Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pookie8911
Beginner April 2017

To veil or not to veil!

Pookie8911, 13 of March of 2016 at 11:43 Posted on Planning 0 19

Probably worrying about the wrong things really, as still not found my dress, but was chatting to the other half this morning, and he's said he's really not bothered about me wearing a veil! I didn't think I was initially, but then after trying on a few dresses, I feel the veil just completes the look.

There's also the practical side of me that realises I probably will end up taking it off part way through the evening....so, is it really worth it? Or is it just an added cost that could be spent elsewhere? What are people's experiences/thoughts?

19 replies

Latest activity by Justkeepswimming, 25 of March of 2016 at 23:40
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I chose not to wear one but I think it depends on the final choice of dress so would decide once you have chosen. I have heard a lot of good reports about pink Margaret on Facebook whom does beautiful veils much cheaper than brida shops.

• K
    Beginner January 2016
    kimster ·
    • Hide content

I always said I wasn't going to have one, but tried on a few at my first fitting 'just to see' and ended up ordering one. I'm so glad I did! I agree it completes the look, and for me, my dress was tea length and a bit fifties looking so I felt like I needed an extra bit to make it feel more bridal. Having said that, even without one I don't think there's ever a chance of a bride not looking like a bride! Sounds corny but I think you'll 'just know' whether you want one or not when you get your dress!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

When I picked my dress I didn't want a veil but then I realised my big black tattoo showed above the neck at the back of my dress so I decided to get one just to cover the tatto up for the ceremony and photos. I'll take it off after or during the meal. I decided to get a second hand one as it was cheaper and didn't really want to spend a lot on something I was using to cover up a tattoo.

• B
    Beginner March 2016
    BuryBride ·
    • Hide content

I shuddered each time one was put on my head. It just wasn't right for me. I got a quirky little birdcage veil and loved it. I only took it off to go to bed! Keep your mind open until you find your dress then you'll know what's right for you.

• K
    Beginner August 2016
    KatJo ·
    • Hide content

I think that a veil definitely completed the look ?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have a veil, and I didn't even try one on. No regrets.

If you're not sure, I think you will know whether or not it's your thing when you try it on. ?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I think that it's completely up to you. I always imagined having a veil and so I'm having one! They don't have to be very expensive so any perceived waste of money is negligible and I'm sure your OH will think you look amazing whether you have one or not.

Just wait until you have the dress and if you think a veil will complete your outfit then just go for it, it's not like you get the chance to wear them all the time!

• R
    Beginner May 2018
    rusticbride90 ·
    • Hide content

Im not having a veil simply because the back of my dress has alot of detail which would be hidden if i were to wear one. Im just gunna go for a nice hair piece instead

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

If it makes you feel good then get one, you haven't got to spend oodles on it. I had a veil at my first wedding and absolutely loved it, it suited the dress and finished it off but I tried one with my dress this time around and it just wasn't right. And when are you going to get the chance to wear a veil again?!

• H
    Beginner February 2017
    HappyYellowHair540 ·
    • Hide content

I think veil really completes bridal look! Moreover, if it will be not very comfortable for you, you can wear it only for the official part! But there are a lot of gorgeous light veils, which look perfectly and very comfortable.

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

I was never fussed on having a veil and my fiance once told me he didn't really like them. For that reason I didn't even try one on. The lady at the dress shop really pushed me to try one on when I found my dress but I knew I didn't want to!

I think they're lovely on some people and with some dresses. It depends on how you want your hair and how much you love it. Practicalities to consider... are you getting married outside? Would it blow about and annoy you? Could you just wear a little one? Would it fit with your hair style?

Xx

• Wayne La
    Wayne La ·
    • Hide content

If you do decide you want a veil, make sure you have a go-to person who will be well practiced in fixing and adjusting it. The unruly nature of the veil means it'll inevitably need adjusting and I have heard a few winces from veil comb on scalp! Ouch!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I had one and didn't end up wearing it! However, I think I was swayed a little as my Mum has never been a fan of veils! I do regret not wearing one a little, but it was probably best with my dress. Go with what you personally feel and see whether it goes well with the dress you choose. Some suit veils more than others.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I'm going to end up buying a massively traditional dress, so don't think I'll bother trying on veils either - I think I'll just invest in a nice hair piece as I have visions of quite a big hair do going on & don't want to hide it away!

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    donkey86 ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't sure if I wanted one or not, but then my Mum got me to try on one and I found I really liked it. It's very long - it trails on the floor for about a meter behind me! Looking at it now I think maybe we got a bit carried away in the shop!

I'm not completely sure how practical it will be. I suspect I'll take it off right after the ceremony so it's probably a bit of a waste of money but hey, it'll make for some good photos. And it certainly makes me feel more bridal! It's just funny to me that I've gone from being ambivalent about having one at all, to having such a huge one.

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

Haha, I totally think this will end up being me. Like you say will make for some amazing photos!

thanks all. Think I need to pick my dress first then decide on veil. Maybe just give myself a strict budget for it!

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

I think it will depend on your dress. I wasn't even considering one, then the sales assistant popped one on whilst trying my dress and it looked perfect so I've gone for one, and a full on cathedral length so it trails about a metre behind me along with my train! I bought it at the bridal shop as I've gone for a Pronovias dress and they did a matching veil with the same detailing as my dress. I could have probably got it cheaper but got caught up in the moment xx

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

I had never wanted a veil but randomly my OH said he really wants me to wear one (weird as he's shown little opinion about anything else... His only two requests so far are can we include a surfboard in the wedding somehow, and can I wear a veil! Can't really deny him such a small request!)... But anyway, since having a look on the internet I now can't imagine NOT wearing a veil! I definitely want a long cathedral veil with lace or embroidery at the bottom... The ones I've seen in Pinterest look incredible and I think it will really complete my dress. Really impractical though so I'll probably take it out after my ceremony/photos/cocktail hour.... But I'm planning on changing dresses for the reception anyway so no big deal. I'm hoping to find a veil cheaply... I'm going to Thailand soon so am wondering if I'll find a veil at Bangkok market or something - apparently you can buy pretty much anything in the world there!

But basically... Use your own judgement. If you think it completes your look, get one! It doesn't have to cost he roof! Maybe even a second hand one (my dress was second hand) - a pre-loved veil will probably be easy to find due to no issues over size! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content

I have always always wanted a cathedral veil. When I was trying dresses on the girl casually asked if I was considering a veil and I practically scared the bejesus out of her when I almost screamed cathedral.

It is TOTALLY impractical but I love it ? I'm only having a registry office so some may think my choice of dress and full veil is a bit much for the venue, but I'm only planning on being a bride once so screw them!

My cousin said not having a veil was her biggest wedding regret, and she was adamant that such didn't want one@

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

My OH didn't seem to keen on veils when we discussed it, and neither was I at the time, but then I tried some on with my dress and it really made it complete and I felt really "bridal" if that makes sense!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics