Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2014

To those getting married in a hot country...

BigRedCandle, 22 October, 2011 at 18:34 Posted on Planning 0 9

... advice please! My best friend will be getting married in Vegas and we're trying to work out which kind of dress she should go for. She'll be getting married in a hotel which will probably be air conditioned, but then if she goes outside she doesnt want to melt.

Is anyone getting married in a hot country and if so, what kind of dress did you go for - material etc

Thank you in advance!

9 replies

Latest activity by Lusitana, 24 October, 2011 at 12:10
  • Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Barbados and wanted a dress that's light and floaty and that wouldn't make me too hot. In the end I opted for this "Ireland" dress from Maggie Sottero:

I also have this dress for the second day of our celebrations:

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

What time of the year is the wedding? Vegas can be very mild during the day for autumn and winter months, and is quite cold in the evening. I remember one trip there in late August, and it was very chilly in the evening even then. Chilly by my standards that is, lol.

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married in cyprus in june 2012, ive gone for this one, despite its size its very light and airy. I tried alot of satin dresses on but they were very heavy and made me sweat in the shops ? let alone any kind of heat. x

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

Awesome thanks ladies! it'll be July at 4pm, hopefully it will have cooled down a bit by then?

• ClareMarie85
    Beginner March 2012
    ClareMarie85 ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in Cuba and i have not picked a destination dress so i'm gonna be boiling but its worth it lol!

I'm too scared to post a link (OH knows i go on here a lot lol!) incase he sees it!

Mrs J 2b where did you get this dress from? Its lovely and i'm looking for something just like that to change into later on in the day when i'm too hot!

I also have this dress for the second day of our celebrations:

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Mine's a Blue by Enzoani chiffon dress, but with underskirts, so not as cool as the single layer dresses, but a bit more "weddingy" and cooler than the satin type fabrics. It will be stupidly hot, but we're marrying at sunset so it should have started cooling off a bit. I would have had a simpler dress, but I wanted something that would look lovely for a UK reception as well:

• Frugal Splurger
    Beginner September 2011
    Frugal Splurger ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I got married in Vegas on 4th Sept in an outside location and yeah it was hot but we all did ok! Its a dry heat so it makes it more bearable and I had a fairly big dress that had 3 layers of netting underneath. It was 40 degrees on our wedding day! If anything, the style of my dress made it easier. If I wore something thinner it would have definately showed up any sweat patches! My hubby even wore a navy blue suit and he's a mega-sweaer in the heat but he was fine too! Ceremony was 15 mins long then we had 30 mins of photos outside before getting everybody inside again. Inside is absolutely fine as you said because of the air conditioning. We all went on an open top bus then and most people were on top and it was pretty hot but everyone did well in their outfits and were fine! We put on chilled bottled water on the bus to keep everyone hydrated. Everything after this was inside! Here's a pic of my dress if it helps reassure your friend that she can still have a big wedding dress in vegas! I know plenty of other people who got married over there too and they all wore dresses similar to mine.

• Frugal Splurger
    Beginner September 2011
    Frugal Splurger ·
    • Hide content

FYI! Airbrush makeup is by far the best makeup for in the heat so tell her to make sure she has that! haha!

• Lusitana
    Beginner June 2012
    Lusitana ·
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile

I'm getting married in Portugal, in June, it shouldn't be red hot, but it will be warm (around 25ºC).

Although I'm portuguese and I'm used to this kind of weather.

I'm not getting married on the beach, but if I did, I would use a goddess style wedding dress, like this one:

My dress is a bit heavy and not very pratical for dancing in the evening, so I'm looking for a second dress, and I do love your ebay bargain!!! It's beautiful!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics