Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner December 2014

Too many subtle themes?

charliecat88, 12 February, 2013 at 16:01 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hello!
This is my first post so sorry if it's too long!!

Currently in the midst of planning our big day. We have a venue (at last!!) but the problem is that a venue is all we seem to have. Now don't get me wrong, I am not stressed out yet because we have ages to plan; our date is 21st Dec 2014. But my fiance and I sat down the other day and talked about colour schemes and themes for the wedding.

The obvious one being Christmas/Winter theme because the venue will already be decorated up so that has to be incorporated. But I am not sure how that will play along with the colours we want. He loves red and I love teal? With a base colour of white will this work?? Has anyone seen it pulled off before? And do you think it will clash with the rest of the festive colours the venue will be decorated with like golds, burgundy, pine green?

The second theme we talked about was the Sixties? Mainly because I love the era, the look, the music, the make up, the stars!! Amazing. We're not talking a big influence, but we like a band who plays only music from that era (they come with a DJ too so some up to date music will also be played during the bands breaks) and I would love to arrive in a VW Campervan, I will base my make up and, to a certain extent, the style of my dress in that sort or vintage era.

Finally, rustic and outdoors. We are both big outdoors types. We want pine cones and logs and evergreens and herbs (rather than flowers because H2B is allergic to most of them and I don't like flowers much).

Do you think that mixing these three themes will work or is there just too much going on and we need to strip it back?

Any advice or ideas on how to mix them carefully would be brilliant Smiley smile

4 replies

Latest activity by LEN11212, 12 February, 2013 at 17:40
  • C
    Beginner December 2014
    charliecat88 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I am looking more at the darker green teal rather than the blue type. I don't mind scrapping it completely Smiley smile

I am having 2 bridesmaids so the one in each colour dress would work brilliantly!! I never thought of that. I'll talk to them and let them fight it out as to who wants what colour haha.

I like the boquet, very pretty and delicate. Because of my "rustic outdoors theme" I was looking at something similar to this:

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, you are thinking about this way further in advance than I did! We got married on 1st December 2012 so our venue was also decorated for Christmas.

If you are not keen on lots of flowers then this time of year is perfect for you because lots of pine (the smell was divine!) and candles looks amazing. Remember it will be dark from early on so candles really do create an amazing atmosphere. And pine wreaths and garlands are perfect for Christmas.

We did have lots of flowers too, but these were all white, and we had lots of white pointsettias which were gorgeous. The venue had 3 huge trees up, our florist then bought a few more just decorated with lights to put on the steps out the front.

I also had teal dresses but I didn't go overboard on the teal theme. It was just the 4 BMs then ties for the guys. We didn't have chair covers or bows or anything like that and nothing teal on the tables at all.

Given what you have said about your love of greenery over flowers I have to say i don't think you could have chosen a better time of year for your wedding.

Can you tell I totally loved the venue styling at mine?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics