Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bridget
Beginner June 2025 Norfolk

Too early to send Save the Dates?

Bridget, 18 of August of 2023 at 14:31 Posted on Planning 2 14

Hi,

My Fiancé and I are getting married in June 2025. We have booked our venue and secured the date. Half of the guests are coming from the USA. Would it be too soon to send save the dates asap to the American guests? I want to provide an ample amount of time for them to prepare to travel with time off, flights, passports, etc. If it is too early, when would be the best time to send them out so my guests have enough time to prepare?

Thanks!

14 replies

Latest activity by Bridget, 30 of August of 2023 at 16:49
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Normally would send 12-18 months before, but due to your international guts needing to prepare I don't see any issue sending now, just be mindful that you sure 100% on your guest list and are not likely to remove them as that could be tricky later down the line, only say this as we got caught up in the excitement and then when we were a year out from the wedding there were some people we actually hadn't seen and was awkward to try and remove them . Or wait till January, still plenty of time as lets be honest, people cant book leave or flights usually 2 years out so it wouldn't harm to wait until beginning of the year, but is entirely your choice.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! I agree with Charlotte! Not too early at all but make sure these are the people you ****% want there! And if you’re unsure don’t send them one at this moment in time.
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    Have you checked if you can book flights for June 2025 yet? You want to give international guests as much notice as possible to prepare but if they can't actually book anything yet then it may still be too early.
  • Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think my main concern were getting passports in order as that can take time. Also just to save up and decide if they want to travel for the wedding before invites go out.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you are 100% sure that you want these overseas guests to come, then I see no problem with letting them know now. While they may not want to book flights this far out, it may alter their travel plans - for example, I have a friend living in New Zealand who booked a flight to the UK for 8 months before my wedding - she said she wouldn't have booked it if she'd known at the time that my wedding would be so soon after. It would be a shame if you found that some of your US guests had booked holidays in the UK for a few months before your wedding and then couldn't afford to make the same trip again so soon after!

• N
    Beginner June 2025 South West London
    Nick ·
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! We’re also getting married June 2025 and we’re planning to send Save the Dates in the next couple of months. Ie, before the Christmas postal rush. I’m a bit of a planner so I’d personally prefer to be told further in advance if I was a guest.

Even if flights aren’t yet available to buy, I’d personally appreciate as long as possible to save money for the flight. And to plan to make a holiday out of the trip too. Good luck!!
  • Emma
    Curious April 2024 South Yorkshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

We have family coming from abroad, and we've found flights are released 11months before. I'd be tempted to wait until the new year to send them, as I think they might get lost/forgotten by being sent this early.

• Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I don’t want them to be forgotten. My thinking is for them to sort out passports so that they either can get one or renew it, saving up, and already mentioned on here, incorporating the wedding into a trip to Europe or the UK they may already be planning.
  • Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, this is exactly my thinking!
  • J
    Savvy April 2024 West London
    Joanna ·
    • Hide content
    We are marrying in April and sent save the dates. Plan to send the invites before xmas
  • Lauren
    Beginner April 2024 Staffordshire
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, as soon as I booked the venue I sent out the save the dates, we were about 2 years before the date but we had a number of extended family weddings coming up and I wanted to make sure everyone coukd be there and didn't want to have anyone booking the same date.

• Kate
    Beginner April 2025 Hertfordshire
    Kate ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in April 2025 and we've already sent Save the Date cards! We wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible. We also may have family travelling from abroad, so it gives them time to save and sort out flights, etc.

We plan to do the invites/wedding website a year before so all the details are in place Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner August 2025 Essex
    Danny ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in August 2025, and we're hoping to send Save the Dates out January 2024 time! I think if you're 100% sure on guest list then send out asap, can't hurt! Another good idea is sending only those you know may need to know further in advance, then you can possibly adjust catering etc if they say they're not coming - or alternatively - give the spot to someone else!

• Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your feedback! very good points!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics