Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*J9*
VIP March 2014

Too early!!

*J9*, 18 of November of 2014 at 16:14 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

I've just been emailing a client and booked something to happen in January. He signed off his last email with "Merry Christmas!!!"

Surely it's too early for this?? Or am I just being a Scrooge?

15 replies

Latest activity by pink & glitz, 21 of November of 2014 at 22:31
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Much too early!!!!! All the christmas lights are up in the local towns already and I've even seen a couple of fully decorated houses.

I am a dedicated scrooge however! I resist decorating until at most a week before Xmas.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

No, you're right. People should not be merry Christmas-ing til Christmas week IMO. It reminds me of a Seinfeld scene about people saying 'happy new year' too late: "I once got happy new year-ed in March!"

I went on a twitter rant about this last year - in recent years I feel like a Scrooge cos I don't like starting Christmas too early. I do have mixed feelings about some aspects of Christmas, but overall I like it - I like Christmas food, music, decorations, etc. I just don't like them when it's still November! There is definitely an increasing trend of people wanting to be 'Christmassy' way earlier than they used to. It's like...Christmas came back into fashion. I dunno, I'm not articulating myself very well, but I know what I mean.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I get what you mean ID. I think! ?

I love Christmas but when it all starts too early I get really fed up with it. When I lived with my parents our Christmas tree never went up before 15th Dec (my dad's bday) and it was a nice amount of time to get excited. These days I see houses fully done up in November and it's too much! I'm sick of the sight of them long before Christmas week!

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree that it's much too early!
    Overall I love Christmas, but it can get a bit much especially when it starts in November

I've been called a Scrooge before as I won't put up any decorations until a fortnight before Christmas

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Christmas definitely shouldn't start until December, but if you won't speak to him until Jan I do kinda understand, for example I always say merry christmas to my hairdresser the last time I see her, this year that will be the 28th Nov!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Ah'ha I was just wondering what everybodies thoughts to this was.

When the first window on the advent calander is open, thats when I will start getting spirity I think. Not sure I will be much spirity this year anyway, I hardly have any time off as I had a lot for the wedding, so I am at christmas/on forums at my desk most of it!!

As a family, we do secret Santa, so we only buy one adult pressie each and recieve just one also, my parents have been eager to sort it out and two of my sisters quite willing however the third sister has completely refused to acknowledge christmas until December, not because shes scrooge as such she gets as excited as any reasonable adult could when its actually almost christmas!!

I don't mind getting ready for christmas early, almost done my christmas shopping. But this is purely because the offers are on at the moment, but arent as much come December, so I will get that part of it done. I am far from in the spirit of the season though, and I think if a customer was to wish me happy christmas etc etc just yet, I honestly don't know how I wuold respond think I would be a bit stunned and go 'hm yeah and you'

Hubby said to me about a fortnight ago - I think we should put the tree up this weekend. We are only having a small table one this year, as its our dogs first christmas/we dont really have a obvious space for the tree, but he thought we should do it as we had a spare day. just no.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

No definitely too early!

I don't mind all the Christmas stuff in the shops and songs on the radio at this point but it is too early to wish someone merry Christmas and too early to put up Christmas decs. That is only ok 1st December onwards.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to music in shops, I have already started playing the Slade Game with my H2B, bro and former flatmate. The rule is as follows: you must reach Christmas Day without hearing Noddy Holder shout "it's CHRIIIISTMAAAAS!" So if you hear the song on the TV/radio you turn over, if you hear it in a shop you gotta drop your stuff and get out. Last year I was taken down by a rogue episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks, so I'm gunning for glory this time. Feel free to play along...

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early - Merry Christmassing should only be allowed in the working week that Christmas is actually in, and even then I'm stretching it a bit as I sort of feel it should be saved for Christmas cards and then the actual days with Christmas in the title. If someone is signing off in December and won't speak to you until January, then "I hope you have a good Christmas" or similar is acceptable.

But then perhaps my views are coloured by church-going, where it's Advent all the way up to Christmas Eve, which is when colours change over (from purple to white) and decorations apepar in church etc etc.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I walked into Clintons the other day, and the entire shop was just full of Xmas stuff except for one small section of birthday cards. It was the same in Card Factory. Anyone would think people stop having birthdays after Hallowe'en! And they were both playing incessant sappy Xmas songs - ugh! I turned around and walked straight back out again.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Last week I had to get a birthday card and a wedding card and it was a nightmare. They do not need to dedicate 3 quarters of the shop to Christmas stuff, especially in November. People still have other life events going on!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

My other half's birthday is in early February, and I have the same problem getting him a birthday card because the card shops are all full of Valentine's Day cards. *sigh*

• CoconutDonut
    Beginner December 2016
    CoconutDonut ·
    • Hide content

Far, far, far too early.

A house on our street already has a fully decorated Christmas tree standing proudly at the window!

I've always been taught, that the earliest any Christmas decorations or whatnot should be put up, is the first Sunday of Advent. This can fall as early as 27 November, but is usually the first Sunday in December. This year it is in November, on the 30th to be precise.

However, the only things that get placed in my home on First Sunday of Advent, are my Advent candles.

No tree. No decorations. Nada.

The tree and decorations go up the 17th December, a week before Christmas Eve, which feels the right time.

I love Christmas, it's my favourite time of year (my birthday is Christmas Day after all), but if I do it all too early then it loses its magic.

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I am going against what everyone else has said as I put up my 2 Christmas trees today, my husband and I are Christmas daft!!! Presents wrapped, cards written!! This is the first year I have put it up in November but that's due to us being off on holiday for 2 weeks and being a bit bored lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics