Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2017

Top table issues

lucyjo, 15 of November of 2016 at 09:34 Posted on Planning 0 9

Is anyone doing anything unusual for their top table?

Like a lot of people, mine and OH's family set-up is complicated, so the traditional parents/best man/bridesmaid etc arrangement just won't work for us. I'm thinking maybe we'll just sit with friends, but then would that look weird for toasts when my dad stands up at a completely different table? Decisions, decisions.....

Tell me what you're doing - I need inspiration! Smiley smile

x

9 replies

Latest activity by lucyjo, 17 of November of 2016 at 15:03
    Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

For split families, I have seen families get around it by having a table for the couple and then get someone who would sit at the top table to 'host' their own table around the room. It was quite a novel little idea and the table plan was 'Table 2 hosted by MOB', 'Table 3 hosted by FOG' etc.

Maybe worth something for you to look at?

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the same conundrum! No idea how to resolve it.

My parents are still together, but they haven't met H2B's before. H2B's parents divorced years ago, & currently neither of them have partners. I think they would prefer to sit with their own families (MIL with her brother & son etc, and FIL with his son from another relationship & his step-daughter & family), plus my mum & dad are a bit socially awkward so would maybe be better off sitting with my sister & family, but like you say, then my dad is on a separate table for speeches (if we decide to have best man & bridesmaids on our table).

The other problem is the caterers are trying to insist on tables of 10 (my guess is so they have to provide less waiting staff the fewer tables we have), but then if we go down the route of sitting with our best man & partner, & BMs & partners, we need to find another couple so then who do you choose?! I am DREADING the table plan to be honest...

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

FMIL doesn't speak English well and is very shy, so we're having a ''sweetheart table'' with just us, then our parents will sit with our families at separate tables, and BMs, Best Man etc will be sat with friends.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

My parents are divorced, mu dd is re-married and my mum has a new partner. OH and I will have a sweetheart table (just the two of us) and then my parent's and their partners aren't separated. just seemed to make sense to us Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your input, everyone! Yes, a sweetheart table is currently the only plan we have. My only concern is that it might seem a bit anti-social, and that we might feel a bit exposed with everyone looking at us! But it sounds like lots of you are doing this so maybe it's not as scary as it seems! Smiley smile

Our main problem is a) OH isn't having a best man, and b) OH's family is hard work and may not even show up! So our support network is massively weighted to my side. He completely appreciates how aggravating his family are and he gets on just fine with all of mine, but I'm afraid that sitting with just my family would be a bit of a public statement that my family is more important than his. Which in a sense they are, because we've had squat support from his side and mine have been amazing to us! But I'm not sure it would be a good idea to publicise that!

We were considering sitting on a table with all the ushers and bridesmaid and their partners...only there's too many of them for one table!! Argh.

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I haven't read everyone's replies. I got too excited and hit reply first!

We had a sweetheart table, it was hands down one of the best decisions we made! It gave us a bit of time to sit on our own and chat about the day (everyone told me to try and steal a bit of time for just the two of us as the day goes too fast), we were able to sit back and enjoy everyone enjoying themselves, and it meant that we were free to leave our table and mingle in between courses without leaving a big gap in the top table!

For the speeches my Dad and the Best Men came and stood next to us. The videographer and photographer suggested this rather than them staying in their seats - apparently it makes it better for them. It does because on our video you can see our reactions at the same time as them speaking, and saves everyone from swiveling their heads like they are at a tennis match.

We didn't have our backs to anyone, so try and position yourselves so that you can look out at your party.

I've flashed some pics below!

Sweetheart tables all the way!!!! Smiley smile

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I think I might suggest this, sounds like a good solution!

Can I just say again Katie, you looked incredible! ?

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

We haven't finalised table places yet but we will have a similar issue.

My mum and dad have split up and re-married, which with OH's parents makes 6 people, so with us and best man, maid of honour etc it won't work. Who sits where??

We think we will still have a top table but for us, bridesmaids and groomsmen which makes 9, then have my mum and stepdad with my nanny and granddad, then on a separate table my dad and stepmum with dad's mum and and dad. My dad is making a speech and my stepdad is writing a poem so they both have roles.

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?? thank you doll x

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooh Katie you may have just convinced me. That sounds amazing! And I agree, you look fabulous!! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics