Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner May 2011

Top Table Drama!!

ppd0411, 21 March, 2011 at 08:45 Posted on Planning 0 11

Any one else having problems with their top table???

My parents are divorced and have been for 20 years and my dad is remarried but my mum on her own. We said for this reason we were only having a top table of 4 me and H2B and Best man and Maid of Honour (im only having the one bridesmaid. This at first caused a problem with H2B mother but after seeing the venue laid out on Saturday with a long top table i love it and think a small top table will look silly. So with 2 months to go ive changed my mind.

the problem ...... H2B mother!! My dad and his wife dont want to be split up and H2B parents always go on about when his sister got married they hated not sitting togehter so my top table is going to be as follows..

Maid of Honour... Step Mum... Father of the bride.. Bride.. Groom.. Mother of the bride.. Father of the groom.. Mother of the Groom...best Man (Best man is actually my 12 year old son but he is happy with this)

Honestly his mum has had a major sulk and even went as far as to say shove my mum on the end with my son!!!

Anyone got any thoughts on the above or any alternatives???

Most of my guests (mum, dad, Maid of honour) always say its my day anything to make me happy but H2B mother is really selfish and forgets she isnt mother of the bride this time like when her daughter gets married.

Am i being unreasonable and is anyone having a non traditional tob table??

11 replies

Latest activity by Strippy2011, 21 March, 2011 at 18:06
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar problem due to split parents but we have decided (its what WE want and no one else) to have us two and just our parents so a top table of 6. BM and partner and moms OH go on a round table nearest the top table.

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

We have exactly the same problem so we are not having a top table but will be doing 'family tables' for the parents and we are sitting on a round table like everyone else with just the BM's, best men and ushers!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

IMO, the Mother of the Groom is just as important as the Mother of the Bride so I don't think she is being 'really selfish'. The stepmum should move to allow your mum to sit there - your MIL2B shouldn't be sat further away from her son on his wedding day to accommodate your mum and stepmum.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS - I think it'd be easy enough to swop your MIL2B and step mum, and your son might prefer to sit next to your step mum if he knows her a bit better - you don't want a miserable face at your table for your wedding!

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this too (although my mother seems to think otherwise and that causes problems for OH & I!). I want both mums to be as involved on the day as each other, even if my mum has done and given more. I don't have any drama as such with ours though, we are fortunate that both sets of parents are still happily (we think lol) married. The only thing I pondered over was how to have the top table- we didn't want a long table after being at my sisters wedding were we both felt too conscious of guests watching us to enjoy dinner! Therefore, we are having a round table in the centre of the room so that all our guests can sit around us and all feel as important as the next table!

Hope you sort it out though!

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

OHs dad passed away about 6 years ago and his mum has remained 100% celibate since so we're top heavy with women on our top table.. well maybe not because both my BMs would rather sit with their partners if they could.

There's only 32/33 of us going to be at the wedding breakfast so we've opted to have a u shaped table rather than lots of individual ones. I've been told we can have 8 across the bottom of the u but that leaves me with 12 and 13 down the sides, not sure how that'll look!

My plan is to put BMs on the end of the top table and their partners at the top of each side..

BM1, BM2. Best Man, MOG, G, B, FOB, MOB,

Did also consider: Best Man, MOG, G, B, FOB, MOB, and my 92 y/o grandad and then put the BMs with the rest of the group

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Our top table isn't quite traditional - OH parents are divorced. His dad remarried but him and his wife are absolute t*ts who try to play mind games with their children, we don't speak to them so they're not invited. OH's mother has also remarried and lives abroad, and will not be attending (her choice).

Our top table is looking like:

Best Man (OH's BIL), FOTB, MOTB, Bride, Groom, 2x Bridesmaids (OH's sisters) and Usher (OH's other BIL). This way OH has family on the top table, too.

• em rose
    Beginner August 2011
    em rose ·
    • Hide content

Dont envy you! We've bumped all family and have chosen to sit with friends (all men the men at our table are ushers or the bestman and the wives and girlfriends are really good friends of mine). All parents are sat with either their friends or family. We are all sat on round tables (with our table in the middle of everyone) with the parents tables closest - if that makes sense! My parents dont have a problem and as far as I know his dont either - or their just not saying... actually maybe they dont know!!!!! a future thread perhaps!! xx

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

We didnt like top tables and so had four large table for guests one was my family, one was OH family, one was friends of family and the last was our friends. We then sat on a sweetheart table. it worked perfectly. If you are having doubts then do what every feels right for you dont be bullied into anything hun.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

Your MIL2B is just as important as your Mum, it's not just your day, you know.

We aren't having a traditional top table, just me, H2B and parents, bridesmaid and best man are sitting with their partners and friends.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

If your parents had still been together then, traditionally, they wouldn't have been sat next to each other at the top table anyway! Consequently i don't see why your step-mum should sit next to your father.

My daughter is getting married soon and me and her father are divorced and both remarried.

My daughter decided that only her father and I would be on the top table. Her step mother and my husband will be on 2 separate tables close to the top table and will sit with their close family or best friends.

No-one has a problem with this and even if we did have a problem my daughter has made it quite clear that it's the way it is.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

I would say the same as what I did to my dad! I don't care that you and mum split up and you're with someone else (who by the way isnt actually invited becuase she caused so much *** in the past but thats not the point) You are MY parents! If you wish to give me away you will suck it up for a couple of hours not sitting with your new woman, get over it! Its not YOUR day its MINE!

I also said the same thing to my mother!

I know it seems harsh, but at the end of the day it is your day, and if your dad is giving you away its a prviledge not a given so he should respect what you want on your wedding day, and if that is

It's not tradition to have your parents sat together anyway (not saying that you are sticking to tradition or anything, but you could always use that as a defense?) I would probably say the same to your MIL too to be honest...if she cant bear to be apart from her husband for 2 hours whilst you eat, in my eyes theres something wrong.

I dont mean to cause offence to anyone, but thats how I tackled it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics