Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2013

Top Table etiquette

morristobe, 21 March, 2013 at 13:38 Posted on Planning 0 14

How are you having the top table?

There will be my CBM (Sister), mum, dad, bride, groom, our son (19 months), MIL, FIL, BM.

I was thinking of doing it in that order but everyone I speak to suggests a different order.

Thanks

14 replies

Latest activity by havecreditwillwed, 21 March, 2013 at 22:34
  • slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

We are having:

Bestman myfuturestepson motherinlaw bride groom mymum mystepdad mystepmum my dad mymaidofhonour

sod etiquette!!! lol x

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Ooops missed out FIL - between me and my MIL x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Entirely up to you. Traditional etiquette dictates you mix the parents up but I didn't bother.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Debretts suggest:

chief bridesmaid, father of the groom, mother of the bride, groom, bride, father of the bride, mother of the groom, best man

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

We are having a small top table

Mum, Dad, Bride, Groom, MIL, FIL

We asked the best man where we wanted to sit, with his partner or on the top table. He said with his partner as he will be nervous about the speech and his partner can calm him ha. Bridesmaid are on one table, not having a MOH or CBM as i have two sisters and couldn't pick.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm going to have to mix up my parents, otherwise they'll no doubt end up lamping each other.... ?

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    FMG ·
    • Hide content

My OH doesn't have his parents anymore and is not close to his grandparents but is very close to my family so we are having;

CBM, FOB, Bride, Groom, MOB, BM

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

Like everyone else has said - wherever you want them. Etiquette can be useful, but it's only starting point (if that).

I once MC'd a wedding where the Father of the Bride sat (with his new wife) as far away from the top table as he could be. His only contribution to the proceedings seemed to be to pay for everything. But no-one seemed particularly unhappy with the arrangement.

Guy

• A
    Beginner April 2013
    aimzxx ·
    • Hide content

We're similar to a few folk - However my parents arent together to they'll be sat together (they get on amazingly) under the glaring eyes of their new partners!

Mum, Dad, Me, Mr A, MIL, Best man (BIL)

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what we had, but we also had MOH's husband (he was also an usher and my BIL). It worked for us as our parents get on great with each other, but if they were uncomfortable with each other, I wouldn't have hesitated to put the two couples together.

• M
    Beginner July 2014
    MrsC2b14 ·
    • Hide content

We are having us and our kids

my youngest son, his eldest daughter, hb, me, my eldest son, his youngest daughter Done it this way so the kids get to sit on top table and we can all be together. Youngest ones are as far away from each other as possible to stop messing around :-)

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

We are having:

Sis (bridesmaid) my gran, step father, mother, grandfather (acting FOB for the day!) me, OH, MIL, FIL, best man

• F
    Beginner October 2014
    FutureMrsFellows ·
    • Hide content

We will be having

best man, grooms step father, grooms dad, grooms mum, groom, bride, brides father, brides mum, made of honour, best man

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

I usually check in with Debretts for the official etiquette, then I adapt it to work for me. No-one else has any idea of the etiquette anyway, so if it is wrong or right, no-one will know!

My only tips would be that boy/girl/boy/girl works well, and maybe put someone next to your son who is used to wrangling him at mealtimes, just thinking about when your Groom makes his speech, an experienced pair of hands can make sure that your little one is looked after :-)

The etiquette is only set up that way to ensure that there is plenty of conversation and that all are involved in the conversation, avoiding couples falling into their own private discussions as they are sat next to each other. If you think a mix-up of the parents might make for more silences than for chat then don't bother!

I am an absolute stickler for good manners, but I really do think that the order people sit in is not as important as ensuring that everyone enjoys themselves and is relaxed. No one will look at your Top Table and wonder why your BM is sat next to your FIL.

xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics