that Bill" and I reply " I just saw your flat shoes" Smiley laugh

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I never wear heels, so definitely team flat here! I found a pair of sandals from a high street store that worked fine, were much cheaper than wedding shoes, were comfortable and that I can wear again. (And sorry to ruin your theory Bill, but I'd still be shorter than my OH even wearing heels!)

Having said that, if you normally wear heels when you are out with your fiance, I don't see why you need to be different on your wedding day. And it shouldn't really matter who looks taller anyway. I have a couple of friends who are taller than their husbands, so short of sticking the groom on a box, there was no way to avoid him looking shorter in photos - because he was!

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    To not wear high heels on my wedding day 1
    To not wear high heels on my wedding day 2

To not wear high heels on my wedding day 3

I am wearing these for the evening do. Not for height issues but more comfort for dancing. Could be an idea??
  • R
    Beginner August 2021 Merseyside
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    @yorkshirelass where did you get them 😍
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Rebecca

They are from a website called Wedding Converse. They have lots of choice of different trainers and customise the shoes for you, not particularly cheap but I decided to get the white all star converse as I will wear them on honeymoon and possibly afterwards in normal life lol with different laces so I didn’t go crazy with writing on them although you can get your married name, Bride etc printed on them . They sent me two pairs of laces as I requested white satin ribbons and they put the blue ribbon ones in for free. I will prob use the white ribbon ones on the day and I intend to wear the shoes for the evening dancing. Great service from the website although it was a month leadtime but delivered when they said they would!
  • S
    Dedicated March 2022 Hampshire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    I am exactly the same, I think I’ll go with flats or a low heel, my fiancé is quite a bit taller than me but for comfort id rather enjoy the day than worry about my feet hurting
  • J
    Beginner September 2022 West Sussex
    Jen ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to wear flats. I'm 5ft11 and my fiancé is 6ft1, so I don't want to be taller than him in photos. I'm tall enough as it is (plus the beams in the bar at our venue are quite low, haha). Flats will also be more comfortable and nobody will really see them under your dress anyway. I can't say I have ever noticed a brides shoes before x

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It wasn't so much of a theory it was just my personal observations and generally speaking but based on my personal experience during more than 1,000 weddings over 30 years.

Out of those that make an active choice not to wear heels I have seen that most do so because they do not want to be taller than their groom - at least on the day. Many times I have been asked what can I do as a photographer so that the grooms height doesn't look quite so obvious in the photos. I usually reply along the lines of that its who you are and should be embraced, but I also reassure them that there are simple "soft" techniques that I can apply to balance the height difference without the need of a box for the groom.

The others that choose not to wear them do so because they either - never do or because they want to be comfortable or because they feel that they are already very tall.

And 90% of the time they are going covered by the dress.

• R
    Beginner September 2021 South East London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

I'm also planning to wear flats. The main reason is that I never wear them normally so wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them all day, plus when ever I've gone to a wedding and worn flats I've had a much better time so figured the same would apply to my own wedding!

I briefly considered wearing some just for the ceremony, but my partner and I are the same height and it would seem weird being taller than him while we say our vows etc.

Rachel Simpson has some beautiful flat shoe designs so I've ordered some to try.

• Maria
    Savvy December 2021 South East London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    I’m nowhere near taller than my OH however I will be having a cheaper pair of heels for the ceremony and photos and I have a custom paid of converse for the evening to dance and relax in.

I would say wear whatever you are comfortable wearing. If you don’t want to be taller than him in photos then wear flats. If your dress is long nobody will see anyway haha
  • ExpensivePinkDiamonds53995
    Beginner August 2021
    ExpensivePinkDiamonds53995 ·
    • Hide content
    I was in the same position as you - but.. I have decided to go for flats. I’d rather be comfortable and not be towering over my partner. I found these beauties in next - super comfy!!To not wear high heels on my wedding day 4

• E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    Asos and Dune have a wedding collection with flat shoes which are reasonably priced.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics