Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2019

Top table & divorced parents!

KatherineNx, 22 of January of 2018 at 13:36 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi all,

Both my mum and dad are divorced and are remarried, and my soon-to-be husbands parents are still married.

My parents and step parents don’t overly get along but will be civil under the circumstances!

Would love to know ideas for seating on the top table when they’re are divorced and step parents involved?

3 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePurpleCars47773, 1 of February of 2018 at 17:46
  • R
    Beginner July 2018
    RomanticGoldCars37092 ·
    • Hide content

I have exactly the same situation and so did my brother. My brother actually had his in-laws separated either side of him and his wife so top table went like this:

Step mum-Dad-Mum in Law-Brother-Wife-Dad in Law-Mum-Step dad

• S
    Beginner March 2018
    Sandra-Dee ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katherine,

We're in a similar situation with my OH's parents being divorced and his dad is remarried. My parents are still married. His mum and his step mum don't get on with each other and I think his dad isn't overly keen on his mum either.

As this would cause too much tension having them all on the top table we have decided to not have one at all. We'll have a sweetheart table (I think that's what it's called). Basically a table just for me and my then husband and a spare seat at each side. This way all guests can come and join us for a chat.

If a traditional top table isn't too important to you that might be an idea.

Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the planning,

Sandra

• jeffshamphoto
    Savvy March 2015
    jeffshamphoto ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar situation, wife’s parents separated with new partners and families, my parents still together. So we sat my best man and his wife and maid of honour and husband on top table - just the 6 of us. The families were put on the first two tables directly in front of us. Wife’s dad did his speech in front of the top table then. If that makes sense.

I think as long as everyone is happy, there’s no right or wrong way to seat people on the top table.

• E
    Beginner August 2019
    ExpensivePurpleCars47773 ·
    • Hide content

I have this too. My parents are divorced with new partners, H2B's dad is a widow. We are planning on having a sweetheart table (just the two of us) and then spend time walking around the tables when we've finished our food.

My mum will be on a table with her direct relatives, my dad in a table with his and H2B's dad on a table with his.

My problem is then which table to seat my sister on!

I think sweetheart tables are the way forward when you don't have a traditional set up (or even if you do!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics