Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2013

Top table - H2B's kids

KittyMcCat, 19 of August of 2013 at 19:28 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi, could really do with some advice regarding top table seating arrangements.

My H2B has four children (age range between 10 -15, the eldest is our best man) and he wants them at the top table with us which only has space for eight people. Kids want to be on top table too.

Really not sure how we should sit as we will either be slightly off to one side with the four kids in a row next to H2B, or we would have to split the kids up which would mean we would be flanked either side by H2B's family which would make me feel a bit swamped and I also feel it excludes my own family too much (especially as my family is very tiny so only four members will be there).

All the tables in the room are long in shape as there is not enough space for round which would have solved the problem!

Any suggestions/advice? Would us as the couple sitting not dead centre look a bit odd?

10 replies

Latest activity by KittyMcCat, 20 of August of 2013 at 12:43
  • Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

Is there no way at all the table could be lengthened? Who else needs to be sat at the top table other than you OH and his kids? I'm just trying to get a picture in my head of how it could work Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to the venue? Is there no way they can extend the table?

Will your parents be there as well as OH's parents? So ideally 10 of you?

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    KittyMcCat ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately there's no way the table can be lengthened, space is very limited. I was planning on having my mum and brother (who is giving me away) at the table with me, other than that I don't mind. Not sure whether there is a way round this one actually other than not having the kids at the top table with us, but then I'll look like the wicked stepmum :-(

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

What about if the kids sort of turned the corner of the table? It might be a bit cramped for them but might be preferable to not having them up there?

The venue might not go for it but it could be worth asking?

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    KittyMcCat ·
    • Hide content

I did think about turning the corner but the two kids who were not on the top table would be very upset.

I guess me and H2B not being in the centre is a no-no then?

Thanks everyone for the responses so far, much appreciated.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I thought the problem was that you had ten people to fit on, not 8? Do his parents not need to be on there then?

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    KittyMcCat ·
    • Hide content

No, his dad is widowed and is just coming with a friend (no partner) and he is not fussed about where he sits. So basically it's us two, my mum and brother, and the four kids. I was worried it'll look a bit strange though... and not sure how the alternative of having the kids seated near us but not actually on the top table would seem mean on them? Especially as the eldest is best man?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Why can't you just have the kids on either side?

Kid - Kid - Brother - Groom - Bride - Mum - Kid - Kid

Or just have yourself off centre - it doesn't really matter.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

OH and I are going to be off centre. It will be :-)

My gran/My sister (BM)/my step dad/My Mum/My Gramps/Me/OH/OH Mum/OH step Dad/best man :-)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This seems ideal...?

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    KittyMcCat ·
    • Hide content

Having had a ponder I think we will go off centre if that's not considered too odd (I don't want to split my mum and brother up as my mum is not fluent in English therefore really needs to be sat with my brother if I don't want to "babysit" her throughout the wedding breakfast)

Thanks all, really appreciate the suggestions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics