Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pittabre

Tooth extraction or root canal

Pittabre, 12 December, 2013 at 14:11 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

Which would you go for?

My tooth has accidentally been killed and they have offered me the two above choices. I don't really want to lose my tooth but I suffer from TMJD which makes having my mouth open wide enough for dental things very painful and root canal will apparently take two and a half hours. Plus it isn't a guarantee, I may lose the tooth completely anyway.

I'm sure AC had root canal recently - was that a chocie between the above or does it not always work that way?

17 replies

Latest activity by Joy, 29 November, 2023 at 18:48
  • OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Can you see it when you really smile? If yes keep it, if not get rid!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Depends where the tooth is? I plumped for an extraction as it was the very back tooth so didnt impact on appearance.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

It's right at the back. After they killed the last one, I had that removed and a wisdom tooth came through and filled the gap? Is it stupid to fill sad at the tooth being killed when there was nothing wrong with it?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I've had both root canal and dental implant where a root canal wouldn't have taken.

Personally I'd always advise a repair of any sort, extraction means jaw bone loss and shrinkage, ie a different shaped jaw. You know how old men look without their dentures in...?

All the dentists I have seen have been very sensitive to my fears and very helpful.

(I have the last two appointments for my implant/new tooth in January - it's taken nearly a year but all is fine)

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

PS I have never had ANY treatment lasting 2.5 hours. Difficult root canal (twisted roots)l was an hour and I nearly fell asleep it got so boring!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I've had both root canal and extraction.

Root canal was awful, but I think the extraction was worse - took hours to stop bleeding and then it got infected.

I had the root canal when I was 14, so 11 years and it's not given me any pain since.

It really is personal preference, but I'd probably go with extraction.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Keep the tooth as long as possible. You're liable for infection either way but much worse if you get an extraction. For a root canal you will likely have it done over a series of appointments, so why not tell the dentist about your issues, and perhaps they can do a few canals one day, fill it, then do the rest the next.

If the tooth is dead and it's not due to severe cavity, the structure of the tooth should be sound, but it will get more brittle over (a long period of) time and they will need to cap it with a crown to hold it together, but it's the better thing to do.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

I faced the same choice a few weeks ago but as I have already lost a tooth on that side I would have been left with no bite on one side if i had had it removed. So I had the root canal. It took 3 hours and was horrible I won't lie. I also have arthritis in my neck so it is very uncomfortable and suffered from a lot of tooth pain for a week afterwards and had to go on antibiotics but now am pleased I had it done. You should have a crown put on it anyway which will make sure it has the best chance of lasting which is better than losing the tooth. If they do a proper job and get right to the bottom of the canals and have the crown, you shouldn't lose the tooth. I totally sympathise it isn't pleasant but worth it in the long run.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Can I add that it's not always as bad as you think it'll be. If the tooth is dead, the treatment itself won't hurt. The nerve is dead, and they're removing it just to prevent complications. The only pain you'll have is an ache-y jaw from it being open, and maybe pain in nearby teeth that have been moved about a bit. Root canals are super painful afterwards if the tooth is still semi-vital, but not if they're already non-vital.

I'm saying it'll be a walk in the park, but I had one done 6 and 5 days before my wedding. It was an hour each appointment as it was a 2nd molar and had 4 roots and canals to do (which is apparently the most there can be according to my sister). I was given an antibiotic prescription to take 'just in case,' though the dentist said she wouldn't have even bothered if it wasn't for me getting married that weekend! She put it a composite filling (the white kind used on normal cavities) and I didn't get a crown until October.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Personally l would go for the root canal and hope for the best for your tooth. When l had my root canal it lasted a year or 2 then l ended up having to have crown. But l am sure your teeth are less weak and pathetic than mine!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Ach! I've booked for an extraction now and got the agreement from work to get it done. My problem is that is causes problems my mouth being open for extended lengths of time and in particular I can't open it widely. The tooth is just dead, there wasn't anything originally wrong with it☹️

Could I get a 'false' tooth fitted later if I wanetd or is that what a root canal is? It might seem stupid but I have no idea what it is other than it being lengthy and therefore troublesome for me. The pain of it isn't the problem, it's the pain caused by my mouth being open.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

You could get an implant put in, sure. I'm not sure it wouldn't require a long time with your mouth open, though. You might need to have a post fitted in there first. My cousin had a tooth knocked out playing hockey (we're typically Canadian, we are!), and he had to walk around with a little metal post in place of one of his front teeth for a week or so before it was finished. Looked ridiculous!

Then again, yours probably isn't a front tooth, so wouldn't matter much.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hope you get on OK. I've a similar problem that if I keep my mouth wide open too long without any breaks, I get swollen glands so my dentist is very good and lets me have regular intervals. I've had two root canal fillings and both mine were split into two visits - one to clean out the tooth and then a temporary filling put in place and the next one for the filling of it. I can't imagine it taking two hours! It's a tricky job so surely they would need a break too! With root canal, you get to keep your original tooth but the nerve is removed and filled. Over a long period of time and with ageing, the tooth may become discoloured (so I've been told) but my original one is still OK and I had that done over ten years ago. You honestly can't feel a thing having the actual procedure done and I'm a dentist whimp.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I had root canal done in sept and I had worked myself up and to be honest I didn't feel a thing.. it really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be and I have a slight dental phobia.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That way my experience when l had mine and l have phobia about the dentist

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could have an implant fitted.

The extraction and bone graft that I had was by far the longest (and worst!) bit of the process. The fitting of the titanium peg took about 20 mins and was no worse that a filling. I had two small stitches afterwards. You only need a bone graft if you either don't have sufficient jaw bone to take the peg or (in my case) the nerve is too close to the original tooth root.

Disclaimer: I am not a dentist.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I had a root canal on the tooth right at the top at the back and wish I'd just insisted on having it removed. It's been nothing but trouble and I've had to have a very expensive crown put on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics