Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ebony
Savvy May 2023 Lincolnshire

Too early to contact suppliers? Wedding Planning for May 2023

Ebony, 28 of April of 2021 at 16:36 Posted on Planning 3 21
Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice on wedding planning, particularly when to start reaching out to suppliers. Most of the online guides and blogs I have read advise reaching out about a year in advance, however most of these were written pre-covid. With couples delaying weddings from 2020 and 2021, and this potentially causing increased demand, I’m wondering if we should be reaching out sooner?

We have already secured our venue for May 2023 and I’m wondering if we should do the same for our suppliers too. I don’t want to reach out too early and waste their time if they aren’t providing quotes for 2023 yet, but I also don’t want to miss out 😆
Is anyone else in the same boat and wondering what to do? I think lockdown is making it worse, as wedding planning has been something fun we can do during the evening to pass the time so it’s hard not to look/think about it!

21 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 25 of October of 2021 at 21:13
  • D
    Dedicated June 2021 Hertfordshire
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you'd be wasting anyone's time if in your enquiry email you give them your wedding date - they can always come back to you and say they're not quoting that far ahead at the moment if that's the case. But if they are, then you can get started!

• S
    Dedicated August 2023 South Yorkshire
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content

I am in a similar position, we are August 2023. Our venue only had two summer holiday weekends left to choose from so we are wondering if suppliers are too?

• Ebony
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah that's crazy! Our venue was fully booked for 2022, but it had loads of interest for 2023. I think covid has just thrown off the usual schedules for everyone. I'm even wondering about when to send out save the dates as I know lots of people will be planning ahead for holidays, and playing it safe by booking them further in advance. I'm now thinking of sending them out 18 months beforehand instead of 12 months.

• Jasmine
    Curious August 2023 Norfolk
    Jasmine ·
    • Hide content

I'm also getting married August 2023. We have only sorted the venue out so far and I was going to wait until early next year before doing anything else as I wanted to be able to do everything with covid hopefully gone. Maybe I'm making a mistake? Smiley atonished

• L
    Beginner October 2023 Essex
    Luxurygold37 ·
    • Hide content
    Totally same position. We’re going for July 2023 and currently researching for a DJ and photographer. We’ve found a few are already very busy for 2022 so we’re getting in touch now to show interest and maybe get a cheaper quote in advance.

Our registration office is already taking bookings up until April 2023 which is much further in advance than we thought! They’ve asked used call back in a few months to book our ceremony.
    I’d say start researching/ following on social media some vendors you are interested in.
  • L
    Beginner June 2022
    LuxuriousGreenCakes62026 ·
    • Hide content

I got engaged just before lockdown last year and we are getting married in June 2022, so decided to use the lockdown time to research and book everything. I'm now so glad I did.

I managed to book ceremony, cars, marquee, photographer, DJ etc.

I think with everything that has gone on and with weddings being moved because of the lockdown, I think it's never too early to start.

Good luck

• Jade
    Curious June 2023 Shropshire
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married in June 2023, and we got engaged in November 2020. We initially decided to just do some research but because we loved some suppliers we decided to book asap to secure them as they were already being booked for 2023. So we’ve booked our venue, photographer, band and decoration hire 😊
    I don’t think there is any harm in being prepared and agree with other posts, it’s never too early to start!
    Good luck with everything 😊
  • J
    Beginner May 2023 Gloucestershire
    Jasmine ·
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are also getting married in May 2023 and are having the same dilemma. I couldn’t help myself so have reached out to a few bands and florists/stylists, but that’s about it. One thing I’ve found is that everyone seems to open their diaries at different times, with some already booked, others taking 2023 bookings, some waiting until after this summer and then others not taking bookings until next year. Leaving it until next year scares me a bit too much, as I’d worry we would be left without any choice that close to our date 😱

If you have any preferred suppliers, it may be worth reaching out to them to see when they’re taking bookings for your date and then you’ve at least registered your interest if they aren’t taking bookings yet. And if they are taking bookings, at least you’re aware.
  • Rachael
    Beginner June 2023 Tyne & Wear
    Rachael ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in June 2023 and am just about to book the venue now but I am also wondering about sending out invites as I think people may be booking holidays etc also and I am also wondering about Dj’s, photographers etc xx

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

You wont be wasting suppliers time in contacting them earlier. If a supplier is not "yet" taking bookings for 2023 then I would question why?. If a supplier is planning on still doing whatever they do in the near future then why wouldn't they be happy to take bookings for 2023.

Do not take so much notice from online guide and blogs that you read - many of them are US and also you are reading the same thing because very little is new content and they all seem to just copy each others. And a lot is written, not by wedding professionals who really know but just "content" writers who seem to latch onto a certain view/ trend and just repeat it.

Waiting 1 year out before you contact suppliers for a July - August wedding is definitely wrong advice. Think about this, if everyone is reading the same thing and doing the same thing and waiting until 12 months then those suppliers are going to get booked up quickly at that time, you need to get in there before everyone else and secure them 18+ months before.

God help us if there is a covid variant that effects 2022 weddings as they are all going to want to move to 2023 also.

If someone is booking myself right now for 2023 then they will also be getting 2022 prices.

• Cameron
    Fife & Angus
    Cameron ·
    • Hide content

Speaking from a wedding musicians' point of view, the band I play with are currently taking bookings for 2023. With COVID leading to most of our 2020 weddings being rescheduled, bookings are already filling up for 2023. I would recommend getting in early with any of the suppliers that you are interested in booking. There's no harm in sending them an email and getting the ball rolling! If you wish to contact a Ceilidh Band for a 2023 wedding, don't hesitate to get in touch! Book Now!

• Melissab
    Dedicated June 2022 Surrey
    Melissab ·
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married in June 2022 and our entire wedding (venue, suppliers etc) was booked in 2020. The only supplier whose diary wasn’t open for bookings when I enquired was the string quartet, but they did hold the date for me and got in touch when they were ready to formally make the booking and take deposit. I’d say definitely start reaching out now
  • Aleysha
    Beginner November 2023 Powys
    Aleysha ·
    • Hide content

Very late to this I know! But I've literally booked my wedding today for November 2023!

Don't worry about timing!

• D
    Norfolk
    David ·
    • Hide content

As a supplier I'd be more than happy to chat to couples about wedding ideas in the near or distant future, and it's never to early to start planning and finding ideas. I'd also never turn down a booking because it was too far out.

If you've found a supplier you want to be a part of your wedding, better to book them before they're booked elsewhere as it'll always happen regardless of the current situation!

David

• J
    Beginner November 2023 Tyne & Wear
    Jlsx ·
    • Hide content
    We are getting married November 2023 and have already contacted suppliers. They have all been great and replying and super helpful. My worry has been people moving their dates due to covid & always it’s helping put together a proper budget so there is definitely no harm in reaching out! xxx
  • Ebony
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone, great to hear all your views 😊 I’ll start reaching out to suppliers ASAP!
  • N
    Savvy June 2023 North Yorkshire
    Nikki ·
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married June 23 and have booked venue, caterers, registrar and photographer. Also in the middle of sorting out DJ/band. When we booked nearly a month ago our venue was already 50% booked for 2023! I have sent a few supplier enquires (hair and makeup) and they have said I’m too early but at least you can get your feelings out and they know you’re interested! Happy planning! Xxx
  • Maria
    Savvy December 2021 South East London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    My venue is booked for September 2023 and we have contacted a few of our favourite suppliers and a lot are getting booked for 2023 pretty quickly with all the wedding pushbacks. All of the suppliers we contacted had a 2023 price list already. I would suggest if you have suppliers in mind then contact them ASAP. Also it’s peace of mind knowing it’s another thing booked and checked off the list! 😁 happy planning!
  • Emily
    Beginner September 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content

I am September 2023 and I have the venue, registrar, and lighting decor booked already! I am already reaching out to bands, photographers, caterers - everything! I'm of the belief that 2023 is going to become very busy very quickly with COVID skewing everything backwards. The only supplier I got push back from was a florist who said it was simply too early to quote on the price of flowers at the moment. Everyone else has come back to me quickly and been encouraging bookings. I don't really see the point in waiting personally - I'd just end up with less options overall whereas at the moment I am finding I have first pick of everything! Its great! Also I am finding it does take some time to research and choose certain suppliers (e.g. I am picky about the band and photographer)

• Steph
    Beginner October 2024 South Yorkshire
    Steph ·
    • Hide content

We are a Wedding Stationery Business (Yorkshire Wedding Invites), We have many bookings already in to 2023 and also have some in to 2024 so I certainly do not feel it is to early for any planning to take place. I would suggest getting to know the suppliers, maybe meet them or even over zoom if you are unable to meet face to face. Don't leave it all until the last minute, popular suppliers and venues book up early so get yourselves organised deposits down and save yourself the stress. Remember every business should now have things in place just in case of another lockdown in the future so don't worry to much about that. If you would like further help please drop us a message on our fb page or website Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner November 2023 Merseyside
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s too early. We’ve booked our venue and have already reached out to suppliers for quotes who are more than happy to get booked in now for Nov 2023 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics