Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2017

Top Table Troubles

speckled-cookie-, 19 of January of 2016 at 15:36 Posted on Planning 0 13

The Top Table Plan will all be traditional, apart from the Maid of Honour. Im not having one. Just two bridesmaids. I wouldnt want to pick between the two, to choose one to sit on the Top Table. Who can i sit there instead? or no one?

So far the table plan goes like this:
(Maid of Honour Space), Grooms Father,Brides Mother,Groom, Bride, Brides Father, Grooms Mother, Best Man

Thank you for your help

13 replies

Latest activity by Dolce Gusto, 21 of January of 2016 at 11:20
  • L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

At my first wedding I had all my bridesmaids siting at the top table! I had 4.

All except the flower girl however when I turned round she had been squeezed in cos she felt left out she was only 3 bless her

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Are your bridesmaids walking down the aisle one by one, or in a pair? Maybe you could give one of them the Maid of Honour spot in the processional and the other the Maid of Honour spot at the top table?

• P
    Beginner March 2016
    PurpleRain88 ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a Maid of Honour either, and I also have two bridesmaids I wouldn't want to choose between. We're just having our parents at the top table, and then our wedding party and their partners are at their own table (makes for a very small top table but I like that)

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I like purplerains idea. Or just have both bridesmaids and best man on the top table. Ok it won't be 'even' but I don't see it matters and isn't with a lot of extended families or remarried parents nowadays.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

We arent having the best men or my bm on the top table, just parents.

OH's parents are divorced so the table would be too big if we had BM and best men too Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

We're just having us and parents on the top table. I didn't want to only have one of my two bridesmaids up there or have an odd number. The best man and one bridesmaid both have partners who don't know a lot of the other guests so it made sense for us to do it that way.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't/wouldn't choose between my bridesmaids either so I sat my bridesmaids, the best man, the ushers and their partners on two of the tables nearest to the top table (they wouldn't fit on one), along with a couple of other close friends. It worked really well as they all had a laugh together. We just had us and parents on the top table.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I also have two BMs and I wouldn't want to choose between them for the top table, plus I want them to be able to sit with their partners. We also want the best man to be able to sit with his wife and their baby. H2B's dad+partner aren't keen on sitting on the top table, they would rather sit with everyone else (if they do indeed come, but that's another story), which left us with a top table of just us and my parents...!

As we are having three long trestle tables, our solution is this: H2B and I sit at each of the three tables for a different part of the meal (mains, dessert, speeches - we're not having starters), everyone else stays where they are. We get to sit with all the people we want to without singling people out or separating couples etc.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I would do both or none, and not worry about filling the space with someone else. I like the suggested idea of sitting them with their partners/families - we are doing that for the 3 bridesmaids who aren't my sister. But at the same time if you want them with you, it wouldn't be odd to have both of them.

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I have actually decided to have a top table of just the two of us! I think they are sometimes referred to as sweetheart tables.

This is mainly to do with the fact that we both have step parents, and we didn't like the idea of a huge top table, and the thought of actually getting a little time together just the two of us while we try to eat was really appealing!

I'm a little worried we will look a bit weird as people won't of seen it before but I'm hoping with all the other tables around us it'll be okay.

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

I think sweetheart tables are becoming more common. I've been to a wedding where the bride and groom had one and it was wasn't weird at all.

• Sweeties
    Beginner November 2016
    Sweeties ·
    • Hide content

We were planning on it being the two of us and our parents on our top table. That way the bridesmaids partners are not sat with people they don't know. But we are having afternoon tea, so a little more informal.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

When I got married the first time I had three bridesmaids. One adult and her two daughters who were 3 and 7 at the time. I didn't really have a maid of honour although it could be argued that the adult was by default. None of them sat at the top table.

• D
    Beginner February 2016
    Dolce Gusto ·
    • Hide content

If you don't want to choose between them, why not have them both? We are doing exactly that, along with 2 best men and a combined total of 3 parents so a top table of 9. Sometimes what you want is more important than what you feel you should do.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics