Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner June 2016

Top Table Seating Dilemma.

Gemz85, 26 of November of 2015 at 13:08 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all,

Just looking for a few suggestions/ideas for Top Table, but first I need to explain the situation.

Firstly, my parents are separated (not divorced) due to my dad having an affair. He is still with the woman he had the affair with and I get along with her perfectly fine. I have been completely honest with them and told them what they did to my mother was wrong but it all happened over 6 years ago and none of my family speak to my dad... only me and his partner has only ever met me. I have no intentions of pushing him aside, so my dad will be giving me away and I'm quite happy to spend my whole wedding with him to be sure that he is not ignored or made to feel unwelcome. I also don't expect my dad to attend my wedding without his partner. My mum is still single.

Secondly, my h2b's dad passed away 9 years ago and his mother has been single ever since. He is not close to his uncle and he does not have any friends (that sounds horrible but neither do I. Our friends are each other)

Thirdly, I am only having one bridesmaid and she is only 14. Top table seating shows that she should sit on the end next to father of the groom. As above, there is no father of the groom and I don't want her to be sat next to someone she does not know.

SO...My question is.... how can I arrange the top table seating when their is no father of the groom and where can I seat my dad's partner? Also How can I move the bridesmaid closer to me, my mother or my partner as we will be the only people she knows at the top table?

9 replies

Latest activity by Mrsjones2024, 28 of November of 2015 at 20:04
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think traditional etiquette only allows for traditional families which a lot of us don't have now. I wouldn't worry about being too traditional and do what feels right for you and your family set up. Feel free to keep which traditions you like and change the ones that you don't like or won't work for you.

The only other alternative is to consider a sweetheart table for you and your h2b and have the people who would have been on the top table 'hosting' other tables nearby.

would either of those options work for you?

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes when having a traditional top table doesn't work, people tend to scrap it completely and just sit on a 'normal' table so it blends in with everyone else. Or as Jayne said, a sweetheart table could be perfect. If you're still not sure, you could have a smaller table for 4 or 6. There's some ideas here: http://www.toptableplanner.com/top_table_seating_arrangements.php

Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Yes break the tradition and organise the seating to suit you.

Ours was complicated too so we ended up having our 2 kids, and our closest friends and their 2 kids on our table.

My 2 nieces who were bridesmaids (13 and 4) sat with their mum and our parents were sat on 2 different tables amongst other family members who they got on with.

I just made sure that our parents were seated close by to us on their table.

Don't feel obligated to stick to tradition - these days anything goes.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

We looked at both top table and sweetheart table but decided, ultimately, that top table made more sense for us.

In your situation, however, I think sweetheart table is the way to go! Then you can seat BM with her family, Mum with your siblings and Dad and his GF can sit together somewhere Smiley smile

Otherwise, I would do this:

Mother of the Groom, Father of the Bride, Bride, Groom, Mother of the Bride, Best Man

I think that is the most balanced way to do a Top Table in your case. Your Dad's partner will just have to sit with people she doesn't know. Do you have a table with Aunts and Uncles on it?

• G
    Beginner June 2016
    Gemz85 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. My aunts and uncles will only be attending the buffet reception. Both myself and hubby2be have very large families and it is impossible to to fit them all in so we decided to have siblngs, their partners, nieces and nephews and best friends only to the wedding breakfast.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have any BMs on my top table, only the best man. There wasn't enough space, and I figured they would have a better time being seated next to their partners.

In your shoes, I think a sweetheart table might be the most diplomatic way of dealing with your family set-up. If you do decide to go for a top table, I agree that your dad Gf should sit elsewhere. You might want to give your dad gf a heads up about this and give her the option of attending the buffet only if she feels uncomfortable sitting with strangers.

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

Sorry if I sound thick, but what is a sweetheart table?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a table for the bride and groom only, personally I don't like them as I find them a bit antisocial but I can see how it might be an option in a situation like this.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Instead of a top table for everyone you have small two seater table at the front for you and husband and everyone else sits elsewhere.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

How do you feel about having your dad's partner on the top table?

My parents are divorced and don't speak at all. The last time they were in a room together was about 10 years ago! They will be civil though and say hello and I don't foresee any problems on the day (I hope).

I don't want to leave my dad's wife alone so I am planning on having her on the top table with my dad. I want everyone to be sat next to someone they know and can talk to.

I have four bridesmaids, my sister, my friend who is married, one friend who has a long term partner who won't really know too many people and another friend who has a partner and two kids. So with that in mind, I'm keeping them all together on one table and my sister will sit with aunts, uncles and cousins.

So my top table looks like this at the moment:

My Dad's wife My Dad Best Man Groom Bride My Mum Groom's Mum Groom's dad

Hope this helps x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics