Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2022 Greater Manchester

Top table help

Bee, 11 of February of 2022 at 22:11 Posted on Planning 0 12
Hi all,

Possibly a slightly unique situation but I’m hoping someone might have some ideas to help.
I’m having trouble with sorting out the top table. My H2B mum sadly died last year, and one of my bridesmaids may not be able to sit close to us on the top table (for reasons beyond everyone’s control). Best mans wife and kids will be at the wedding so I thought it would be best for them to sit together rather than apart?
But that leaves an odd number. Me, H2B, H2bs father, my mum, my dad, bridesmaid no 2 and usher. My mum thinks this will look odd. But I don’t know what else to do? It feels odd to bring someone else onto the top table (ie a different family member) to even it up when some of the bridal party won’t be on there.
Any ideas? I don’t want a bride and groom only top table Smiley smile
TIA

12 replies

Latest activity by Eleanor, 14 of February of 2022 at 10:19
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    Would it be a possibility for the best man to sit on the top table and his family to sit at the nearest table to them? That was it’ll give you an even number and the best man won’t be too far away from his family.
  • MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    We have an odd number, as my fiancé's mum is on her own, so we switched to a round "top table" rather than a long one, with him and me at the back facing the rest of the room so it didn't look unbalanced.
    In my experience, it's not unusual for the bridal party to sit away from their spouse etc. and be on the top table. I'd say it was more odd to not have the best man up there than to have an odd number, particularly if he is doing a speech. Why don't you ask the best man whether he would rather be on the top table with the rest of the bridal party or with his family?
    That being said, I expect having an odd number is one of those things that we as brides really worry about, but guests probably won't notice or care.
  • B
    Bee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I think you’re right. I need to speak to the best man and see if that option would work for him. It’s not a big venue so he wouldn’t be too far away Smiley smile
  • B
    Bee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Round top table is a nice idea thank you, I’ll look into that. I’ll speak to the best man as well and see if he’d be happy being slightly away from his family - they could be on the next table.
    I think you’re right, it’s one of those little things that is niggling but probably won’t make much difference on the day
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's fairly standard for the bridal party to be on the top table, even if that means sitting apart from partners and children. The only issue with the best man being on the top table is if the number/age of his kids mean his wife will have trouble looking after them on her own. I would ask the couple what they feel about it. If they're happy to sit apart (maybe with her & the kids on the table nearest the top table) then go ahead. If they'd rather sit together then an uneven top table is no big deal.

• Kate7695
    Dedicated May 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    I totally understand your predicament! We have a lot of odd numbers too and awkward family situations. We're having a sweetheart table instead. Then it's just you and your honey x
  • L
    Beginner May 2022 Co Antrim
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    This is the exact reason we are doing a sweetheart table and using our flower arch behind us. Plus everyone always says it’s nice to have a moment for just you two x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    We have an odd number and have actually put parents on other tables and just having us and our daughter then our Best Man, MOH, their daughter who is flower girl and our usher.

I get what you say about best man and family, but, it is only a couple of hours so can they sit on top table.with their family on a nearby one?.if not maybe just have you 2 and your parents so is just 5 of you
  • L
    Curious April 2023 Warwickshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Hi,
    Can i ask was your h2b father still in a relationship when his h2b mum died? the reason i ask it may be really difficult for him to be sat their on his own. If h2b has any siblings or if an aunt or uncle could sit with h2b father maybe? My sister got married shortly after my dad died and my own wwas on the top table on her own and it felt obvious he should of been their and ehen people went ro chat between she was on her own. We arent doing a top table but i know quite a few hVe had just the best man, made of honor and then parents and both made of honor/best man had partners/children etc but they sat on a sat separate table. They just then went and saw them between the courses etc if your having a three course.

• Katharine
    Beginner March 2022 Somerset
    Katharine ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bee. I've had a similar dilemma as my father passed away last year. I was going to sit my sister on the top table with my mum but she's now unable to come to the wedding. In the end we've gone for my fiancé's parents and on my side my mum and one of my bridesmaids. The other bridesmaid and the best man are going to sit with their families. I think the most important thing is what is right for you as every situation is unique.

• Dee85
    Curious April 2022 Cornwall
    Dee85 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi,

We are having 7 too & I dont think people will mind or notice given the excitement of the day. It would be hard to swap people around to accommodate an even number too. There is so much detail to worry about & I don’t think this one is worth worrying about. Your day will be amazing I am sure x x
  • Eleanor
    Curious May 2024 Nottinghamshire
    Eleanor ·
    • Hide content
    My H2B parents won’t be attending and we felt it might look one sided with the usual top table. Instead, we’re just having a top table as the married couple and all of our guests will be on tables together. It means that families, partners of bridesmaids etc. can sit together rather than being on their own too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics