Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2016

top table hell

STEPHLOU88, 23 of February of 2015 at 14:06 Posted on Planning 0 7

Afternoon ladies. I was planning a secret wedding but plans have since changed. My grandparents have offered to help fund a meal and evening reception which is amazing. So with that in mind I have told my partner that I had booked a date. He was rather shocked.

I'm in need of help with top table ideas . Including us there will be 34 people. 10 of which are children. Both parents are divorced with new partners. My parents don't get on. We have 2 sons. I really don't want just me and my partner on top table . I did suggest having us best man and chief bridesmaid. But oh said it wouldn't be fair on bestmans partner (she doesn't know anyone. Help I'm not sure what to think . X

7 replies

Latest activity by BubbleBees, 23 of February of 2015 at 20:33
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Here is what I would do....

Have you both and your sons on the top table - your family unit.

Then, I would seat each parent and partner on their own table with relatives they get on with. These parents can be seen as the 'host' of their table IYKWIM.

Hope this helps

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    STEPHLOU88 ·
    • Hide content

My boys will be 2 and 4. And I think there would be issues they wernt sitting with there cousins Smiley sad

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. If your boys are so young, will your family be happy looking after them through the meal? And will they be happy away from you for so long?

The other way would be to have best man, moh and their partners.

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Miss-KEM ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar problem - my parents are still together but oh parents are divorced and have new partners. Still thinking how i am going to do this but plenty time to figure it out.

Just do whatever feels best for you. A traditional top table has mother of the bride with grooms father and vice versua - this may be best for you if your parents don't get on.

Good luck and don't worry too much.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is a similar size- we aren't bothering with a specific top table, it'll be a U shape with us in the centre and family spread over the sides. Mum by us. Oh parents somewhere at top-nothing as formal as a top table.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

If there's only 34 at the wedding could you do a few long rectangular shaped tables and just have you two in the middle of one with your boys. That way there won't be any top table faux pas as there won't really be a top table.

I have a similar pickle, my parents are divorced and one can no longer verbally communicate due to a neurological condition that is progressive, so it's pretty awful and awkward for both families of my parents. So we are just sitting on our own table, circular just like the rest of our guests, with our BMs, best man, ushers and usherette.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

We're not doing a table plan. We've only invited family and it will be the only time mine and his ever meet for the most part.

We'll mark *our* seats, but the rest (28 people) need to seat themselves. As everyone should have had the previous evening together were hopeful that some conversations get going, and the odd connection is made.

We've got 6 children 7 and under in that family mix. Mind you, we're not having bridesmaids (we're giving the girls lovely dresses!) nor a best man as its family only - R. could ask his sister I guess ... anyhoo.

Small venues are really hard to find so yours must have experience of 'difficult' arrangements - could you ask them for ideas?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics