Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2012

Too early for hair/makeup trial?

sr3693, 22 June, 2011 at 13:39 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hey all,

Get married May next year but have my hair & makeup trial booked for end of July...do you think this is too early?

I have my Tiara & Veil.

Just didn't want her to get booked up as my other choice is booked up already but also didn't wanna book until I had trial and felt happy iykwim?

xx

11 replies

Latest activity by Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB), 23 June, 2011 at 10:24
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think it's too early to try a style for the day but not too early to get a feel for whether you like the girl and therefore trust she will do well when it comes to making a final decision.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Obviously we don't know what your hair is currently like or what styles you're looking at - but one thought that springs to mind is if you have a tryout with her she might say "well if you can grow another six inches I can do these styles" which you may really love, and if come next May you've just had a haircut and have no chance of growing in time for the style you've just fallen in love with then you are going to have issues.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

I agree may be too early but not for you to get a feel as to whether you like them

I get married next June and was thinking about a fringe so got it cut this weekend so that I have time for it to grow back if I dont like it

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

Not to early; if you want something relatively common/simple I'm sure it won't be hard to recall on the day - surely you can just take a photo. If budget allows you could have two trials, but as you say it's best to get who you want booked up!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Hey date twin!!

yes and no.........i recently looked at a beauticians package and had a word with her, she said to have my make up trial now would be good and bad.....good cos its the same time of year of the wedding so my skins colour is similar to what it will be then....but also, trens change so leaving it later next year may be better!! ive decided on next year!!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit early but will give you an idea of if you want to book her. When we got engaged my hair was v short but I spoke to my hairdresser about styles I liked and talk8ing to her early means I've been able to grow it so I can wear it up

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I think it's too early. Unless you plan to have another nearer the time.

The standard is about 2 months before the big day, I had my hair and make up trials 2 months before - this gives the hair/make up artist(s) the best idea of the length/texture/condition of your hair and skin colouring. Also fresher in their mind (and yours) then too. Plus you may change you mind on hair styles in that time.

Top tip - if you plan on having fake tan or anything for your big day, make sure you do the same (and the same shade) for the make up trial - I didn't, but my make up artist said if you are to do this, as otherwise the trial won't be accurate, and a lot of time will be wasted on the wedding day changing colours to match your skin tone! x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on whether you can afford another closer to the day?

If you can't, then i'd wait, but if you can justify the cost i'd have one now on booking and another closer to the time.

I had a trial around a year ago on my hair, and we agreed it would need to be significantly longer for the style i wanted so i've been growing it since then. I have my second trial at the weekend.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LittleMissB ·
    • Hide content

I get married April 27th and the lady I have contacted for my make up arranged my first meeting with her for September time, I think this is just to meet each other, discuss ideas etc, shouldnt think I would be having trial then as I would be likely to change my mind nearer the time. But its a good time to go through pictures and show her any ideas you do have IMO.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Like others have said I don't think it is necessarily too soon to meet and see if you like her etc, but i do think it's too early to really know what you want.

My make up and hair trial is end of July and I honestly haven't thought more than a handful of times about what i want.

My ideas for the big day have changed and adapted so much over the last 9 months of planning so this is one thing I think is definitely best left til later on.

Hair styles as welll can massively affect, or be affected, by what jewellery you have.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice peeps...

I've always wanted a half up/down do with some curls cuz i dont like my hair up completely so i was thinkin that wont make much difference from now until new year apart from length but i get my hair cut every 8 weeks.

I also cant afford to have 2 trials but i didnt want her to get booked up...

I've emailed her my thoughts about it all so will wait for her to come back...she was recommended to me by a friend whose had her hair & make up done by this lady twice so im sure ill be happy with her but u never know!

I might just pay the £50 to secure the date and push the trials back Smiley winking

Thanks again

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I sometimes do practices a long time before the wedding if the bride wants to put her mind at rest. Makeup is different to hair as hair grows, colour changes etc. Alternatively you could pay a deposit to hold your date with her so she doesn't fill your date then have a practice nearer the wedding. Juliet

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics