Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Top table where there are lack of parents and step parents

HappyPinkCars11, 9 of July of 2013 at 17:20 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to plan my wedding and have gotten to the top table issue. My grooms parents split up however are still friendly with each other and my future mother in law has remarried. Whilst my parents split up when I was 7 and my mother has never remarried. My "father" will not be attending the wedding.

My future brother in law got married a couple of years ago and their step dad wasnt included in the top table which caused arguments and upset in the day and they have said that they hope we don't do the same thing. However, if we include him, where should he sit. Obviously not in the grooms fathers place as that will upset the father. Should I put him in my fathers space as its obviously going to be empty, but that has inexplicably seemed to upset my mum. Or should I just say parents only, which obviously going to upset The step father.

I honestly don't know what to do and am getting seriously upset and worked up about this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies

Latest activity by sdurn, 10 of July of 2013 at 11:21
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Have everyone you want there, and do a non-traditional layout. If you include your chief bridesmaid and best man or some siblings, it will be even easier to distribute and space everyone, without looking like anyone has taken anyone else's place.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

You could have what i believe is called a `sweetheart` table with just the two of you, then distribute everyone else on tables with their own friends/family.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We did this and it worked really well. We had issues over my lack of dad, OHs lack of mum and various issues with family members. Much easier all round.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Do a "lovers" table or sit with friends and have parents and step parents host their own tables!

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

I don't remember exactly how I did it when I got married last time. I think it was:

cbm, son, step father, mother, me, exH, father, MIL, FIL, fathers gf, BM, BMs wife.

So not us exactly in the middle but it really didn't matter. I wouldn't leave the step father out.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I went with non-traditional top table too. Doesn't need to be boy-girl-boy layout either. I included my brother & his fiancé, as dad no longer alive & OH's parents didn't come!

If you can fit everyone on the top table, even non traditional layout, then do so, otherwise have your own table for the 2 of you.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Do you have to have a 'top table?

We knew from the off that we didn't - we wanted a relaxed reception where everyone was comfortable, so put all the 'oldies' on one table, the 'youths' on another, a couple of adults with children tables etc, then we were at the centre of them all with our youngest 3 children plus 2 sisters, BILs and their children. It was a great atmosphere, nobody felt 'superior' to anyone else and it was really easy to mingle....

Don't feel like you HAVE to stick to tradition unless you really want to xx

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We won't be having a traditional top table because we have H2B's step-mother who is fairly insistent that she should be at it instead of his mother since she brought him up. Our thoughts are to have either a sweetheart table or a table with just us and our children. I now think MWAH's option of no top table at all sounds perfect for us. We can sit with our own children, Best Man and his partner and daughter and MOH who will be on her own.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Agree with everyone else, a table with just the 2 of you would be nice, but if you don't want that you're best to just placing everyone where they fit and get on best etc and don't stick to tradition, lots of people don't do it the traditional way anymore because of family issues so it isn't a must.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We had a table with us, my son, best man and his family. 7 of us.

The next table was huge (they weren't round tables so we could do this) and had all family on, his and mine. Then smaller tables from there for friends.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

My daughter had a similar dilema. All four parents had new partners (one of them same sex) and not all exes got on, so on my suggestion, she only had the bridesmaids and two bestmen on the top table.... problem solved.

Every family is different and in many cases, trying to stick to tradition is like fitting a square peg into a round hole!!!!!

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    sdurn ·
    • Hide content

I have a something of a similar issue,
    Groom - parents still together
    Bride (that me :p) - parents divorced and hate eachother plus, my dad wants to kill my step dad and my mum is hated my step mum.

I decided that it will be: top table - bride groom, bridesmaids and best man plus ushers. My parents can look after there own little tables. My top table would of been HUGE otherwise.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics